Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obviously Single

... and if we just ... Wilson River Trail all to myself

I rode the Wilson River Trail Sunday, from the Elk Creek Trail Head. I headed west about two and a half hours, then headed back. I took a bunch of pictures, which you can see herel.

I was afraid I'd run into snow, but I decided that if I did, I'd just get some exercise slogging. It turned out that snow wasn't a problem until about 3 hours into the ride, and I was ready to turn around by then any way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Obviously Single

More Pics

I saw two hikers the first 2 hours, and then 3 hikers on the way back.

No other bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

How do you get there?

Pic looks nice
    give us some dierection

Always Breaking Stuff
    Wilson river has been one of my regulars this winter also, since it stays below about 1000'. We debated between that and syncline last weekend but picked Syncline . Looks like you had an awesome time out there.

WhiteTiger:
    Elk creek campground trailhead is located off Hwy 6 a few miles West of the Browns Camp/University Falls trail. There is tons of info out there how to get to University Falls.

-Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Wink Thanks

I have being before at Brown camp, so i should find it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So the trail wasn't a total mud bog? I have known people that have ridden in the Brown's Camp area this time of year that described mud up to their axles.

mtbr member

Trails in great shape

I rode the Wilson River Trail on the 11th when it was crappy weather and it was in great shape then too. The difference between Brown's Camp and the Wilson River trail is that Wilson River was specifically designed for winter riding, with great drainage, so it stays in pretty decent shape, where as Brown's Camp has natural springs all over the trail, crappy drainage and the like.
    Killing is my business...and business is good

Obviously Single

New question here. Do you know the whole trail

Quote Originally Posted by thorir
    Wilson river has been one of my regulars this winter also, since it stays below about 1000'. We debated between that and syncline last weekend but picked Syncline . Looks like you had an awesome time out there.
    -Jon
    Jon:

Yes, it turned out well. And I almost hit the bike path! Silly me.

Question: do you know the whole Wilson River Trail? I have only started at the Elk Creek campground. The farthest I've made it is about 10 miles or so. I made it past a bunch of dead fall to a place where I'd climbed to about 1800 ft., and snow blocked the trail (though only about 2" deep, but I'd run out of time, as well).

Do you know that section of trail meets back up with the road?

I'm thinking of driving to the other end of the trail and riding East, in my attempt to learn the whole trail.

I understand part of the trail is still under construction, i.e. the trail only exists on paper in some places. My map for the region is somewhat dated, so I could use all the info I can get.
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

New question here. Ride some time

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
    I have being before at Brown camp, so i should find it.
    It looks like it'll be wet again this weekend. Big surprise. Sunday might be a good day to ride this again ...
    The Lee-Man

Singletrack Addict

Got me instrested

Looks like we got quite a wait before the alpine stuff (my preferred elixir) opens up due to the snowpack. So I'm looking to expand the repertoire. I usually hit Three Corner Rock pretty often, but the report has it that the snow is low. I gotta check out this Brown's Camp-Gale's Creek-Wilson River triumverate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, Brown Camp at this year is muddy. once you are done ride it, you can not tell were are the bikes parts and were are your legs.

Always Breaking Stuff
    There were a few times this winter that, as I drove through Brown's camp there was a considerable amount of snow on the ground. But, by the time I got to Elk Creek the ground was dry (maybe frozen but dry). This trail was designed properly and does drain very well. I know there are some PUMP guys who regularly do maintenance out there too.

It sounds like you have ridden most of what is out there. Here is some additional info on the trail:
    http://www.volcanorunning.com/runs/Tillamook/index.htm
    We generally ride from Elk creek to King's mountain and back, about 8 miles. It isn't an epic or anything, but when everything else is under snow it is a good option. Also a good option for your beginner buddies since there really isn't anything technical on this trail. A couple steep hills in the beginning, but you can always hike those if necessary.

Just a word of warning, my buddy's truck got broken into at the Elk Creek Trailhead about 2 months ago... damn meth heads.

-Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I looked on the map and some link it provide , but it seams like a place for hiking. can we go there with bikes? also do you know if the orange is allrady usable to ride on?

Always Breaking Stuff
    Sorry for the confusion. That link is to a "trail runner" webpage since I don't know of a biker one with the same info . It does have the disclaimer "Note to Mountain Bikers: All of these loops are open to cyclist except for the King/Elk Mtn Loop." That statement is true, because bikers are not allowed on the king's mountain or elk mountain trails. But, the Wilson river trail which is the yellow "connector" on that map is absolutely rideable, and fun to boot.

