Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

What tires are you using?

Well, my Continental Verticals are worn out and I'm interested in finding a new tire that can handle the forest singletrack. Hopefully a solid all around tire, something that can handle mud, loose gravel, and hardpack. A bunch of friends ride Nevegal's here and like them for the traction, but I'd like to stay a bit lighter than 700-800 grams per tire if possible. Most likely a 2.3-2.4 up front, and a 2.1 or 2.2 in the rear.

What tires do you love for front and back? (and what do they weigh if you know)

Live 2 Ride
    IRC Mythros 2.1 for me. My favorite is Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I rode 2.3 Vertical Pros for several years and they worked well for me. I mostly ride Brown's Camp, Gales, and WRT, with occasional trips to MRT and Surveryors Ridge. I gave 2.1 Nevegals a try, but I found they were not good in any wet conditions. The thin sidewalls of the Nevegals gave out on the lava at MRT so I'm not certain I'll try them again. I have been running 2.4 Mountain Kings with black chili(Protection in back, Supersonic in front, both tubeless with Stan's) since August and I have really liked them. I really did not want the added weight, but have not really noticed the increase. The SS are very thin sidewall, but I have not had them in the lava yet. The Stan's continues to weep through the SS sidewalls even after 5 months, but it does hold air just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    I rode 2.3 Vertical Pros for several years and they worked well for me. I mostly ride Brown's Camp, Gales, and WRT, with occasional trips to MRT and Surveryors Ridge. I gave 2.1 Nevegals a try, but I found they were not good in any wet conditions. The thin sidewalls of the Nevegals gave out on the lava at MRT so I'm not certain I'll try them again. I have been running 2.4 Mountain Kings with black chili(Protection in back, Supersonic in front, both tubeless with Stan's) since August and I have really liked them. I really did not want the added weight, but have not really noticed the increase. The SS are very thin sidewall, but I have not had them in the lava yet. The Stan's continues to weep through the SS sidewalls even after 5 months, but it does hold air just fine.
    Going from the ultra knobby Verticals to the MK's, how does the traction compare? I've read great things about the black chili compound, but I was sceptical about the tread pattern on the MK's in wet and loose conditions. Any experience on wet roots with them?

mtbr member
    I would certainly like to know the opinions to this question as well. Currently I use 2.35 Intense Fro Lites which are super good tires, never had a flat or any condition........ and the horrible downside to these double walled training weight tires the the porky weight of 1460 grams!!!! I am looking to replace tires with something tough and good in mud with less weight.

I tried nevegals last spring and they didn't last three months. Also had some bad luck WTBs. Some of the best luck I have had besides the Intense tires was the stock Specialized tires that came on my enduro.

Anyhow, please chime in.

troubled economist
    I find the Scwalbe tires a great combination of lightweight and a decent casing. I ran a 2.4 Big Betty (non-DH-casing) on my hardtail last year everywhere, including Black Rock, and didn't have any issues w/ the casing. In contrast the single-ply Nevegals are light, but the sidewalls are less than ideal for aggressive riding or terrain, IMO. I would look there if you want to try something new.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    I gave 2.1 Nevegals a try, but I found they were not good in any wet conditions. .
    Well I ride Nevegals because they hook up nice when its wet, but I guess it could just be my riding style. They are hard to push but the traction is nice.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

tires

I've ridden Panaracer Rampage 2.35s for a couple of years in all seasons and all locations. Have loved them. They are worn now and I've been thinking about buying another set, but the weight on the Schwalbe Rocket Rons is giving me pause. Anyone have any experience with the Rocket Rons 2.4s?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have had good luck with the Rocket Ron's but have only been using them for 2 months or so now.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    It seems rare that any of us have the same experience with tires. I have done a lot of winter riding the past 5 years and think I'm better in the wet every year. I thought the Nevegals rolled fine compared to Vert. Pros, but they did not hook up in the wet as well. I probably gave up too quickly on them in the rear. I do not think the MKs are as good as Vert Pros in the wet, but the larger volume (and running lower pressure) has proven to work very well overall for me in all conditions. They definitely corner better that Vert Pros and are much better downhill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alembical
    I have had good luck with the Rocket Ron's but have only been using them for 2 months or so now.
    What part of the state are you riding in, and has this been during the winter?

In terms of sidewall durability, other than a few trips each summer to a place like MRT, there's nothing here (Corvallis) that would rip a tire, so I'm not too worried about durability, just grip and weight.

Tree Hugger
    Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1 in the front
    Kenda KOT in the rear
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    The Schwalbe Muddy Mary is the best tire I have tried for Western Oregon winters. They are better than Nevs in just about every capacity. They roll better, grip better, wear better and have better sidewalls. It's too bad they aren't a bit cheaper.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How about 29er riders? I live on the coast and need a good mud tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ripped the sidewalls out of three Nevegals before I could bring myself to try the Mountain King 2.4 because the tread didn't "look" like it was good enough and where did they get "2.4"? Sorry I took so long, they out perform the nevegal in every way, yeah 29er SS fully ridged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Avam, how does the width of the 2.4 Mountain King compare to other tires like the 2.35 Nevegal and the 2.3 Conti Vertical?

Alembical, I've read that the Rocket Ron's are on the small side for a 2.4, is that true? Can you compare it to some of the other tires mentioned in terms of air volume and width?

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My 2.3 Conti Verticals seemed to measure about 2.1. My Nevegals were 2.1 and measured about 2.1. The 2.4 MKs measure between 2.25 and 2.3.

ronbo613
    I rode Continental Vertical Pros for awhile; good all around tire, they last a long time; very durable. Rode Kenda Nevegal 2.1 that came on my new bike; they were OK. I didn't ride them very long before switching to Nevegal 2.35. I really like them. I ride over varied terrain; including some pretty rocky stuff and have not had any sidewall issues. I've had a couple thorn flats and some of the side knobs have been ripped away from the casing so I glued them back with superglue. This is not just a Nevegal deal; I remember Panaracer Smokes doing the same thing. Softer rubber gets shredded; that's the way it goes. I reckon the 2.35s are heavier than smaller tires; but I'm so slow already it probably is not a factor. They are great handling tires; very secure.
    When I wear out the Nevegals; I have another set of Vertical Pros ready to go; if I put them on and feel bad about it; I'll go back to the Nevegals or try another tire that is 2.25-2.35; I like the bigger skins.

FKA Malibu412
    For the past 3 months, Nev 2.1s that came with the bike. Seem great in the slimy transition (between rains) stuff I ride quite a bit within an hour of PDX. I reversed the rear for a little more forward bite. Both are 2.1s so I rotate them every 150-200 miles to keep the wear even and make the set last a little longer--I wear out rears faster with braking over occasional rocky stuff.

I like 'em but thinking about a 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro replacement set.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 01-05-2010 at 11:57 PM.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by tool addict
    I ripped the sidewalls out of three Nevegals...
    What kind of pressures were you running in the Nevs? Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What kind of pressures were you running in the Nevs? Tubeless?
    Don't know exactly my fingers have been out of cal. for some time now. But most people think its too low for a guy as big as me. But I don't pinch flat very often

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by tool addict
    Don't know exactly my fingers have been out of cal. for some time now. But most people think its too low for a guy as big as me. But I don't pinch flat very often

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Malibu412
    I do not use a gauge and a number in psi is meaningless unless you know the rider weight and are familiar with the particular tire. 20psi in a downhill tire is very different than in a nevegal and 20 psi for a 140lb rider is very different than for a 240lb rider. I was trying to convey that I am a large guy 6'2" and anywhere from 210 to 250lbs depending on the time of year and what I had for breakfast. My tires are my suspension, and the pressures I usually run are very low for my weight . The Nevegals did not stand up for me when I gave them that much of sidewall work out. It seemed like they sort of unraveled, the material in the side wall could not stand up to the amount of flexing that low pressure and my enlarged liver put on them. None of the people I ride with have had the same problems with the Nevegals. The few riders I know who use similar pressure weight ratio do not use the Nevegals. The Mountain King 2.4 is really about the same size as a 2.3 and has so far stood up to low pressure and fat rider, and in my opinion has better all around grip less weight and perceived rolling resistance. And pinch flat referred to tubes.

FKA Malibu412
    Thanks addict--that gives some clarity. From what you wrote in this and others posts, I sorta guessed you were likely running sub-20 pressures and tubes (few pinch flats) as a 6'er + over 200#. Pretty much what I see on rigid SS 29ers.

I ride with some guys who share your tire philosophy--tires are suspension--and only go by keeping the pressure just above the pinch flat level. No gauges. I am 6'7", 235 and ride my Nevs at about 35 in certain conditions, 40-45 in others. My riding buds think I need to drop pressure but at my weight and with the flimsy sidewalls, I am about as low as I want to go. I have FS and occasionally pinch flat at 35. Like anyone, I try to make it through a ride without too many flat hassles so perhaps I give up some vertical flex and lateral grip for that. To go lower, I would change tires and go a little wider. What I am finding with this particular tire is that it is not the right tool for those who go low and I believe many who do not like it or find it does not work (pealed knobs, sketchy handling, blown sidewalls and such) are not using it as it was designed--a reasonably priced, grippy compound, medium weight XC/AM tire. You obviously switched to something that suits your style better and that is a good thing.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

I got nothin'
    I have been riding on Neve's for two years now on my SS and FS. I am about 165lbs and run them at about 25psi (2.35) front and 30 psi (1.95) rear on my SS. On my FS I run front and rear at about 30 psi (2.1 both). I have really liked them in most conditions. I have ridden them on both the dry and wet side and even up in central WA with no flats, lost knobs, or torn sidewalls.

I put on a set of Hutchison Spyder Airlights on my SS and went on my a$$ three times on a semi-wet ride out at Scapposse. They didn't work for me. I have ridden IRC Mythos but they pack up in mud quick and don't release well. I am now riding some Maxxis Medusa's on my SS but they are really narrow, but they grip like mad in muddy-wet conditions.

I'd like to try the Mountain Kings some day when I wear out the Nevegals. I wish they had a true 2.4 or 2.5 for the front of my SS.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast