mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Where to live in Bend????

So if a guy was retiring to Bend what part of the city or area would be the most desirable if mountain bike access and ability to walk/ride to stores, bars, etc. Any tips would be appreciated. I currently live in Phoenix AZ but it is just to dang hot and the sun is relentless... although there is a lot of biking within riding distance.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I'd want to live in the Highlands for best access. Phil's trail network would be about 1000' from your house:

18780 Macalpine Loop, Bend, OR 97702 was Recently Sold - Zillow

Most of the trails and mountains are to the west so the further west you live the closer you'll be.

COTA member
    South West side for sure. Anywhere South or West of Cascade Lakes highway (Century Drive). Love being able to jump on my bike and right out the garage are the single track trails. The downside is this is the most expensive part of town.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Check out Sunrise Village, The Parks, Broken Top, Northwest Crossing, Shevlin Meadows, Mt. Bachelor Village, and Widgi Creek developments to start with.

Afric Pepperbird
    In the meantime, I live on the impoverished east side of town. Does anyone know when we'll get a damned hardware store over here??!!

COTA member
    About the same time you get a university

Nat
    Solo contendre
    BTW, Bend is only a few miles across so really anywhere would be "in riding distance" compared to Phoenix. If being in walking distance to stores, bars, and restaurants ranks high on your quality of life scale then you'll want to be somewhat near downtown and The Old Mill shopping center -- anywhere west of the river really.

COTA member
    It is true that Bend is not that big geographically, but it can be slow going "driving" the East/West direction.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    It is true that Bend is not that big geographically, but it can be slow going "driving" the East/West direction.
    That's no lie.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    BTW, Bend is only a few miles across so really anywhere would be "in riding distance" compared to Phoenix. If being in walking distance to stores, bars, and restaurants ranks high on your quality of life scale then you'll want to be somewhat near downtown and The Old Mill shopping center -- anywhere west of the river really.
    I do fine living in RiverRim, off Brookswood. I have a nice trail down the East side of the Deschutes River to the Reed Market Bridge, after that only a hop and a skip to pristine singletrack. Love living in Bend. Plus, I get a nice warm-up before hitting the "good stuff".
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I do fine living in RiverRim, off Brookswood. I have a nice trail down the East side of the Deschutes River to the Reed Market Bridge, after that only a hop and a skip to pristine singletrack. Love living in Bend. Plus, I get a nice warm-up before hitting the "good stuff".
    Yeah, you definitely have a good location. The OP mentioned walking to stores and bars so I think he would like being somewhere near downtown/Old Mill/Galveston/Century Drive in case he needs to stumble home or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The best location to be close to the trails, river and downtown is on the westside of highway 97 (aka the parkway). Beyond that it kind of comes down to price you want to spend on buying a house or rent. The neighborhoods Nat mentioned are great neighborhoods, but they are higher end neighborhoods. There are other neighborhoods on the westside that are a little further to the trails that are more affordable such as the older westside homes and homes along Brookswood. Both are about a 20 minute bike ride to phils trailhead. These areas you are looking at about $300k to buy or $1000 - $1300 for rent if you can find one to rent. The east side isn't too far from the trails or downtown, but you do have more traffic and traffic lights to deal with and it doesn't have the same feel as the westside (some people prefer eastside and some prefer westside). The trade off is that eastside homes are generally a little cheaper. There are some good homes in Mid-town for $170k to $350k, or $900 to $1100 rent.

I have spent some time in Phoenix, and compared to Phoenix, most everywhere in Bend is going to seem relatively close to the trails and downtown.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    My house is on the east side, about a mile straight out from Reed Mkt, where it ends at 27th. In the winter I am closer to the trails, so riding wise, it's not all that bad. Plus, having 2.5 acres, vs a 30' yard and tiny house for the same price on the westside, is worth it for me and the family. Fine I have to slide the bike in the back of my truck and drive 15min to the trail head 2-3 times a week in the summer. No biggie.
    Bend, Oregon