mtbr member
    Mar 2008

where to buy kids bmx gear

My 5 y.o. is starting to hit the track and we are looking at getting him some proper gear. Like a jersey, some knee or elbow pads and proper sized bikes/ gear for him. Does anyone have any ideas? Even online stuff seems few and far between? The LBS here in Newberg is really tough to deal with. I like to keep it local (oregon) if at all possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Clint

mtbr member
    The only place I know of that stocks a lot of protective gear is Universal Cycles in on 17th and Thurman in NW PDX. Although I do not know about their kid size selection.

Sinec BMX/MTB gear is very similar to MX gear, you may also want to try Bob Lanphere's Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership in Tigard. Across the highway from the Washington Square Mall. I know for a fact they have kids FOX gear there, which is a lot of the same stuff they market to the BMX/MTB crowd.

mtbr member
    Also...

I'm not sure who sells a decent BMX bike for a 5 year old, but you may want to stop by Fat Tire Farm (NW 27th and Thurman) and Sellwood Cycle off of Millwaukie in Sellwood.

Neither place carries BMX bikes, but the guys in both shops are very helpful and may be able to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charvey9
    The only place I know of that stocks a lot of protective gear is Universal Cycles in on 17th and Thurman in NW PDX. Although I do not know about their kid size selection.

Sinec BMX/MTB gear is very similar to MX gear, you may also want to try Bob Lanphere's Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership in Tigard. Across the highway from the Washington Square Mall. I know for a fact they have kids FOX gear there, which is a lot of the same stuff they market to the BMX/MTB crowd.

I have looked online at Universal and found that they dont have much listed but maybe they have more in the store? I have been meaning to get up there anyways! I never thought about Bob's and that is closer than NW Portland.

Thank you!

clint

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charvey9
    Also...

I'm not sure who sells a decent BMX bike for a 5 year old, but you may want to stop by Fat Tire Farm (NW 27th and Thurman) and Sellwood Cycle off of Millwaukie in Sellwood.

Neither place carries BMX bikes, but the guys in both shops are very helpful and may be able to point you in the right direction.

I have talked to Tim at the Farm about bikes and he is willing to order what ever I need but is limited to Intense as far a a decent price. I think I have found some decent bikes used around here and am going that option until he is bigger or really gets into it.

Have not been into Sellwood cycle yet. Isn't that where Tonkin works? Suppose I could stop by just for the cyclocross and "just happen" to mention BMX bikes while there!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    there's a bmx type shop in Millwaukie I think. Or go to Danscomp.com