Hope it works out for ya!

-Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    thanks for the clear. but is Elk to King is rideable?

Always Breaking Stuff
    YES

As an out&back you can ride from the Elk Creek trailhead, to the King's Mountain Trailhead via the Wilson River trail (the yellow/orange trail shown in the earlier link).

Enjoy.

Obviously Single

This Sunday?

YES

As an out&back you can ride from the Elk Creek trailhead, to the King's Mountain Trailhead via the Wilson River trail (the yellow/orange trail shown in the earlier link).

Enjoy.
    I am planning on hitting this great trail once again, partly 'cause it's supposed to continue to be wet around here ...

I'm thinking of starting between 10AM and noon, if anybody is interested in joining in ...
    The Lee-Man

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Is it as fun as Browns camp? During the summer we did Browns/Rogers Camp or Gayles creek across the way every week.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Obviously Single

Perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Law
    Is it as fun as Browns camp? During the summer we did Browns/Rogers Camp or Gayles creek across the way every week.
    I do not know, since I have not yet ridden Brown's Camp. I suspect not, as this trail is not very technical, excepting the exposure in several places, and a trickle crossing or two. But at least this is not muddy and not (yet) crowded.

I must admit I did a bunch of hike-a-bike when I got to the steep section, and my bum knee is paying for it this week, but what the heck, it was still worth it!
    The Lee-Man

Always Breaking Stuff
    It is no where near as technical, nor does it have the elevation change as Brown's camp. It is more similar to Gayles creek but has a somewhat better view as you are along the Wilson river for most of the time. I'd just use it as a fall-back if Brown's camp is too muddy/snowy/full when you get there.

-Jon

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    It is no where near as technical, nor does it have the elevation change as Brown's camp. It is more similar to Gayles creek but has a somewhat better view as you are along the Wilson river for most of the time. I'd just use it as a fall-back if Brown's camp is too muddy/snowy/full when you get there.

-Jon

Thanks, yeah, for some reason the first climb out of the Rogers Camp parking lot makes a buddy puke 2 out of 3 times. Then he is fine from there. No where else we have ridden have I seen him do it. He blames the Carls Jr. breakfast burrito everytime.

I quite like the Rogers camp area, but maybe we will try something new anyway. I find that the Gayles creek portion that runs closest to hwy 6 to be fun, but the rest of the stuff on that side is somewhat boring. Pretty, though

Always Breaking Stuff
    There is a first climb out of Elk Creek CG that gives the first climb out of Browns Camp a run for it. The Elk Creek climb isn't nearly as long, but the last 50' or so are quite steep.

Anyways, still a good option for just changing things up now and then.

How far have you ridden the Gayles Creek portion? Just like 2miles down from Brown's Camp to the Galyes Creek trail head? I heard that trail keeps going for like 10 miles...

-Jon

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    I have ridden up Gayle's creek up about 5 miles from the campground/trailhead, not counting that part of the trail that goes from across the street (Hwy 6) from Brown's Camp/Rogers Camp area and then goes 2 miles down to the campground. I have ridden that part too, and it is the best part.

The trail that leads from Gayles Creek campground and away from hwy 6 is very up and down. No climbs too long, but no long descents either. Not my favorite. But if you take the dirt road that is up above Gayles Creek, sorry I cant remember the name of it, but if you ride that for a couple of miles you can take a trail that is fairly fun down to the gayles creek trail. It is very smooth, like Wilson River.

On another note, we rode wilson river on Saturday, is was ok, and has some good rhythm sections. I worry about taking out someone else riding from the opposite direction, or hikers. I liked the trail though. We rode in the Browns/Rogers camp area yesterday. It was great. Still pretty wet in spots but not so much that it caked the bikes in mud. There is still a couple of streams running through the trail, but it was very rideable.

Living to ride
    Wow that looks awesome, bet you had a great time!
    Bob

- '06 Cannondale F400
    - '89 Cannondale SM1000
    - '90 Diamond Back Ascent

Always Breaking Stuff
    Thanks for the update.

I had seen that the Gales Creek trail was rideable on my Tillamook forest map, and had wondering what it was like. I have only done the section between Gales Creek and Browns Camp so I figured if the rest of the trail was like that it might be worthwhile to explore. Sounds like that section of trail isn't all that exciting though. Still might check it out if I get burnt out on the regular stuff this summer but not going to make it a priority.

Thanks again.

-Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast