mtbr member
    Jan 2012

What should we ride in Oakridge?

A small group of us have 2 or 3 days to spend riding in Oakridge. We will will all be riding short travel full suspension bikes, and are fairly advanced riders. We are wondering what are the "can't miss" trails, and what ones are overhyped. We are not opposed to shuttles in order to maximize or time, and see as many trails as possible.

Also, if anyone has advice on lodging or camping in the area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    The Slow Guy

mtbr member
    Hardesty
    Alpine
    Middle F. Willamette (from Timpagonas Lake... and explore the Sawtooth mtn loop)
    Bunchgrass
    Waldo Lake - mt Fuji - Charlton lakes loop
    And these are the only ones that I have ridden... there are many more.

And to answer the question of your post...... cuz you would be silly not to ride there and a terrible loss if you didn't!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Theslowguy View Post
    A small group of us have 2 or 3 days to spend riding in Oakridge. We will will all be riding short travel full suspension bikes, and are fairly advanced riders. We are wondering what are the "can't miss" trails, and what ones are overhyped. We are not opposed to shuttles in order to maximize or time, and see as many trails as possible.

Also, if anyone has advice on lodging or camping in the area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    The Slow Guy
    Depends on the time of year. Many of the high country trails will still be under snow for a month or two. Check with the Mercantile and/or Oregon Adventures for the latest conditions and advice on trails to suit your wants.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's melting fast down there with this dry hot weather. I rode Hardesty on saturday and the whole trail is dry. I think only Tire Mountain and Bunchgrass will really be under snow for much longer. Moon Point is accessibe if you go up trail.
    You can ride up in Oakridge, but the main reason many folks shuttle is that the uprides are just gravel grinder FS roads. There are very few reasonable up trails in the area. Here are my favorites for the area, in order:

1. Tire Mountain - perfect old growth smooth single track, done with upper Alpine and Clover Patch
    2. Alpine - Even if it might be overhyped, its still amazing for its length and quality.
    3. Lawler
    4. Hardesty
    5. Moon Point - Add in the lower MFW
    6. Middle Fork of the Willamette
    7. Larrison Rock - would be better if it was longer, but its awesome!
    8. Larrison Creek

I have not ridden Deception Butte or Bunchgrass, but I want to do those quite a bit.

There are many other good trails in the area that I haven't ridden as well. I usually only get about 5 trips a year down there, so I tend to ride the famous stuff multiple times.

mtbr member
    You can't really go wrong with any trail in the OROR area, particularly if you finish with a little road ride to the Brewers Union.

I'd say have fun, but it's impossible not to. : )

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    One trail I did during the Fat 55 that was really a challenging climb and descent was Huckletooth Mountain:

Heckletooth.wmv - YouTube

mtbr member
    I'm gonna say it. Alpine is over rated.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I have to agree...But add Tire Mt, and it's a whole lot better.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

But still very good.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Heckletooth and Lawler. Rode Lawler a couple days ago. A little snow up top and a few downed trees, but totally rideable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I used to think this, but then I stopped worrying about other folks ratings. Does it get a little too hyped? Sure, but it's still an awesome trail and one of the very best in Oregon. Sandy is also stupidly overhyped and overrated (I'd venture there are a lot of folks in pdx that don't know of an riding other than sandy), but it's still a great trail system

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Lawler earlier last week:
    What should we ride in Oakridge?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367771777.784929.jpg
    What should we ride in Oakridge?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367771802.944317.jpg
    What should we ride in Oakridge?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367771829.409271.jpg
    What should we ride in Oakridge?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367771858.597915.jpg
    What should we ride in Oakridge?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367771883.333312.jpg

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Most of the trails in Oakridge are way better than anything at Sandy. That is not to say Sandy isn't a great trail system but Oakridge is just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I used to think this, but then I stopped worrying about other folks ratings. Does it get a little too hyped? Sure, but it's still an awesome trail and one of the very best in Oregon. Sandy is also stupidly overhyped and overrated (I'd venture there are a lot of folks in pdx that don't know of an riding other than sandy), but it's still a great trail system

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What's the latest. Is all the snow gone from the higher trails.