mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Whats good near the coast?

Here's the deal:
    I've been working super long hours, (12 hour shifts 6-7 days/week) and since so many people are getting hurt from being tired, our hours are being cut from 80/week to a normal 40/week. I'm out of work Wednesdays at 11am and work in Hillsboro. Is there anything near the coast, maybe Tillamook forest area that's good this time of year?

I can just bring my bike to work and continue down 26 after work. I have all the trail maps, but I know some are recommended to stay clear of in muddy conditions, and others are slippery clay. Any info is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't ride the coast range as much as I should but I think others will recommend wilson river trail for best drainage this time of the year. What type of riding are you looking to do?

mtbr member
    You can try Brown's Camp and Gales Creek (both excellent rides, or both in one day if you have the endurance), just make sure it's been dry for a few days. It can be quite muddy, and it's a slippery mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have ridden Browns and Gales. Its a fun ride, but never have attempted it in the winter. Another trail system that is in the area is stub stewart state park. They have xc trails as well as a small freeride area. Generally stub is ridable after a day or two of dry with just a few really muddy spots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks all.

Finch, I mostly ride faster downhill type trails, and enjoy getting my legs stretched once in a while with some endurance trails. Regular rides are Sandy, cold creek, post canyon, or black rock.

BUT, I took a pretty good hit to the shoulder and head a couple days ago at Post Canyon, so I'm looking for some XC stuff for now. Nothing too rough, my shoulder feels it in rock gardens, or rough areas.

I've ridden the Storyey Burn area last summer, but it seemed to hold mud well from previous rain.

mtbr member
    Drewbis, Wilson River trail is in pretty good shape right now. The downhills are fast and the track is grippy. Fun trail. The caveat is that you really have to earn it on the trail. Steep, long climbs cut out of the side of the hills as the trail goes up and over the ridges for miles.

We like to start at the Jones Creek area near the forestry center (past Kings Mountain trailhead) and do an out-and-back East as far as we feel, judging time and energy to decide when to turn around.

It is the first trail ready in the spring and great training. After it dries out a bit we generally hit Brown's Camp and Gales Creek or Reehers-Gales.

Cyklops

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There is Ravens Ridge DH out in the coast range as well. I've never ridden it but i've heard a few say its worth checking out.