Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obviously Single

WRT West: In Great Shape

Hi All:

Just a quick note to say the Wilson River Trail is in great shape this year!

Evidently we haven't had the wind storms (yet?) that the last two years have seen, and there are very few trees down on the trail.

I rode the west end of the Wilson River Trail, from Keenig Creek (almost empty):

This was the only picture I took. I started my ride about 1PM, and I was unsure how long the loop would take in my current ... "shape". So I hauled a$$ once I started riding.

I started riding by heading up the highway for a little over 2 miles (not too bad on a single speed), then crossed back over the Wilson River at Foot Bridge. These pictures are Foot Bridge from a while back (with my friend Tim):

I love this part of the Wilson River Trail, because it is a little more rugged than the rest, getting used much less, so it has fewer peeps, more animals (saw lots of evidence of bears), and it's a hoot to ride the 21 switchbacks coming back down into Keenig Creek.

Here's another photo from last year, from the top of the 21 switchbacks. Nice view from there:

Lastly, here's some data from the ride. First, the elevation profile:

And a Google Maps 3-D view, looking North:

I don't know why more folks don't ride out here, but I was just glad to have a great ride in February!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Singletrack Addict
    Alright, alright, I'll get out there, I promise!

Nice pics Lee, thanks for sharing.
    Living in NEPO, I don't get out that way enough.

I got nothin'

I agree

That's probably my favorite part of WRT too. Very few people venture west of the Footbridge. Last year the section west of Wolf Creek was absolutely hammered with trees down. Mr. Nailon walked from Keening to Wolf Creek to survey the damage and it took him about 4 hours climbing over downed trees and around washouts.

Good to hear the lower section is in good shape this year. I guess some good comes from an El Nino year.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Gales Creek from Reehers

Rode this section yesterday and it was in primo condition. Not a single down tree and nice and tacky.

Obviously Single

How far?

Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl
    Rode this section yesterday and it was in primo condition. Not a single down tree and nice and tacky.
    How far up did you go? All the way to the road at the top?

I understand the other half of that trail, between the road at the top and the Story Burn trail, is wash out badly (i.e. not easy at all to get around it, and if is officially closed).
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, went to the top of Bell Camp Rd and did the full 3.5 miles of down hill singletrack back to Reehers. Then pedaled around the Triple C trail.

The 5.2 miles of Gales Creek Trail between Storey Burn and Bell Camp Rd are still closed.

mtbr member
    What about from Elk Creek down? I'm wanting to take some friends down for an all day torture fest and ride the entire trail, but only if the whole trail "open" and rideable.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    The entire WRT is rideable. There are a couple of trees down but easy to get over/through. Too bad you did not get to it before the rains started again. It does handle the rain well so ride it anytime. I rode Elk to Diamond Mill out and back last Friday and the trail was as good as I've ever seen it.

Obviously Single

Hate to beat a dead horse ...

But another great ride on the almost unused Wilson River Trail. In February, no less!

It was not quite as nice as last time, but I got there earlier and managed a larger loop, getting almost 2000 ft of climbing and 15 miles.

I managed a couple of photos. I'll spare you the obligatory photo of my car and bike waiting for me to get going ... (you're welcome).

I started again at Keenig Creek, then headed up the road. The road is a nice steady warm up for the trail (if only the cards would move over just a little).

I love the flat-ish section of trail between Jones Creek Campground and Foot Bridge, which is the section I added on this ride.

I was pondering a big pile of dirt in the trail I know too well, at the beginning of the big climb, when I ran into another rider. This is quite rare out here.

Turns out to be mattsavage! Cool.

He returned the pic favor.

Last pic is of a pair of bridges around the same area. My friends named one of them (on the right) after my a$$ -- Lee's A$$ Bridge -- 'cause I fell down hard there once (on my you-know-what).

