mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Where to ride in Bend?

I'm going to Bend for a couple days and was wondering if I can only do two rides, which one's should I do? I hear the Phil's Trails are a must. Is this true? Any info will help. Thanks!!!

Afric Pepperbird
    Depends on when you're coming.

The higher elevation trails are much better, IMO. If you're coming after 8/15, I'd recommend North Fork- M/W - Flagline trail (Flagline opens that date due to elk calving season).

I love all the trails near Swampy Lakes, Swede Ridge, SST, South Fork, etc. I'd recommend making a long loop involving those.

Mrazek is nice, too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Phil's area is definitely on the to-do list for visitors and locals alike, but what kind of riding do you like to do and what kind of mileage are you looking for with each ride and when are you going to be here?

Most of the riding around Bend leans towards longish mellow descents and climbs with a few routs that have some steeper bits but there is virtually nothing that is so steep that you can't ride up it, so no really steep descents either. If I had one trail that I would take say, my brother on if he were to arrive this weekend it would probably be either getting dropped at the Swampy Sno-park by Cog Wild and riding back to town past the Swampy shelter, Swede Ridge, Sector 16 and dropping into the upper edges of the Phil's complex and them maybe hit Whoops (you are right at the top of it) then cut over to Phil's canyon... a classic ride in the area and with this rain the trails are going to be in near perfect condition. That ride would be what, about 18 miles, maybe 21-22 with the road ride back to your care and/or brewpub. That ride drops about just shy of 2000 ft over the distance. Option #2 would leave Swampy sno-park to Swampy shelter, then down S. Fork and up to Farewell Bend and climb up to Happy Valley next to Tumalo Falls, then Down Metolius/Windigo to Mrazek and back to town, thats closer to 30-32 miles. Option #3 would be arranging a shuttle with Cog Wild again (can you tell I like these guys? and no I don't work for them) and get dropped off at Edison Sno-Park and riding Dynamo Hum back and then split off and hit Funner Near Wanoga Sno-Park then take a right on Storm King and head for the river trail and back to town. The River Trail is super easy and a fair number of hikers on a weekend but it's so dang pretty right now, just super nice.

You could always lap Tiddleywinks and Funner for something a little bit more in the free-ride vein. Lots of options.

mtbr member
    RTurner, thanks for the love!

Rayzer, we offer a daily shuttle at 9am - just call ahead to save your seat and show up with $10 cash for the driver. We also offer day tours, so if you don't want to worry about finding all the trails that are being mentioned above, just give us a call and we will schedule you for amazing riding followed by Deschutes Brewery beer in our fridge at the end of the ride..
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Tactical Nightmare
    Subscribed.

I'll be there at the end of August myself and will be looking to do a couple similar rides. Thanks for the tips here guys, and COG, we may use your services then too, as some guidance wouldn't be bad......not a guide per se, but trail guidance. I always hear good things about COG, so I would have complete confidence in your services......and the Deschutes beer would be perfect. Coming from Corvallis, so not really far. Thanks all!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator