mtbr member

What can you tell me about Salem?

Not just the riding but the beers, hiking, attitudes of people living there etc. Thinking about moving out of the SF Bay Area and Oregon has made the list. I was born and raised in NorCal and my wife is from Iowa, we are not the Californians you hear about. We know how to drive, we are not rich, we just love the outdoors and are looking for a new start,
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    There's not much in the immediate Salem area for riding. That said, Salem Area Trail Alliance (SATA) is just getting started and they've made some remarkable progress in just a couple of years, including a first stab at a mountain bike-optimized trail in the Silver Falls state park (about 40min away) and funding for a city bike park.

Salem Area Trail Alliance

It's about 45 minutes to Black Rock Mountain Bike Area (BRMBA), which is one of the best trail networks in the state and certainly the top freeriding area.

Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

I don't get into Salem to eat much at all, but if I were I'd go to Venti's first. Dino used to be a builder at Black Rock.

Venti's Cafe – Good Clean Food, Great Craft Beer

Afric Pepperbird
    What is making you think Salem, as opposed to, say, Eugene or Bend or Ashland? Salem is somewhat of a wasteland for a city of its size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    What is making you think Salem, as opposed to, say, Eugene or Bend or Ashland? Salem is somewhat of a wasteland for a city of its size.
    We are looking all over, but we saw a beautiful house for a really good price. That's why I am asking, maybe too good to be true.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wouldn't want to live in Salem, you probably don't either. Check housing prices in Albany, on par to maybe cheaper than Salem. Albany is close to Corvallis which I would consider a very desirable place to live. Access to riding, brew pubs (one of the best), restaurants, and crew in the event you asked about it on that other thread.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The state capitol building reminds me of a freehub. That's about all I have to say about Salem.

What can you tell me about Salem?-oregon-capitol-582.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    There's no there there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Not just the riding but the beers, hiking, attitudes of people living there etc. Thinking about moving out of the SF Bay Area and Oregon has made the list. I was born and raised in NorCal and my wife is from Iowa, we are not the Californians you hear about. We know how to drive, we are not rich, we just love the outdoors and are looking for a new start,
    Born and raised in Salem been here over five decades now. No long trails in Salem, but there are some short ones around Sprague High School and out West Salem Spring Valley state park. You're not too far from other places to ride like Shellburg Falls, Silver Creek Falls(Catamount Trail), Falls City(Black Rock), Alsea Falls, Mac forest, Dallas. If you just want to put some miles in Minto Brown Island in Salem you can ride all you want although it does get boring, but its good for this old grumpy clyde. As for beer Salem has a few breweries, but nothing like Bend or Portland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    We know how to drive
    Well, that will definitely disqualify you from fitting in around here. You'll have to practice driving 5 under in the left lane of I-5 holding up a line of 50 cars, completely forget how to handle any driving situation that requires figuring out who has the right-of-way, and merging, folks 'round these parts don't do merging.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If I got to up and move to any city in Oregon, Salem would be last on the list. Sure, parts of West and South Salem are nice but ever been to North Salem or arts of Kiezer?? Tried to drive from one end of Lancaster to the other? Though...hmmm I'll drive over the bridge during rush hour. No fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I shouldn't have been so hard on Salem. I make sales calls there and there isn't much there in my industry. On the plus side for Salem, it seems that it has more than it's share of pretty girls, just my opinion.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The state capitol building reminds me of a freehub. That's about all I have to say about Salem.
    This is a terrific observation, Nat! Hmmm... does it turn clockwise or CCW? Methinks to the left.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.