And you know how I love Google Maps ... The Yellow Line is this ride, and the red line is the previous ride (for comparison). [Sorry about all the "Lap"s]

See ya-all out there real soon, now.
    The Lee-Man

MattSavage
    Why is this loser pushing his bike...? Must have forgot how to ride over the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan

Turns out to be mattsavage! Cool.

:
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Why is this loser pushing his bike...? Must have forgot how to ride over the winter...
    LOL

It *is* steeper than it looks.

What I want to know is who is that Fat guy in the Fat guy Jersey?

Matt, we need to ride together some time. You missed the very best part of WRT by not making it all the way.

I measured, and it was about 2 miles past where you stopped to the end.

Hit me up next time you are heading out there! I'd like to figure out a way to ride the whole WRT. I tried it once, as a shuttle with two friends (and one extra car), but they wanted to bale at Foot Bridge, so we took the road on that part. (Plus we started at Kings Mountain.)

I figure maybe 5 hours to do the whole thing? (At least for this slow-a-S-S (as in Single Speeder) old guy.)
    The Lee-Man

MattSavage
    I've done it from the settlement to Elk Cr. and back one morning and that about killed me. But I was trying to keep up a good pace and redeem myself, cause I had done most of it a couple weeks earlier with another guy and he just stomped me. He wasn't even riding that hard... I had to bail out on the way back at Diamond Mill and ride the road to the car. I think that out and back was around 30 miles, so I could probably handle a shuttle of the whole thing if I'm following a fat old guy on a SS... heh,heh...

I'll keep an eye on the weather in the next couple weeks. Next weekend is the Echo race, I might do that, but maybe afterwards we can try an attempt on the whole thing.

Obviously Single
    I tought about trying the Echo Red, but that's a dang log-ass way to drive for a 3-hour race. Since I don't camp as much any more, that usually means a motel room (ahhhh -- hot shower!), perhaps even for 2 nights, since driving home after a 3-hour race can be ... interesting.

Good luck if you go, and PM me if you don't!
    The Lee-Man

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Matt,
    You are too kind. I've never 'stomped' anyone riding. I actually went out too fast that moring we rode toward Elk Creek then back, but somehow managed to survive. I was on the verge of cramping too on the way back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone headed out there on Friday the 5th? I've been out a couple times now and sure loved it. Friday is looking great...Scattered showers, highs in the mid-50's...

Barry
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    Matt,
    You are too kind. I've never 'stomped' anyone riding. I actually went out too fast that moring we rode toward Elk Creek then back, but somehow managed to survive. I was on the verge of cramping too on the way back.
    I sure felt like I was going slow... That was a tough climb. Granny gears and 6" of travel have made me slow and lazy I guess.

The race this weekend should be interesting, considering I don't have an XC bike built up yet... The Remedy it is!

MattSavage
    Lee, are you using your Iphone to collect tracks or are you using a dedicated gps?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Tried it

I ran out there last week and gave the West section described in the first post a try. Took my new helmet cam along for testing as well.

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...2010Medium.flv

Man, the climb from the Kings Mt Trail head to around +3 miles it brutal. The run down is almost worth the climb.

Cool trail. I'll be back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'd like to try this one of these weekend days coming up depending on the weather. I rode the Storey Burn trail out of the Gales Creek campground on Saturday and it was in great shape for the most part.....3 oro 4 places you need to dismount to clear a fallen tree, but pretty dry and not a single person out there...If anyone is heading out this weekend, let me know, I'm always looking for folks to ride with...

mtbr member
    How does a noob manage to find a few people to ride with? I've been wanting to go up there, but I don't know anyone. I've lived here 2 years and haven't made much of an attempt to know anyone. If anyone feels like schooling a nood, PM me. I can get out most weekends.
    So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlion
    How does a noob manage to find a few people to ride with? I've been wanting to go up there, but I don't know anyone. I've lived here 2 years and haven't made much of an attempt to know anyone. If anyone feels like schooling a nood, PM me. I can get out most weekends.

