Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    shut up legs

Who rides Larch/Tarbell Area?

just shouting out to those who go up there for CC/AM
    ---->Fat Bike Fenders & More
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa El Mariachi | Salsa Spearfish
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    The Cold Creek Mountain Bikers have a fairly active Facebook page you may want to look into.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

FKA Malibu412
    Hi
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2006
    One of my favorite loops in the area.

shut up legs
    it's closer to my house than running for Stella or Growler and just as much fun...except more snow than Stella...looking @ this Sunday riding for a few hours
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I need to ride that area this year...
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Even though the trailhead is only 20-25 minutes from the house, I only ride it 2-3 times a year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any guesses on how the trail conditions will be tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ever since "they" shaved it I have been there once. I miss that descent into Hiden Falls. If you want to go fast and never hit the brakes I highly advise a trip down "Ross" after the "Flinstones " section. I cannot imagine going back myself considering the ridiculous Discover Pass and the great new "views".
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix View Post
    Any guesses on how the trail conditions will be tomorrow?
    Lots of stuff down on the trails--small limbs to full-on trees and snow at higher elev

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    . I cannot imagine going back myself considering the ridiculous Discover Pass and the great new "views".
    That's too bad. Between the Tarbell trail head on 1200 Rd and the Cold Creek trail head on 1000 Rd taking in Hidden Falls, some of the decent re-routes, and new veiws make it one of the best rides in SW WA.

*EDIT* Actually, that would be from the Tarbell Picnic area on the 1100 Rd, not the 1200 Rd, over to the Cold Creek trail head on the 1000 Rd, crossing the 1200 at Grouse Vista (can't keep my 1100s-1000s-1200s straight out there).

I do avoid the Cold Creek to Tarbell Picnic through Rock Creek Camp part of the loop as it is a favored section of the equestrian types and since it holds a lot of water, it's pretty chewed up most of the year.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 01-29-2012 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    When I lived in the Camas area 15 or so years ago I rode the section from Larch Mt to the Camp Ground weekly throughout the summer. I think they refer to this as the Cold Creek Trail now, it was a riper then and I'd like to check it out now as I have only ridden out there a few times in the last 5-6 years. It seems like there is a core group of bike people adding to the fun factor out there.

The Bells Mountain Trail is a pretty fast buff trail. It does have a hell of a climb if starting at Moulton Falls TH.

Ultimately, Like Poppa said, the Discover Pass will most likely keep me away too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    That's too bad. Between the Tarbell trail head on 1200 Rd and the Cold Creek trail head on 1000 Rd taking in Hidden Falls, some of the decent re-routes, and new veiws make it one of the best rides in SW WA.
    I am open to someone changing my view on this, but I am not paying dnr to park. I do miss it. The last ride with the FTF boys was depressing though. The best view is from Silver Star...btw.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Some of the decent re-routes, and new veiws make it one of the best rides in SW WA.
    Word on that! A lot of thanks to the CCMTB'ers who brought this trail back from the near dead and made it rock This trail keeps on getting a little better and better over time with the added revisions and features. Lots of work put into that, so thanks to all who have contributed (JR and gang).

The DNR Discover PAss kind of stinks, but DNR are generally pretty supportive of having mtb trails in the state area unlike most of Mult. Co. Just WA trying to make a buck off of logging and recreation at the same time in it's poor state due to no income taxes.

The only bad is the trail needs to dry out for a bit (like a week or two) after a lot of rain due to lower, flatter sections gets a little sloppy, IMO. I imagine a lot of the trail to still have snow now. As of late Thursday, there was still plenty of old, slushy snow in the Gorge at only about 500ft (4-6").
    Ride On!

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Ever since "they" shaved it I have been there once. I miss that descent into Hiden Falls. If you want to go fast and never hit the brakes I highly advise a trip down "Ross" after the "Flinstones " section. I cannot imagine going back myself considering the ridiculous Discover Pass and the great new "views".
    Yep nothin' worth a damn out there, it's best to go somewhere else.

shut up legs
    no snow on Tarbell today and bridges are all in working condition
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK View Post
    no snow on Tarbell today and bridges are all in working condition
    What elevation were you riding at?

shut up legs
    here is the GPS data
    Activity Profile | Strava
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK View Post
    here is the GPS data
    Activity Profile | Strava
    Hmmm, I'm confused. That profile shows a map of Yacolt and lists the elevation at 880'. Tarbell is higher than that at any of the trail heads.

NM. I opened a Strava account and saw the ride profile. Interesting that, on the north side of Larch where the snow takes longer to melt, the trail was clear.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 01-29-2012 at 07:16 PM.

shut up legs
    1314 was the start...2150 was the top....the app on the phone isn't correct..new app from what I usually use
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    I'll hit CC whenever I can for a quick ride - been up there a few times and found snow though these days I'm usually in the after work night rides

For me it's a fun trail though this summer I'm shooting to do the full loop and then some - least that's the plan

Ed

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love that trail area, some of the more technical riding in the larger metropolitan area. I ditto what Old House Man said on the Bells Mountain trail. The first 1.5-2 miles are a grinding climb, but after that it is a great trail that is hardly ridden. On the bright side they did a lot of work on it last year where motos poach it, unfortunately they are logging sections of it (about 4 miles from Moulton) but already some of the trail has been resotored through the first half of the logging. May take a bit for it to set in, but it is a working forest I guess. What I love though, is if you ride from Moulton, do the entire Tarbell loop and back, it is over 40 miles of awesome singletrack, including the CC descent which I way prefer to Sandy Ridge.

Has anyone ridden the Bluff Mountain trail from SIlver star? I got out there once and it was pretty amazing.

It does suck to pay to park, but what is the alternative, no one will allow higher taxes to pay for things like parks and trails, they'd have to log a lot more to make up for the budget difference, which we don't want either, and at least DNR does some good maintenance and is open to more trials. I saw a proposed map as part of the Yacolt master plan and there is a lot more MTB trails planned for that area, so if you do buy a discovery pass, at least you can feel like the money stands a chance to go back to maintaining and maybe increasing trails.

Cannonball!
    Put in enough volunteer hours and DNR will send you a voucher for a Discover Pass, problem solved!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The pass is like $35. Really worth losing rides for? Sure, it is a tax but it is what it is....

The rides up there are awesome but I only go up there in the warmer season due to the mud and snow!

shut up legs
    no snow currently...plenty of mud through the gully on Tarbell
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast