Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter is coming...... get those 44rd rides in NOW!

Normally I stay quiet when things are this good..... but the trails on the 44 Rd are as good as they get right now... The usual suspects of 8-mile, Knebal, 15 mile and Lookout Mtn trails are in their best shape of the season. The amount of hunters has decreased and the KICK A$S trail crew (ran into them again today) have done just as much work this fall as they did in the spring.

IF you ever see these guys out and about, buy em a beer, lunch or what ever, cause they do a REALLY great job and at times are under appreciated IMHO. Anyhow, they have burmmed up corners, trimmed, made water bars and created much needed flow in many areas. Rode 15 mile tonight and normally junky, woody, somewhat tight section (from the Lookout mtn jct to 15 mile campground) is hands down the best I have ever seen it.

These trails will be closed by mother nature soon, so get it while its oh So GOOD!
    Not to mention wildlife is abundant..... saw the biggest black bear that I have ever encountered tonite on the lookout mtn trail.....

Singletrack Addict

Thanks for the tip.

Maybe Monday after Barbie Camp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Trying to round up a group for 15 mile this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Ah, but my favorite time of year around FR44 is just coming up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Get out of here with your evil talk......

It is impossible to ride powder without those silly sticks on your feet...

Hate Costs Money

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wear your blaze orange. I would like to find a mesh orange helemt cover but all the ones I can find are meant for cold/rainy weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikekayakhike View Post
    Get out of here with your evil talk......

It is impossible to ride powder without those silly sticks on your feet...

Watch it...I have more videos and pics from skiing in this area.

Plus, you've been riding to much anyway.

mtbr member
    How true! A big thank to the trail crew and Mr. Thornton for all their hard work. We did a Bottle Prairie TH/Outlook Mt tr/15mile tr loop, up road230/4420 to High Prairie. Finish was a nice downhill run down Rd4420 and Trail450/Outlook Mt tr on Sunday. Oh, forgot we squeesed in Eightmile trail outnback too. Awesome day.
    BTW We found some bear scat on Road 230 on Sunday...turds were 15" in length and as thick as my arm!!
    Not to mention wildlife is abundant..... saw the biggest black bear that I have ever encountered tonite on the lookout mtn trail.....
    Last edited by OffRoadRoadie; 11-01-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Take Chances
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    OHM,

Is that a pic on Hood? If so, care to share where that pow stash is?

-T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tymelero View Post
    OHM,

Is that a pic on Hood? If so, care to share where that pow stash is?

-T
    Sure...The location of the above pic is very close to these. I wont share the location on a public forum, but I will say, the riding around these pictures is ALMOST as good as the skiing.

PM me some time, I'm always looking for new people to ski with in the BC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter is coming...... get those 44rd rides in NOW!-img_1343.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah, we saw his scat on road 230 last Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter is coming...... get those 44rd rides in NOW!-bottle-bear-poop.jpg  

Winter is coming...... get those 44rd rides in NOW!-bear-poop-pic-close-up.jpg  

Last edited by OffRoadRoadie; 11-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    Wear your blaze orange. I would like to find a mesh orange helemt cover but all the ones I can find are meant for cold/rainy weather.
    Try a mesh hardhat cover. Available at any industrial safety supply store, typically for less than $10.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Try a mesh hardhat cover. Available at any industrial safety supply store, typically for less than $10.
    Great idea ! I wear my S & M jersey a lot this time of year.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Will be there next weekend for the annual Halloween ride just before it starts to snow. Knebal is great this time of year. The fall colors are in full force out there right now. Amazing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For all who love how well Jim Thornton takes care of the trail system up on Road 44, he is hosting a work party up there next Saturday, October 29. Meet at 8:30 at Dirty Fingers Bike Shop in Hood River, or drive yourself to Little John Sno-Park (base of Road 44) at 9:30. Bring tools and a hard hat or bike helmet. Lunch will be provided.

Jim always appreciates a good turnout for these. It puts him in a good mood to get going as early as possible the next spring on opening these great trails.

Hope to see a good crowd up there, the larch should be on fire by then.

Tom
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For all who love how well Jim Thornton takes care of the trail system up on Road 44, he is hosting a work party up there next Saturday, October 29. Meet at 8:30 at Dirty Fingers Bike Shop in Hood River, or drive yourself to Little John Sno-Park (base of Road 44) at 9:30. Bring tools and a hard hat or bike helmet. Lunch will be provided.

Jim always appreciates a good turnout for these. It puts him in a good mood to get going as early as possible the next spring on opening these great trails.

Tom
    It's on my calendar.

I was surprised by the amount of fresh blowdown on Knebal yesterday. We had to climb over 5-6 trees and there was evidence of a number of others that had been recently cut. But it was a beautiful ride! Luckily we brought a lot of extra clothes -- it was almost balmy when we left HR, but it was 40 deg. at the trailhead!!

mtbr member

Tom
    I am really bummed about having to miss this workday, I have really been looking forward to a group effort up there. I will be out of the area for work and really hope to join the next trail workday up there (probably next spring since it seems we are already riding on borrowed time up there right now). I have saws, and two bob trailers for the Spring trail clearing day..... just let me know when.

Take Chances

Surveyor's Ridge

My wife and I rode Surveyors on Saturday. The trail was in great shape. The riding was fantastic. Nice to see the weather so awesome at the end of October.

Name:  DSC07654.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  90.9 KB Name:  DSC07657.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  DSC07659.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  107.6 KB Name:  DSC07663.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  DSC07670.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  90.3 KB Name:  DSC07675.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  DSC07677.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  102.7 KB Name:  DSC07680.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  DSC07686.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  61.8 KB Name:  DSC07688.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  58.9 KB

P.S. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to the trail workers who maintain these. I need to get my MTB saddle sittin' ass out and help out!

mtbr member
    Yep, Sat was an epic day for riding in the hills as far as weather and conditions go for sure. I could have yesterday's weather for me everyday for the rest of my life (for riding). Perfect riding temps on the east side of the mt. at least.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Wow, trails look nice. I've skied knee deep powder at Mt Hood Meadows several times over the years on Halloween weekend, but this weekend was just corn.

Saturday was a beautiful day to be in the mountains whether on snow or dirt, I chose snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter is coming...... get those 44rd rides in NOW!-img_8028.jpg  

Take Chances
    Top of the Palmer or was this at Meadows?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Top of Palmer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Couple of my friends were up there on saturday afternoon. Said the snow was great. Ski season sooooon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tymelero View Post
    Top of the Palmer or was this at Meadows?
    As Letsgo said, It is indeed the top of the Palmer. Pulled off two top to bottom laps on perfect corn.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sounds like some snow is going to cover the trails by the end of the week. Nonetheless, summer was slow to come but once it did it really was a great riding season.

I'm going to do some cross country skiing this year--maybe back country. I have ridden my arse off this year! Great year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast