Trail Cubist

Where in Oregon can you ride in scenery like this?

I love scenery like what's the photo below (taken on Monarch Crest near Durango, CO). The vast open areas above treeline that go on for miles, and where you can see a hundred miles the whole time.

Where in Oregon can I go ride to find scenery like this? I don't ask to knock Oregon riding, which is awesome! I just haven't been in Oregon long, and genuinely wondering if there are any trails that look like this?

Most of the rides I've done offer occasional short meadows with views like this—but then you're back in the trees again. I haven't ridden anywhere with the sustained, above-the-treeline riding like this.

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    My bet would be Lookout Mountain in the Ochocos. Also Syncline and Little Moab, which technically are in Washington state but, meh.

mtbr member
    The Elkhorn Crest Trail is at or above tree line. It's very rocky and not really like your picture but does have great views.

And possibly the Grasshopper Mt Trail? I have never ridden it. Here is a TR from Mtbr member Nate Dogg.

Grasshopper Mt Trail
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Afric Pepperbird
    Yes, Syncline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    And possibly the Grasshopper Mt Trail? I have never ridden it. Here is a TR from Mtbr member Nate Dogg.
    It just so happens that DoD is heading there Saturday.

I thought of it but it seems like it's more intermittent large meadows than "vast open areas above treeline"... I guess I'll find out in a couple days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Above the treeline in the Pacific Northwest usually equates to rock or lava rock and lots of it.

Maybe in NE OR (Blue Mountain Range) there are some high alpine meadows like that but there isn't much mountain biking out there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not Oregon but Angels Staircase in WA & other rides in the area have the most beautiful (sustained) alpine meadows I have ever experienced in the states including CO. The White Cloud Wilderness (before they shut it down to bikes) was pretty amazing as well. There are a bunch of rides that bring you above tree line in OR with the added benefit of dumping you back in old growth Doug Fir & Cedar unlike CO. Dear Leap, Alpine, Tire Mtn, just to name a few.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    My bet would be Lookout Mountain in the Ochocos. Also Syncline and Little Moab, which technically are in Washington state but, meh.
    Little Moab?

mtbr member
    It just so happens that DoD is heading there Saturday.

I thought of it but it seems like it's more intermittent large meadows than "vast open areas above treeline"... I guess I'll find out in a couple days.
    Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Little Moab?
    Little Moab is a short DH trail at Syncline reminiscent of the rocky/ledgy trails around Moab. There is nothing committing, but it is fun and playful.

Trail Cubist
    I've hiked Lookout Mtn (but not biked it), and yes–up on top it's wide open with spectacular views!

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    NO trails like that per say on Steens Mountain but it has those views you want, I haven't seen too many like it in the Northwest. Heck, you can make 9700 feet on the bike.

Plus there is hardly a soul out there, talk about riding all day to the hearts content w/o seeing too may people, my kind of country.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Metalheadbikerider
    Eastern Oregon. Maybe the Hell's Canyon area? Syncline has nice views but the trails aren't exactly long, above alpine style trails like this.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    There is one trail right next to Cornucopia that would work that I forgot about. Takes a long time to get back in there, even from Baker it's like an hour-plus. So from PDX or west of the hills it isn't a short drive.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    New trails you rode in 2015 #11
    Elkhorn CrestTrails
    only did it on the moto, but Mt Goats everywhere, and on top above tree line like your photo.

mtbr member
    Drive to Idaho

mtbr member
    There are some views on Surveyor's Ridge ...some
    Most OR trails are deep in the woods. We don't have that high alpine feel because we don't have high alpine trails. There are times where you'll have a great view on many classic trails (e.g. Alpine, O'learie) but they're brief and then you're back in the dark loamy woods (or covered in moon dust if you ride in Bend)
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

On wuss patrol
    When the snow melts next Spring, ride Ape Canyon to the Plains of Abraham at Mt St Helens. The most "above the tree line" and views for miles riding I know of fairly close to PDX. Ride to Windy Ridge then loop back on Smith Creek. You'll finish mostly in the trees but it's a ride that's worth it.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Sections of Bunchgrass, O'Leary trail, Fremont trail and I'll bet a few of the Anthony Lakes area trail.

Take Chances
    Wa but so close I still consider OR riding
    Syncline in the spring is an amazing setting. Tall grass that when the wind blows looks like waves. It's pretty spectacular.

Very top of Cold Creek trail between tower and long shale rock garden.

OR
    Top of Alpine trail in Oakridge