Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    It is bad form to post directions to unauthorized trails. Please PM directions, or better yet, keep info on new trails to one's self. The less traffic a trail sees, the better condition it will remain. A lot of trails are being butchered by braids and shortcuts from groms and newbs.
    henryl, I get it for sure. Don't want to see these trails get taken down. That said, how would one know which trails are approved up there versus the ones that aren't? I mean, the maps linked above both show a mix of authorized and unauthorized trails, so it certainly is public information. I know that OSU's College of Forestry has a website here, that shows a list of trails. Are these the only legal trails out there? If so, there are a lof of unauthorized trails up there! Really, the only one lately I have seen affected with braids has been Extendo, as I mentioned in an above post. That one is now closed for the winter though (to MTBs) so that will slow it some, I'm sure.

I guess the secrecy about it is what confuses me or at least makes me chuckle. I have been out riding and riden by a group of guys getting suited up with downhill gear, and got the looks like "Don't look over here, we aren't getting ready to a ride a trail that really doesn't exsist, and we may have to kill you because you know where it is". Or my riding buddy and I have been out on the trails and come across some riders and we ask where a certain trail is, to which we know the name and know it exsists, and we are given the deer in headlights look, like they don't want to share their special little trail. In fact, on Facebook, I am a member of the group Corvallis and Area Mountain Biking Group, and information about unauthorized trails is talked about pretty freely. So, while I get the need and desire to keep these trails in place, the "super secret" trail thing is a bit odd. But, I will do my part and not discuss these trails, or at least their loacations specifically, on the open boards. PM inbound slopefish.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Every few years OSU gets all anxious about the unauthorized trails and goes out and puts signs up telling people to stay off them. They have in the past trolled message boards for any mention of those trails and posted messages to stay off them. The less you throw it in their faces the less likely they are to mount a full scale response to them. The Deer in the headlights look can be simply because every trail has 10 different names depending on which group you ride with, there's no concerted effort to come up with a consistent name for each trail among the various groups.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I need a grand tour of these trails. New or old. Sanctioned or "illegal"

Ridden Endo. Extendo. Gnarnia. Ridge Trail. Dans. Bombs. Most of Marys.

Still need Southside Slip. Plunge... Etc etc etc etc....

Still need to figure out best places to park and best routes to ride for getting the most action. I ride a big sloppy bike. I like the fire road up and tech singletrack down recipe. Just sayin.

Live 2 Ride
    You could park at peavy, work your way up the fire road to Cronemiller lake than come down through Calloway. Pretty technical if you do it that way.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Tactical Nightmare
    Alright, I get it. I get not telling folks about non-publicized, non-authorized trails. I have been thinking about all of this as I have been riding these trails and discovering others, and I get the need to keep them semi-secretive amongst the community as a whole. Keeping these trails in existence is of the utmost importance for all of us Mac Forest riders, and I will do my part to keep it this way.

Now, with that said, I guess my request or statement in regards to this is…….I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE THESE COOL TRAILS ARE! I WOULDN’T EVEN MIND HELPING BUILD THEM TOO!

Truly, I love the trails up in the Mac Forest, and it is so fun to find something new to ride up there. I am not one that would ever report new trail building to “authorities” in hopes of this stuff getting taken down. No way. I ride this stuff, and want it to stay there for sure.

I guess one wish or hope for myself and a riding buddy of mine, is that if a new feature is built, would it be possible to make them difficult for you very experienced riders, but also roll-able for the guys that can’t clear a 4 foot gap? For example, the first bridge on Scream....fun to fly off, but roll-able too. I don’t want to sound like I am trying to puss-ify your trails, as that is not my point. Both my riding buddy and I can ride some pretty technical trails, but it is the “getting air” that I tend to stay away from, for the most part. My 39 year old body just doesn’t take the abuse from a crash as well any longer! Dammit! So again, by no means do I want your trails to be weak-sauce capable. I would just love to see certain features built with an option to roll it as well as jump it. This gives us guys that love riding these trails the chance to ride the features and feel like we are good, while the guys that are really good can hit the jump or feature and go as big as they want. Just a request that I thought I would throw out there with no expectations at all.

Thanks to whomever, for the kick ass trails around here!

mtbr member
    Rule # 1 when riding any new trail for the first time is to scope it out cautiously and not assume it's been built for your riding level. That said, I can't think of one trail that doesn't have a ride-around for a technical feature/stunt, rare as they are in the Forest. The feature on the trail you or your buddy wrecked on, had a ride-around. Seems like you need to be a little more cautious first time through and take the b-lines.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    Rule # 1 when riding any new trail for the first time is to scope it out cautiously and not assume it's been built for your riding level. That said, I can't think of one trail that doesn't have a ride-around for a technical feature/stunt, rare as they are in the Forest. The feature on the trail you or your buddy wrecked on, had a ride-around. Seems like you need to be a little more cautious first time through and take the b-lines.
    Oh totally on scouting it first. I agree 100% and should have on the one I wrecked on, and admitted as such. I have since hit the jump with success, but also ridden around it more recently just based on the fairly slick landing spot.

You are dead on with the fact that I should take B-Lines until I can do the jump line or whatever it is. I guess I just wish I could do some of what is up there. I suppose that is what it comes down to, I wish. One line I am speaking of is on a trail I have been riding since the summer. Well, I discovered a new spur to that trail recently and have been riding that as it is just a fun trail. Well, I also found a really cool “addition” to this trail that is new, and involves a pretty fair drop over and off a log, into a turn with a nice, natural berm after it. It looks so sweet, and possibly not that hard. I look at it and wish I could do it, or even attempt it, but it has a pretty good gap in it to clear before the landing. My thought, and I of course wouldn’t arbitrarily just do this, but if that gap was filled in, it would be rollable, yet wouldn’t change the angle or line for the jump and could still be cleared. One could then roll it a couple of times prior to jumping it, getting the feel of the transition until they were ready to actually jump it.

Don’t get me wrong, the fact that there are gaps make these feature fun for the guys who can do it, I get that. For me, I will continue to scout the trails first (duh!), and continue to work on my skills, in hopes of getting to the point of riding all that I want to ride. Thanks henryl for the reminder. I know it now for sure, and should have then too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2