One life, One boss

Yet another ride suggestion in the Brightwood area

I'll be in Brightwood for a few days in the beginning of Oct. Done some searching and thinking either Knebal Springs or Surveyors Ridge looks fun. I will have a shuttle option (if needed). I prefer to bring my SS instead of my Intense tracer. Downieville and that type of technical rocky riding is in my backyard (everyday riding) so I hope to change things up a bit with the SS.

Anyone have a suggested route or ride choice or different location within reach?

Cheers!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ride Glade Trail

Quote Originally Posted by aka AK
    I'll be in Brightwood for a few days in the beginning of Oct. Done some searching and thinking either Knebal Springs or Surveyors Ridge looks fun. I will have a shuttle option (if needed). I prefer to bring my SS instead of my Intense tracer. Downieville and that type of technical rocky riding is in my backyard (everyday riding) so I hope to change things up a bit with the SS.

Anyone have a suggested route or ride choice or different location within reach?

Cheers!
    Just kidding...a very rocky downhill. I would try Flag Mountain or Pioneer Bridle Trail.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Knebal is a great choice, especially for a SS as it doesn't have much in the way of brutal grinders. Surveyors is also a good choice if you can get shuttled. Get dropped off at the trailhead on Road 44 (the road to Dufur), a few miles up from where it intersects with Hwy 35, & have the shuttle meet you either under the powerlines up Pinemont Road ( a road that heads East about a 1/4 mile south of Hanel's Mill) or you can turn right onto a gravel road when you reach the powerlines & follow it about a 1/4 mile to where it Ts into the Surveyors Ridge Road. Turn left onto that road & follow it a few miles down to the intersection of Pinemont & Hwy 35 & have the shuttle meet you there or you can make a right onto Hwy 35 & go about a 1/4 mile to the Roadhouse Restaurant where your shuttle driver can have a beer while they wait for you. The road down from the powerlines is all level or downhill & goes from paved to gravel for a short stretch, then back to pavement the rest of the way to 35. No sneaky turnoffs or tricky intersections, just follow the main road to the highway & you'll be fine.
    If you want to stay closer to Brightwood you can also look into Gunsight/Gumjuwac with a shuttle drop at the top of Bennett Pass. It would be wise to have a knowledgeable shuttle driver for this one so if you don't know someone that knows how to get there you're better off saving it for next time.
    Have fun & be careful (it sounds like you'll be riding solo, yes?)

mtbr member
    Another suggestion would be to stay right near Brightwood and get dropped off at Ski Bowl then ride the singletrack East to the Optimator trail, climb out and cross HWY 26, climb up the single track at Summit Ski area and take a right on the only doubletrack you will cross, up to the top of the lift, then ride brand new singletrack down to Crosstown, to the downhill/XC ride all the way to Rhododendron. Its a super fun 2 hour plus ride, you can also combo with Flag Mtn. AND you save 1+ hour drive time!

I love this loop.

Just a thought

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd
    Another suggestion would be to stay right near Brightwood and get dropped off at Ski Bowl then ride the singletrack East to the Optimator trail, climb out and cross HWY 26, climb up the single track at Summit Ski area and take a right on the only doubletrack you will cross, up to the top of the lift, then ride brand new singletrack down to Crosstown, to the downhill/XC ride all the way to Rhododendron. Its a super fun 2 hour plus ride, you can also combo with Flag Mtn. AND you save 1+ hour drive time!

I love this loop.

Just a thought
    Good suggestion!

I need to check out that new trail from top of Summit Ski lift down back down to Crosstown, how long is it? about a mile or so and is it any good?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Yeah its good, rode it again last night.
    Basically the trail starts from the double track across the Westleg trail (which is 1/4 miles uphill from the top of the summit ski lift). But now they have also linked a new uphill singletrack link that starts a few hundred yards after the watertank on the west side of the road. Fun stuff, adds about 1.5-2 more miles of fun and really scenic trail.
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Downieville is quit a bit more fun than any of the trails in that area. You need to head over to Post Canyon in Hood River with that SS! One of the premier freeride areas in the country; trust me, you won't be sorry.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!