MTBR and Craigslist are the best places to find random riding partners. Though, you can now scratch MTBR off your list since you've self labeled yourself a noob and we want nothing to do with NOOBS... unless they have boobs... JK, JK...

Just throw it out when people are writing about a trail, ask when people are going and if they want to ride or guide someone unfamiliar with the trail around. Don't tell them you're a noob, but don't give them any high expectations either. Before you hit the trail, drop comments like "...old football injury, ...struck by lightning, ...elbow itches, ...damn snatch rash" that way, when they start to drop you on climbs or catch you walking certain sections that they cleaned with ease, you have an excuse to fall back on.

Obviously Single

Garmin, not iPhone!

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Lee, are you using your Iphone to collect tracks or are you using a dedicated gps?
    Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone. It's not the best camera, but it has a camera, and I carry it anyway in case it gets a signal and I need help. (and I love it for email, but not in the woods)

But the battery in my iPhone sucks, and if I use the GPS the battery lasts maybe an hour, tops. (It can last much longer with Blue Tooth off, Wireless off, and of course GPS and display off.)

So I use my good old trusty Garmin Edge 305 for my GPS-ing (and HRM-ing). I wish it would break so I could buy a 705, but no such luck. I've had it maybe 3 years ...

For a long time the Garmin software and Web sites sucked for Apple, but they now support Apple fairly well.

Want to buy a used 305?
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Not Usually on Weekdays ...

Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143
    Anyone headed out there on Friday the 5th? I've been out a couple times now and sure loved it. Friday is looking great...Scattered showers, highs in the mid-50's...

Barry
    Hi Barry:

Didn't mean to ignore you, but not many folks have Fridays off. I know I don't.

I'm lucky to get out of here early enough to ride my trainer (yuk!) on weekdays. But I almost always have both Sat and Sun off ...

Hope you have a great ride (today!).
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

PM Sent ...

Quote Originally Posted by silverlion
    Hi Silver ...

I sent you a PM. I'm planning on riding out there Saturday. I usually prefer Sunday (like last weekend), but I have non-bike plans (gasp) this Sunday with my old Disc Golf buddies in Corn Valley (Corvallis). [That reminds me, I've been trying to figure out a way to ride in McDonald Forest while I'm down there ...]

If you're not available this Saturday, post up a message (as Matt suggested).

When I first got here I posted up a bunch of rides here, since I didn't know anybody. I had mixed success (mostly good) when I posted up enough ahead of time.

Also, try connecting with NWTA (the club that used to be called PUMP). They have a non-official mailing list that many use to arrange rides, and they have their own bulletin board for ride sharing info (which I think has mixed value).

Above all else, keep riding and having fun! The rest will follow, I believe. (Another way of saying you get back what you put out.)

Man, I must be bored at work today!
    The Lee-Man

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Want to buy a used 305?
    I got hooked up with an Incase battery/sleeve for my Iphone, so the battery will last about 7 hours with the GPS runnning, but everything else off. It works pretty well. I use the Trail Guru app.

I'd like to have a 705 as well, but will probably just get a 305 and "borrow" a handheld mapping gps from work... I got kinda lost one time, thought I was on Storey Burn rd., but was actually on the Standard Grade, headed the wrong direction in a super gnarly storm in the dark... Could've used a gps then. Downside to the Iphone, no maps without cellular connection.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.308647&z=12

Hmmm... embedded map isn't working, click on the link above.

Started at Gales Cr. campground in the rain, road the logging rd. up out of there, Gales Creek trail was closed so cut over to Storey Burn but made a right instead of a left, going wrong way, Got dark and cold and was raining sideways before I turned around. On the way back, where I made a wrong turn I could see an old sign that was obscured that said Storey Burn rd. the other way. It was about a 1/2 mile down that rd... I was a little bummed... That wound up being a 40 mile trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast