mtbr member
    May 2008

Who to get a Wheelset from in Portland area?

I am looking to get a set of wheels made up; Chris King hubs and all. I am not sure if all wheel lacers are created equal, but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience around Portland having somebody make you a wheelset.

I know from Chris King's site you can order wheels directly from them through a dealer. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sellwood Cycle Repair.

Jeremiah built me up some stans/xt last year that are bomber. Matt is also a top notch wheelbuilder.

Check 'em out.

troubled economist
    I've had wheelsets built at both Universal Cycles and CyclePathNW.

No complaints either set.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Even though they are not in Portland, I would go to WebCyclery in Bend. They build a superb wheelset to your specific requirements.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you want to keep your business local, the guys at cyclepath are extremely good mechanics/custom builders so I would expect them to build a really nice wheelset. That being said, I would strongly recommend getting a wheelset from Dave Thomas at www.speeddream.com. All he does is build wheels and he is extremely good at it. I have had two friends buy wheelsets from him in the last six months and they are amazing. Do a search on the other forums for custom wheelsets and you'll see other people's recommendations as well.

Singletrack Addict
    Not to disrespect any of the great builders suggested here, but one of the best things I ever did for myself is learn to build wheels. It's not that much of a mystery and once you've learned the basics your ability to deal with trailside situations increases. I've been building wheels for about ten years, which is not the same as anybody who has been building professionallyfor only a week, but after a couple dozen builds I am now considering getting away from disposable XT hubs and investing in some Chris Kings. And really, when you invest in such a durable hub, the rim and build become disposable, no?

mtbr member
    I'd personally stay away from CyclePath. Needed to get a wheelset relaced and the guy at the counter was really pushing to reuse the nips and spokes, all I wanted to do is reuse the hubs and get new spokes, nipples and rims. I always thought you never reused nipples and spokes.

I've always had good luck with Universal Cycles, if I purchase locally I use them, but have never had them build me a wheelset. Am giving Universal a try with the wheelset that I talked to Cyclepath about.

Have never heard anything bad about Sellwood Cycles, I'd give them a shot if they weren't on the other side of town for me.

Not local but has become a go to shop for me, Red Barn Cycles. Stumbled across them last summer when bike shopping. The owner, Chad, gave me a better deal than anybody in town and service was top notch.

There's also a chick in town building wheels, forget the name of the place, but she only builds wheels.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have bought 3 wheelsets from Universal in the past several years and been very happy with the quality and especially their price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had Jimmy at fat tire farm build me a set with king hubs and mavic rims about 5 years ago, I
    've only had to have them trued twice and broken one spoke (i think that was the branches fault). HIGHLY recommended.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cyclepath is good shop to work with. Very attentive and very knowledgeable. Zero complaints on two wheelsets I have purchased from them. Last one is a pair of wheels with CK hubs, Stan's Arch 29 rims they built up for me.

mtbr member
    Sellwood Cycle is the best shop in town for repairs. Turnaround is pretty fast and prices are quite reasonable. All of the mechanics know their stuff.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2008
    One of the things I considered was that Chris King says on his website that they make up wheelsets and you can get them from dealers. The XC Disc set I would get has an msrp of $750. I just thought about picking a different rim than they had; but I am guessing whatever they put out is probably better than my capabilities.

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles. Great wheels and the price is right. Personally I would go with Hope hubs over CK's. Ck's are great hubs but my wife's require lots of maintenance my hopes 0 maint. in 2 years. Weight is close but Hopes are a little cheaper.
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Universal Cycles

Best price and build in Portland for me. I have a rear wheel I have been hammering for years with no problems....great build quality.

Jaybo