mtbr member
    May 2010

Why? No Whoops for the Bend Enduro!

I swear that the Bend Enduro was including Whoops Trail as one of the stages for the race!
    Now, I see the 3 stages are Lower Funner, Tiddlywinks, and the Full Super D course from 2011. Some of my friends raced the SuperD last year...they said it "sucked" due to all the pedaling. More XC than SuperD is what they said! I thought the attraction of "ENDURO" was that it eliminated soooooo much of the "timed" pedaling that the SuperD was suffering from.
    Looks like the race organizers have lost the point of Enduro racing. Maybe Whoops trail was just too Freeride-ish for them.

Afric Pepperbird

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    snicker...
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    *snort!*

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry but your friends need to put down the monster energy and work on the cardio. Enduro super-d is supposed to be hard--it's an all out redline hard as you can go sprint down a trail. It's not a relaxing sit on your seat smell the pine trees and tell your buddies how fast you went. Even full on dh at the world cup level requires a ridiculous amount of fitness and pedaling.

The super-d course in bend has the least amount of climbing of any of the super-d courses in the series. Oakridge, the best course in my opinion, is one of the most physically demanding courses out there (harder than an xc race). I was sad to see it won't happen this year. Enduro is just supposed to remove some of the slow climbs, not pedaling.
    Last edited by thorkild; 04-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC3 View Post
    I swear that the Bend Enduro was including Whoops Trail as one of the stages for the race!
    Now, I see the 3 stages are Lower Funner, Tiddlywinks, and the Full Super D course from 2011. Some of my friends raced the SuperD last year...they said it "sucked" due to all the pedaling. More XC than SuperD is what they said! I thought the attraction of "ENDURO" was that it eliminated soooooo much of the "timed" pedaling that the SuperD was suffering from.
    Looks like the race organizers have lost the point of Enduro racing. Maybe Whoops trail was just too Freeride-ish for them.
    I think it would of been cool to have Whoops as well (still one of the funnest, if not the funnest trail to ride/descend on in Bend, IMO). As it is a fast, pedally descent that one could "redline" if going after it a bit. I know I usually do after pedalling it hard top to bottom, especially after the 3rd or 4th lap through when I ride it only a couple of times/year.

Out of the Bend Enduro schedule, Day 1 looks the best to me, but be cool to have Whoops instead of the Pump track. I agree that 1/2 of the Bend Super D course is bit of a snooze (did it the first year), especially the top half and could do without it as well. Too XC race for me, that can fatigue and bonk you a bit too much before the fun part of Funner which is a blast to pedal and race on .
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One of the COTA guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the competitive events have been moved to the Wanoga area trails. They are fun trails, but I'm all funner and tiddlywinked out after racing the same trails at Picketts Charge, Marathon Nationals, and Super D. Not to mention the same trails are also used for the High Cascades 100, Day of the Dead Super D, XC Nationals Qualifier, and Dash for Cash. I mean c'mon, there's hundreds of miles of trails out there, surely arrangements can be made to open one or two of them for a few hours one day of the year. I miss the days when Picketts went over COD.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I don't mind that all of the racing events are corralled in one area.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    ... so you see, it's not as simple as it seems. Hey, what the heck, propose your own event!
    Bingo
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    One of the COTA guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the competitive events have been moved to the Wanoga area trails. They are fun trails, but I'm all funner and tiddlywinked out after racing the same trails at Picketts Charge, Marathon Nationals, and Super D. Not to mention the same trails are also used for the High Cascades 100, Day of the Dead Super D, XC Nationals Qualifier, and Dash for Cash. I mean c'mon, there's hundreds of miles of trails out there, surely arrangements can be made to open one or two of them for a few hours one day of the year. I miss the days when Picketts went over COD.
    This. Most but not all. Actually it's also a parking issue. The intent for Wanoga was to provide a "go to" place for competitive events so the permitting is more streamlined. Put yourself in the shoes of the Permit guy for the FS - he gets literally over a hundred event permit proposals every year. That and some trails just ain't suited for competition (passing on Mrazek, anyone?) so you see, it's not as simple as it seems. Hey, what the heck, propose your own event!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    this. Most but not all. Actually it's also a parking issue. The intent for wanoga was to provide a "go to" place for competitive events so the permitting is more streamlined. Put yourself in the shoes of the permit guy for the fs - he gets literally over a hundred event permit proposals every year. That and some trails just ain't suited for competition (passing on mrazek, anyone?) so you see, it's not as simple as it seems. Hey, what the heck, propose your own event!
    +1!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    I understand a lot of what is said here, but as the original post states, I don't see why some of the fun lower trails(Whoops) can't be worked out.

On that note, I don't think the Enduro will include the flat "top section" of Funner, from Wanoga. I thought the "race" was going to start where it gets more steep.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    On that note, I don't think the Enduro will include the flat "top section" of Funner, from Wanoga. I thought the "race" was going to start where it gets more steep.
    On the schedule it looks like the second day (stage#3) will include the whole Bend Super D course (Wanoga to Lower Storm King). So yes, "flat" section included on upper Funner for that. I believe stage#1 on day 1 is going to be second half of Funner (the fun part) if they don't include the Steve Larson pump track due to snow instead. Would of been bomber to have Whoops, lower Funner and Tidlywinks on Day 1 and maybe the Super D course for those inclined on Day 2.
    Oregon Enduro Series » Race 1: Bend
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Everyone,

Due to Forrest Service restrictions, we CANNOT have a legal race on Whoops. We are working with the USFS to change this in the future, and possibly bring in some of the more technical trails in Bend. For now, we are offering our racers the best we can give them, considering snow levels and permits. Bend will get better and better with each year, just like car models. We will always be improving the experience!

Enduro racing is focused on racing everyday trails on your everyday bike. We are trying to keep a 80/20 decent to climb ratio. The stages in Bend fit this ratio without a problem. Yes the track is a bit 'pedally', but Bend's trails only get tougher as you pedal them faster. Riding fast in Bend takes a different style, in which challenges riders of all levels.

We have put together a very fun two days of racing for everyone this year. On day one, the climbs and longer flat sections will be un-timed stages, and the stages will reward the best overall racer. On day two, you will see the race you are familiar with, and the dirt will be prime!

We are excited to kick off the series in Bend, and with a little help from the weather to melt the snow, the trails will be as good as it comes in Bend. This race will be the perfect introduction to Enduro Stage racing. We will then move on to Ashland!

We hope to see everyone at the races. Time to go ride your bike!

The Oregon Endruo Series

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was thinking that racers could park at Phils. Do a pedal from Phils to the Top of Whoops that is not timed. Race down Whoops. This would eliminate any parking issues.

But, as Smokie496 says above, the Forrest Service has some "restrictions" about letting a race occur on Whoops.

Thorkild, my buddies that raced the SuperD last year are really fit and have great cardio...they just weren't stoked on the top section that was more flat and feature-less. Enduro=FUN!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I was thinking that racers could park at Phils. Do a pedal from Phils to the Top of Whoops that is not timed. Race down Whoops. This would eliminate any parking issues.
    Other than contending for a parking spot with the other 100 recreational non-racing mountain bikers, 75 trail runners, and 50 dog walkers you mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Other than contending for a parking spot with the other 100 recreational non-racing mountain bikers, 75 trail runners, and 50 dog walkers you mean?
    True dat' and why I always try to avoid Phil's lot if at all possible when visiting the area. Just too many people to kill the ride for me
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    TNC3: We wish it was only an issue of Parking. Whoops has always been a dream for us. It will happen one day. And when it does, everyone will be welcome!

Saturday will eliminate the top section, which in all reality is quite short. Maybe we could add some man made obstacles in there? Or have everyone do two laps of the pump track first? Or would a mass start add excitement to the top?

jgusta: Word!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My buddies that raced the SuperD last year are really fit and have great cardio...they just weren't stoked on the top section that was more flat and feature-less. Enduro=FUN!
    I hear you. I was just speaking more to what I hear is a collective complaint that there is too much pedal long and too many climbs in these races. I really don't see it that way, but I'm apparently in the minority. Riding funner after hammering the top is a very different experience than just riding the core of the descent. I like that and love that both aspects are included this year.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Smokie496,
    I'll definitely be there when Whoops gets the go-ahead!

Pumtrack sounds really cool & different!

mtbr member
    Speaking of Whoops, hit it last night, and it is OPEN and GOOD! Two small dry ice sections at the very top, with zero mud.
    Bend, Oregon

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Speaking of Whoops, hit it last night, and it is OPEN and GOOD! Two small dry ice sections at the very top, with zero mud.
    Dry ice??? Don't touch it!

mtbr member
    Haha sorry... Dry around the ice.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Are the Enduro races younger rider friendly? The reason I ask is that my 16 year old son wants to race a couple of the events this year so I am curious how all of the shuttling and stuff works. I would obviously be at the event, but not racing myself and trying to figure out how I would keep track of him from starts.. to finishes of stages... to shuttling... etc?

Not a lot of info on the website for the specific events as far as daily schedules etc..