Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spottydog View Post
    Phils network is the popular one - especially with beginners and the racing types, and is ridable almost year round.
    On a typical year and if you are being polite and staying off the trails when they are muddy then Phil's is not ridable for months. Not a big deal as there are many other good winter riding options.

Steve Dallas wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Nat +1 on the bass-ackwards on Phils downhill and Ben's uphill.

COTA, nice try, but I think you made a mistake. Are you open to changing it after this season?

Completely agree with it being backwards. I just thought I was the only one who felt that way....I have ridden in Bend for almost 10 years and never once considered riding UP Ben's. I did it after the one-way and couldn't understand the logic behind it. Glad to see I'm not the only dissenter

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mophile View Post
    I have ridden in Bend for almost 10 years and never once considered riding UP Ben's.
    Seriously? Even though I enjoy Ben's headed downhill I still rode it outbound at least 1/3rd of the time just so I could descend Phil's canyon. That part of Phil's, while short, is better than anything on Ben's.

Steve Dallas wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    That part of Phil's, while short, is better than anything on Ben's.
    I recognize that everyone has different views. Certainly many people feel as you do. My post was simply that I was pleased to find I wasn't the only one who felt as I do

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I agree with you and like the climb up Ben's all the way to Skyliner ... Given how much traffic there used to be on the lower part of Phil's going both ways, I think they made a good decision.
    Are you really sure about that?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by mophile View Post
    Completely agree with it being backwards. I just thought I was the only one who felt that way.
    You're far from the only one who feels that way. I'm curious if anyone has asked Ben what he thinks about it? He's still around.

Tangent: The Dirty Half is this Sunday and the course will take the runners DOWN Ben's. Everyone just be aware so you don't have to ride into a sea of people.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steinmeister View Post
    First post!

Visited Oregon recently and my wife and I loved the vibe in Bend and she is sold on making Bend our next move. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to do any riding out there and from what I have read Bend is a huge MTB destination with a lot of buff singletrack but little in the way of rocks, steeps and drops (
    my style of riding). Is this true?

I am not trying to start any controversy - I want to know, as a non-hardcore XCer mountain biker, have you moved to Bend and found the MTB disappointing because of lack of variation?

There is no happiness in the home until the wife is satisfied.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Being a transplant from VT myself, here might be some help.
    Burlington = portland,
    Hoodriver = waterburry
    bend = stowe

Trails in bend are very much like the trails in the kingdom on darling hill. Batchlor will end up being like burke, + there is funner twinks.

Now back to your bashing on phils complex.

mtbr member
    Agreed; the soil on Ben's is more conducive to DH. COTA mentioned that the one-way project was executed on a trial basis and changes could be made if warranted. IMO (though I enjoy hitting the gas down the Canyon), I think Phil's Canyon would be better to climb and Ben's as the DH....there's ton of potential on Ben's for high speed charging!

Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Now that I have had a few times to run the one-way changes to Phil's/Ben's, I have to agree. I originally thought what was done makes sense, but the big thing I think was not considered, is the better soil on Ben's. It is MUCH harder, and would hold up better for descending. Phil's canyon is so sandy nothing holds up.
    jjMarS

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Very good place to live! Getting crowded and a bit of a cluster at times. However, riding is good. It is not as good as Oakridge but a much nicer town. It is very dusty in the summer so if you have a road bike get it out once the trails turn to a giant cat box down low. The upper trails are really where the good riding can be found but they are only open for about four months. It you like skiing, kayaking, and other sports it is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    Being a transplant from VT myself, here might be some help.
    Burlington = portland,
    Hoodriver = waterburry
    bend = stowe

Trails in bend are very much like the trails in the kingdom on darling hill. Batchlor will end up being like burke, + there is funner twinks.

Now back to your bashing on phils complex.
    I know it is heresy, but I don't like the Kingdom Trails outside of "Tap & Die". The rest are rather boring. Pretty and scenic but honestly not very challenging.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I know it is heresy, but I don't like the Kingdom Trails outside of "Tap & Die". The rest are rather boring. Pretty and scenic but honestly not very challenging.
    Alright, "boring" is a bit strong but you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Alright, "boring" is a bit strong but you know what I mean.
    t+d was the kittens pj's. KT was great because you could ride with everyone of all levels and have a great time. I loved upper jbar-jbar. I could ride that all day.

But you have to admit with trails around the area like perry hill, and carse hill, KT is very much like how i would classify bend trails. Pretty easy, mellow and lots of them.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    If you're looking for technically challenging trails like you have in the NE, you won't find them in Bend. You'll miss the rocks and it'll be a reason to head back to the east coast but you'll have to find a reason to love the trails in OR (and there are many). Just be glad your wife doesn't want to move to Portland. Other advantages...no mud season, no black fly season, it's not humid as f**k in the summer and yes, the dry heat actually makes a positive difference.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    it's not humid as f**k in the summer and yes, the dry heat actually makes a positive difference.
    That's hilarious to someone from the East Coast (NYC) where you feel like Swamp Thing half the summer.

Portland *NEVER* feels humid to me, even at it's worst. It's all relative!
    - -benja- -

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    That's hilarious to someone from the East Coast (NYC) where you feel like Swamp Thing half the summer.

Portland *NEVER* feels humid to me, even at it's worst. It's all relative!
    I could have structured it better, but that's what I meant. OR is dry in the summer. Even when it's 100F you can walk into the shade and it matters, unlike the mid-atlantic when it feels like you're wearing a hot, wet blanket in the shade.

I lived in Charleston, SC and near D.C. for most of my life. Portland is moderately humid for about two weeks in the summer but that's it. East coast is gnarly.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    I could have structured it better, but that's what I meant. OR is dry in the summer. Even when it's 100F you can walk into the shade and it matters, unlike the mid-atlantic when it feels like you're wearing a hot, wet blanket in the shade.

I lived in Charleston, SC and near D.C. for most of my life. Portland is moderately humid for about two weeks in the summer but that's it. East coast is gnarly.
    I agree. I lived in the oppressive humidity of DC for 7 years and Portland is comparably comfortable but will feel a bit sticky once in a while. Not very often and never as bad as the east coast. Bend is ridiculously dry. So dry it often tears up my lungs and gives me a bloody nose since I'm not used to it...but I'm overly sensitive from asthma and allergies.
    Last edited by economatic; 06-12-2014 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Born and raised outside of Boston, and have lived all over the world. Oregon has the best summer weather of any place on this planet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    shhh... Portland is already a mess. Let's keep summer to ourselves.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2