mtbr member

Willamette Pass and Odell Lake... riding and camping questions

A friend of mine wants to check out Willamette Pass (the ski hill for lift riding) in July.
    We looked online and saw that Odell Lake was right next door.

I'm interested in information about the hill and trails, as well as tent camping around the lake.

Matt and his son have been out to North Star, I haven't done lift-assisted riding yet.

Experiences and opinions are welcome!

Thanks

mtbr member
    WP is really fun but not without it's shortcomings.

There are essentially 5 trails with options to connect them differently and tweak your runs. Difficulty ranges from beginner and flatish, to steep fall line with a couple of decent size rock drops. You won't find any Aline style packed in, groomed up runs here. The dirt there just won't allow that.

Later in the season, the dirt turns into deep, dry moon dust. Depending on when you go in July it could be good or it could be brown powder - literally. At the worst times, you basically need to leave so much space between you buddy in front you may as well be there alone.

Don't get me wrong though, I get a pass every year and have a blast every time I ride there (about 8-10 weekends between opening mid june and closing mid Sept).

Not sure about this upcoming season, but they'll generally do a race or two.

State campgrounds around Odell are clean, cheap and close. Also, not without shortcomings though. I always stay at Princess Creek because you can coast from the mtn down the road to the campground. The CG is stuck between the highway and the lake, so on one side you have a beautiful view of the lake and the mountains and on the other a major truck route. It can get loud with big rigs and engine braking. Odell LAke is also motorized and the fishermen/women get up early. There's no water but vault toilets.

Pay showers can be had at Shelter cove CG.

Also, after you ride, go to Manly's in Crescent get the broasted chicken and beers.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

mtbr member
    One other thing. On a really busy day (non race) you may see 10 other riders.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

mtbr member
    Ryebread... thanks for all the info! That's really gonna help.

We don't do a lot of dusty rides around here in Humboldt County, but I have back in Texas and other places so I'll just make sure I'm first out! lol

Probably have to change tires, and I'm hoping to bring a bike I've been building up for something like this.
    We're gonna try and get plenty of riding in this year, hopefully some more up in Oregon around Bend, as well as my 6-day ride around Mt. Hood in August with a bunch of friends.

I'm looking into campgrounds so I'll check out Princess Creek. Long as I can get some sleep, I don't care about the daytime noise. I also wake up early no matter what anyway.