mtbr member
    May 2004

Zig Zag Phil's: "Best" route?

Over planning as usual.
    With so many good ways both up and down I keep staring at the map trying to put a "best of" route in for a pile of noobs I'm bringin down next week.
    Here's my tentative route from the camp spot off the clearing below KGB.

Up KGB, GS, Storm King.
    Down Lwr Whoops (Upper is a waste of vert)/Ben's to T/H
    Up Ken's/Voodoo/Ben's/310 road
    Down Phil's, 010 back to camp.
    Add others as needed afterwards. Might shuttle up to 310 road and do Storm King/GS down to camp since it's sooooo good. Or, Whoops/300/Phil's again.

Riding the tourist loop out KGB/White road/to the River trail next day up to Benham and back to Aspen T/H. Cross over 500 to lwr Storm King to COD/ELV/KGB back to camp.

So, not missing much.

Nat, I would like specifics on finding the "shortcut" fm KGB to COD if the lower stuff is closed. How far from the junction above camp at the switchbacks is the right towards COD? (There's a bunch of old roads out that way and I can just get a bearing and head South if needed.)

Thanks!

Gittyup!
    Not sure about the shortcut of which you speak, but it's highly doubtbul that any of the COD/KGB stuff will be closed during the time you are here. A friend rode it yesterday and said they were wide open. Going to do Helipad -> Storm King -> COD -> KGB today, so I'll report back on what I find. If it's not shut down today, I can't imagine they'll be doing any work out there over the long weekend. You should be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo

Nat, I would like specifics on finding the "shortcut" fm KGB to COD if the lower stuff is closed. How far from the junction above camp at the switchbacks is the right towards COD? (There's a bunch of old roads out that way and I can just get a bearing and head South if needed.)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks!
    I'm not exactly sure either. Not sure where the new COD "bypass" is as well. Typically, I'd just ride down KGB to the power line (white?) road and take that South to the paved road and cross, heading up stream over the shelf on that cool little switchback section and then down to the river there to head up to Benham and back via Storm King/COD/KGB.... That's a week from today's route so I'm not sure if the signs and fencing will be up by then. Nor, if it will, where the fencing will exactly be. But, I know it well enough to "wing it" for a non-local...

Man, I'm going to owe a lot of people a lot of beer by the time this trip is over.....

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Thanks!
    I'm not exactly sure either. Not sure where the new COD "bypass" is as well. Typically, I'd just ride down KGB to the power line (white?) road and take that South to the paved road and cross, heading up stream over the shelf on that cool little switchback section and then down to the river there to head up to Benham and back via Storm King/COD/KGB.... That's a week from today's route so I'm not sure if the signs and fencing will be up by then. Nor, if it will, where the fencing will exactly be. But, I know it well enough to "wing it" for a non-local...

Man, I'm going to owe a lot of people a lot of beer by the time this trip is over.....
    That shortcut is hard to describe, but it's not exactly hidden. I think people just blaze right past it without seeing it. From White Road if you were to climb up the switches just west of the big open space, you know how you go about 1/2 mile before there's another set of switches descending back down off of the hill (used to be a couple of 4-legged skeletons there)? Well, the connector trail is right about in the middle of the two sets of switchbacks, right on top of the hill. It used to be a 2-track road but got reworked into singletrack.

I figured out where the "new COD" is. It parallels Century Drive just above the pavement by about 100ft. and acts as the new route for when the open space will be fenced off. You access it from the dirt road just up a ways from the Entrada Lodge. Not too exciting.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. I can figure that out. I accidentally went that way one time. Kind of ends up in a drainage and is pretty fast down heading East? We'll be camping right off the upper switches by where the big rocks border the clearing. So, real familiar with that.

Thanks again. Hope it clears by next week...