mhk
    beer horse

Will be in Sunriver Sept 6-13

for an wedding with the in laws. I wish I could get away for a few hours every day, but I'm going to have to pick my battles.

I assume riding down to Bend on the Deschutes Trail is best on weekdays or super early. I have not ridden Phil's, so that's definitely on the agenda. How many 2 hour rides should I put aside for Phil's, and will it lead me other places, esp. a different way back to Sunriver if needed?

Also, are there good trail systems up around the Sunriver area, within riding distance (or maybe a short drive)?

I'll do some more searching here, but if you have any top-of-mind suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a 32x18 on the single speed I have out there now (these'll be its inaugural rides--can't wait!), but I generally run a 32x19 in hilly/techy WV. I was going to bring a 19, and maybe even a 20. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

mtbr member
    http://www.ormtb.com/Central_Oregon/CO_Trails/index.htm

Check out Sparks Lake to Lava Lake, or for a longer ride add the Edison Lava trail. Might take you more than two hours. Newberry is close to Sunriver as well. 32 x 18 will be fine.

-B
    I'm insane

mhk
    beer horse
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

For clarification, I had said two hours on Phils because I was not including time to/fro on Deschutes Trail from Sunriver, so I think I can get a couple longer ones in if I'm not riding as far to the trailhead.

Your suggestion looks good, too: I'm assuming if time is precious it's best to drive to the trailhead to do the Sparks/Lava Lakes to Edison Lava--any estimation on total riding time?

Would you rank your suggested loop above more time in Phils. . .or maybe I would be so bold as to simply ask what your (or anyone else's) top three or four Central Oregon rides are, with a bias toward access from Sunriver?

Again, thanks
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I will be staying in the Sunriver area 5, 6, 7.....have the family but plan on doing a couple of rides solo or with friends on Phils. Let me know and I can give you a lift to Phils and back.

Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You can also grab the Blackrock Trail from Sunriver by riding about 2.5 miles down the DRT from Sunriver, then hanging a right before descending a short, rocky downhill.

It's a great little (4 miles each way) extension of pretty good trail following the edge of a huge lava field.

As far as 2 hour rides on the Phil's system, just grab a map and invent as you go along. There are so many options that you could probably time your ride to within minutes of a Wifely Deadline.

IMO, single speeds were invented for places like Bend. You'll have a blast.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

banned
    May 2009
    the best bike ride in Sunriver is riding to Marcellos and getting wasted. Other then that, it's really flat an better off taking a trip to the river to smoke a bowl.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The only trail I know of in Sunriver proper is the short stretch of Deschutes River Trail to Benham Falls, but then you have the rest of the DRT. If you're willing to drive and need to amuse family, then going to Sisters to ride the new trails on Peterson Ridge could be good. The views are good and the new trails to the West have some challenging sections, plus the trailhead is only a few blocks from the firehouse, or on short connector from the brewpub so your non-riding companions can hang out in town.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yup, don't miss Benham Falls. One of the coolest slide falls around. Once you almost get there from Sunriver, you can also head east onto Blackrock Trail as an option -- or addition -- to DRT. It heads up to the Lava Visitor Center, generally following the edge of a massive lava flow. Very cool, and more "single tracky" than DRT. Also nearly devoid of hikers. Which DRT is full of, but everybody seems to get along.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I will be in Sunriver tonight through Monday. None of my friends ride, so I plan to do some solo rides. Sounds like you're on a tight schedule but if it works out, I'm tentatively planning on doing a long ride Sunday, and maybe something shorter Saturday afternoon and Monday. Probably ride the DRT one day, and another try to do a big loop around Phil's and up towards Tumalo and Flagline area. Shoot me a message if you're interested and maybe we can get something together.