GEAUX TIGERS!!!

wildfires and ridin this week

I forgot all about the Dollar Wildfire happening on the north flank of Mt Hood this past Monday, with the intention of riding Surveyors/Dog River. I did not even attempt riding this or Knebal, 15 mile or even Gunsight/Gumjuac for that matter, because of the heavy smoke around, thinking I would have trouble breathing and eye irritation.

Im no wildfire expert by any means, so what do you all think as far as the trails that will not be ridable because of the fires this next week or two? Im thinking anything on the east side of Mt. Hood (the trails I mentioned above). Is Syncline and Falls Creek being affected as well?
    Also, I see a thread on McKenzie River area already on here, but do you all think it is safe to ride it this Friday, being close to the fire near Sisters. Im planning on riding MRT Friday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Rode Knebal/High Prarie trails this past weekend. Couldn't smell the smoke at all, but it all depends on which way the wind is blowing. Check the wind/weather forecast. Trails were super sandy, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Three Corner Rock is perfect right now.What happened to WALDO Hagen?Too much tiger celebration?Falls Creek is great as well...Lewis River too.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Yeah, Waldo didnt happen this past week because I did not have 2 full days to spare. MRT this Friday definitely, then who knows. I definitely want to do Waldo some time really soon.

Because of the wildfire scenario, I rearranged my riding this past Monday and rode up to Timberline for the first time (not bad of a climb at all along Westfir TR), then bombed the Glade Trail and then rode the Crosstown Trail out and back. Glade could be so much better and actually a destination and probably will when Timberline Bike Park comes.
    Last edited by RighteousTrail; 09-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I did 8 mile/Knebal last weekend. Driving up there, the smoke was pretty bad, but shortly after turning off 35 on to 44, it all disappeared. Air was crystal clear with no smell of smoke the whole ride.

Of course, it may depend on how the wind is blowing. So, check your weather before heading out.

Hood River, on the other hand, has been a mess of smoke. I have a sore throat from a week of breathing that stuff and my house smells like a camp fire!!!
    Last edited by Dropped68; 09-07-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell

mtbr member
    Rode 15 mile, knebal, lookout mtn trails in the last week. One week ago with strong NW winds the smoke was so bad that I went hiking just south of 15 mile along Fret creek in the Badger cr wilderness (highly recommend). Went back the day and the the smoke was gone (wind shifted to an East wind).... So really it's dependent on the wind direction or lack there of IMO.

Rode 8mile and lookout mtn last night and was smoke free.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    I forgot all about the Dollar Wildfire happening on the north flank of Mt Hood this past Monday, with the intention of riding Surveyors/Dog River. I did not even attempt riding this or Knebal, 15 mile or even Gunsight/Gumjuac for that matter, because of the heavy smoke around, thinking I would have trouble breathing and eye irritation.

Im no wildfire expert by any means, so what do you all think as far as the trails that will not be ridable because of the fires this next week or two? Im thinking anything on the east side of Mt. Hood (the trails I mentioned above). Is Syncline and Falls Creek being affected as well?
    Also, I see a thread on McKenzie River area already on here, but do you all think it is safe to ride it this Friday, being close to the fire near Sisters. Im planning on riding MRT Friday.
    Yes. Fire season bad. Stay indoors and watch football on TV instead.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    Sorry. Feeling ornery,

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I"m going to watch some football this weekend and go for a ride. Amazing trick but some of us actually pull it off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry. Feeling ornery,
    Nice to hear from youbtw...did you know about Washington's "Discover Pass"?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I would feel big time guilty if I did that, being perfect weather here and all. That's the difference in Louisiana and here: there, all you have to do is watch football or go to football games (or maybe hunting or swimming in the river). Here, you have world class mtn biking trails within an hour of Portland. This is the reason why people down south take football more serious, because there is nothing better to do.

B42
    mtbr member
    The smoke around Mt. Hood is really dependent on the wind. If you are riding anywhere near that fire be sure to check the wind direction before you head out. When we get smoke here (near Sandy Ridge) it's not fun to be outside. Fortunately, were not getting the smoke now, and have not been getting much all week. Last weekend that was not the case.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##