Thread: WRT Conditions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

WRT Conditions?

Hey, anyone ridden the Wilson River Trail lately? I'd like to know how the trail's holding up right now. Also, what's the best section to ride this time of year? Thanks for the help!

I got nothin'

Not sure...

I haven't been out there lately, but it should be rideable now that the snow levels are high. It wil be wet and you will likely run into a down tree or three. The tougher section is between Elk Creek CG and Diamond Mill. Depending on the day and for a slightly easier ride you go you can park at the Forestry Center and ride east to Diamond Mill, then come back and ride west beyond the Forestry Center as far as you like then return. WRT does well in the wet so no worries about impossible muddy conditions. Let us know what the conditions are if you ride it.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    I rode the trail from Elk Campground on Sunday. I am sure that its a bit wetter now, but on sunday there wasn't as much as a mud puddle on it, super good shape (just wish it was a bit wider). I was truly impressed with the conditions. Ran into one other group and maybe two hikers, a true shocker for a beautiful Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    With the exception of fallen trees and the occasional snow, the Wilson River Trails stays in pretty good condition all year long.

Also, the amount of work that went into building this trail on the side of steep hillsides always leaves me impressed.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Obviously Single

Bridge out ...

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    I haven't been out there lately, but it should be rideable now that the snow levels are high. It wil be wet and you will likely run into a down tree or three. The tougher section is between Elk Creek CG and Diamond Mill. Depending on the day and for a slightly easier ride you go you can park at the Forestry Center and ride east to Diamond Mill, then come back and ride west beyond the Forestry Center as far as you like then return. WRT does well in the wet so no worries about impossible muddy conditions. Let us know what the conditions are if you ride it.
    The last time I checked (3 weeks ago?) the bridge just east of the Propaganda (Visitor's) Center was out, so travel in that section will be problematic.

My face section of WRT depends on the conditions ... On days you prefer less climbing ride around the Visitor's Center (bridge problems not withstanding). When you want climbing, using the East end. When you want spectacular views (and more wetness) ride the Western-most section.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Obviously Single
    I would have been out there with you Sunday, but some idiot forgot my front tire! Doh!

I had a nice drive out there (and back), then had a nice ride in my neighborhood. Double Doh!
    The Lee-Man

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Propaganda (Visitor's) Center
    Leman, have you been hanging around Mr. Nailon?

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    Leman, have you been hanging around Mr. Nailon?
    Why yes I have, every chance I get (few though they are).

How are you Mr H20-ologist?
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks everybody! I can't wait to hit the trail. Probably gonna stick to the east end (heading west) until my lungs are half done, then head back.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    How are you Mr H20-ologist?
    Good, except my job keeps me working more and riding less.

Obviously Single

Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Egar
    Thanks everybody! I can't wait to hit the trail. Probably gonna stick to the east end (heading west) until my lungs are half done, then head back.
    Post up or PM me when you're going. It'd be nice to ride with somebody, for a change.
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Sat?

Quote Originally Posted by Egar
    I'm heading out there Saturday, I think, weather permitting (i.e. anything less than a downpour).

Interested in joining me? The route you suggested sounds fine to me. [I'm planning on bringing my saw -- very handy this time of year.]
    The Lee-Man