mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Where to go in Oregon? Cliché dense forest trails?

My wife and I are planning a trip Aug 26-30th and would appreciate some local help. We want to go biking at least one day. We are looking for a trail suggestion that also have bike rentals near as we won't be bringing ours along. As cliche as it may be, we are looking for that classic dense rainforesty style trail. We are from Denver, so we are used to rocky mountain desert riding, so something different would be great. Probably around 10-15 miles to be easy on the wife. We both ride, so climbing and technical is just fine. Does anyone have a trail suggestion and a bike rental shop near by? So far we have Crater Lake and the coast on the list. Probably Bend too, but that doesn't mean we have to do the riding there. So somewhere near those locations would be best. Oh, we will be driving our Mazda 3, so no off-roading to get to the trail head!

Thanks everyone!

Afric Pepperbird
    There is not much for "ancient coastal temperate rain forest" type rides here.

Oakridge rides have nice older growth fir & hemlock & spruce forests. Can rent bikes there, too.

Bend has grand old ponderosa forests.

If your trip is strictly for mountain biking, I'd skip the coast.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Where to go in Oregon? Cliché dense forest trails?

Quote Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
    My wife and I are planning a trip Aug 26-30th and would appreciate some local help. We want to go biking at least one day. We are looking for a trail suggestion that also have bike rentals near as we won't be bringing ours along. As cliche as it may be, we are looking for that classic dense rainforesty style trail. We are from Denver, so we are used to rocky mountain desert riding, so something different would be great. Probably around 10-15 miles to be easy on the wife. We both ride, so climbing and technical is just fine. Does anyone have a trail suggestion and a bike rental shop near by? So far we have Crater Lake and the coast on the list. Probably Bend too, but that doesn't mean we have to do the riding there. So somewhere near those locations would be best. Oh, we will be driving our Mazda 3, so no off-roading to get to the trail head!

Thanks everyone!
    You can find those trails around, and west, of Oakridge. The Mercantile rents bikes and they can help with trails.

Along the Cascade crest and east (including Bend) you are in middle latitude desert. Little different from Colorado.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Making fat cool since '71
    If "different from CO" riding is the main thing you're looking for, I would suggest what we call ATC (Alpine+Tire+Coverpatch) ride. It's gets you the "best" of the Alpine trail (fast buff trail through dense canopy mostly, one of the last sections through a stand of ~400 year old evergreens), Tire rips through a couple stands of old growth and Cloverpatch ducks in/out of thick cover. It's ~25 miles, 2300' climbing and 5500' descending. Oregon Adventures can shuttle you up to the drop in on Alpine and Willamette Mountain Mercantile can rent you either a decent or really nice MTB.

Another option would be the full Middle Fork trail. The bottom isn't in dense canopy a ton, but it's a long classic river trail. ~34 miles, 1500' climbing and 4300' descending. Less downhill speed/flow than ATC, more classic XC.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Great suggestions everyone. It sounds like Oakridge is the place to go!

mtbr member
    I recommend also the amazing McKenzie River trail. Talk about lush forests and giant trees. Much of it is almost like a rain forest. It is one of the the most scenic of any ride you can do in Oregon. There are some very technical sections on MRT (lava), but for the most part it's nice flowing dirt.

In Bend, the only ride I would recommend is Northfork. the Northfork / farewell loop is a great loop, and is the most scenic you will find. There are a dozen or so waterfalls right along the northfork trail. It's ridiculous. Coming back along farewell you get great views of the 3 sisters/broken top.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    I recommend also the amazing McKenzie River trail. Talk about lush forests and giant trees. Much of it is almost like a rain forest. It is one of the the most scenic of any ride you can do in Oregon. There are some very technical sections on MRT (lava), but for the most part it's nice flowing dirt.

In Bend, the only ride I would recommend is Northfork. the Northfork / farewell loop is a great loop, and is the most scenic you will find. There are a dozen or so waterfalls right along the northfork trail. It's ridiculous. Coming back along farewell you get great views of the 3 sisters/broken top.
    The McKenzie River Trail is famous for a reason, and there are some sections with very ancient forest. Also the waterfalls and "Blue Pool" for some scenery. Watch for hikers around blue pool and around Clear Lake. It's also super easy to get around without a guide.