Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GEAUX TIGERS!!!

WRT, Syncline, 3CR or Falls Creek this weekend?

Its been rain free for the last couple days, so Im heading out to find some "not as muddy" trails this weekend, Jan. 28 and 29.

I have heard that WRT has been totally screwed up by horses, but is it the entire trail or just parts of it?

Is 3CR or Falls Creek for the most part still ridable, due to snow?

If all else fails, there is always Syncline or Sandy Ridge.

Any suggestions, as I have not ridden in over 3 weeks now. Been in Louisiana visitng family and still recovering from that terrible LSU-Bama game :-(

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was at Sandy today and most of 338,QPF, and rock drop have snow. H&S was clear but frozen in the morning so it wasn't too muddy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All of Falls Creek area was snowed out last weekend.

Metalheadbikerider

Gorge Trail 400?

Great Winter trail that never seems to get the press it deserves.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Syncline still has thick snow half way up jeep trail and nearly all of the Maui as of Thurs 1.26 and a ton on water coming down jeep trail. The snow is very slow to retreat even with a few sunny days. Night temps have been in the upper 20s which are also causing freeze/thaw as well... hopefully this weeks rain will help scour out the remaining snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I have still yet to do this ride, how many miles can you rack up? Park in Cascade Locks under bridge and go up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wilson river was almost completely repaired, and was in great shape when I rode it at the beginning of the month. There will be some new blow down from the storms over the last few weeks.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    Been in Louisiana visitng family and still recovering from that terrible LSU-Bama game :-(
    You mean the offensive tour-de-force we all expected to see?

FKA Malibu412
    I'd say WRT only from your selections due to snow still holding on at all the other locations and it may even have some at the higher elev although it is far enough west that the temps there may have risen enough to melt most of it. Not much is ride-able right now with the snow. I was as the Longview/Castle Rock trails and there are pockets of snow even though the highest elev is only about 2200'.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 01-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post

Any suggestions, as I have not ridden in over 3 weeks now. Been in Louisiana visitng family and still recovering from that terrible LSU-Bama game :-(
    Should have brought your bike with you and enjoyed riding dry trails in that 70 degree weather. My old riding buddies have been complaining about the lack of winter, while I'm stuck in the basement on rollers

Cannonball!
    3CR, not so much. Numerous down trees and debris down on the first set of switchbacks, and enough snow to make the climb pretty tough in places (the debris is now mostly clean on that section, but still a couple good sized trees need to be cut out.) Around the bend from the top of the first swichback the debris lessens, but there is still consistently 6+ inches of snow on the trail.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A road bike might be in order or a trip to the gym Or a trip to Maui for a ton of mile like I did

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Or a trip to Maui for a ton of mile like I did
    That's just like you.

(sure I'm jealous)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd expect that there is quite a bit of slick, packed snow on the high parts of the WRT right now. Tried Gales Creek on Friday and gave up at the bridge at the bottom of the Storey Burn climb. but, warmer and drier weather this week could erase all of that.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    That's just like you.

(sure I'm jealous)
    I rent a road bike and ride my legs off! We go once a year and every time I go I fall more in love with that place. The air is cleansing and being able to get up at 6:15. click in, and ride around West Maui is pure magic! A 62 mile trip with incredible scenery at every corner. I love the NW but Maui is stealing my heart and soul. Next trip I rent a mountain bike for a day and ride some trails...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone think Syncline will be clear this Sunday up to the top? Or at least 1/2 way up snow free?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX View Post
    Anyone think Syncline will be clear this Sunday up to the top? Or at least 1/2 way up snow free?
    The Lower half of Syncline is good to go, Maui, Moab and jeep trail are all good.... Not sure about Coyote or Hidden at the time of this post. Freeze/thaw conditions might start to exist if current weather pattern holds.. just keep that in mind and ride when dirt is firm..

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Rode it today

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    There are logs and brush across the trails. I took some time and cleared it out. I heard a chainsaw going so maybe someone is working on it. Good trail though!

FKA Malibu412
    I love the NW but Maui is stealing my heart and soul. Next trip I rent a mountain bike for a day and ride some trails...

I spend some time on the big island every few years and as much as I enjoy being there, my heart and soul are safe. Road riding is pretty much it, although, I imagine there are some jeep roads and trails in upper elevations and secret places that only locals know. What is known by the average B.I. visitor pales next to what we have here in the PNW, rain, slimy trails, mud in my eyes and all.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Expensive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    I spend some time on the big island every few years and as much as I enjoy being there, my heart and soul are safe. Road riding is pretty much it, although, I imagine there are some jeep roads and trails in upper elevations and secret places that only locals know. What is known by the average B.I. visitor pales next to what we have here in the PNW, rain, slimy trails, mud in my eyes and all.
    A lot of the riding on the islands is on private land. It is sketchy unless you ride with a local who may have a wink and smile okay. Maui has some legal trails but nothing like around here.

The long ride around West Maui is absolutely glorious!! Every turn is a post card but I agree the mountain biking is poor. I actually like the mountain biking in St. George, Santa Cruz, Sedona, and Moab better than most of the riding here; plus, you get much better weather most of the year. Nonetheless, the PNW is a gorgeous place to live and if you are not reactive to the gloomy weather a great place to live. Today, was a freaking awesome day to ride Glad I got out!

FKA Malibu412
    Today, was a freaking awesome day to ride Glad I got out!
    Yes, it was. I got out to Lacamas, found some new dh tread someone has scratched out on the Fallen Leaf Lake/Dead Lake side and found the tread everywhere to be quite nice. Didn't need to go anywhere else to get the groove.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Rode 3CR today, About 8 logs and brush across the trail causing me to stop and hike a bike over. Otherwise, a great ride. I plan on going back out tomorrow and taking a handsaw to clear out this awesome trail. Some snow by the creek but melting fast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone know how things are looking at Syncline today/tomorrow?? Thanks!

FKA Malibu412
    ^^^^ Probably a little wet but otherwise good. I'm in the Gorge a little west of there today with heavy cloud cover but very little rainfall at this point. Syncline should be one of the better rides right now.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode Syncline today and it was wet! You could probably do loops on Little Moab and be okay but the higher trails are snowy and muddy.

Sandy Ridge was a total mud and snow ride on 2/19/2012. My bike and I were covered head to toe in muck.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast