Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    just like a speeder-bike
    Reputation: Barkdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    322

    New question here. Wet-weather epic, this Sat.: Lewis River Trail (Wa.), Oakridge, or ___?

    We have an east-coast buddy who's traveling through Eugene/Portland. We're looking to treat him to the best ride possible, hopefully at least 20 - 35 miles this Saturday, rain or shine... And we're game for anything from Oakridge, Oregon to Southern Washington. (I posted this in both Ore. and Wash. forums.)

    A friendly source recommended the Lewis River Trail in Washington, thinking that it wouldn't be under snow -- and that it may be muddy, but rideable. We're looking for a second opinion on that trail's current status, or any other definitive, recent trail news/advice.

    In the past and around this time of year, we showed our buddy the Alpine trail in Oakridge (we'd love to go back). I'd also like to try the Middle Fork of the Willamette trail near Oakridge, but I think those trails might be under snow now... Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    I think the freezing level is dropping....

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    We have an east-coast buddy who's traveling through Eugene/Portland. We're looking to treat him to the best ride possible, hopefully at least 20 - 35 miles this Saturday, rain or shine... And we're game for anything from Oakridge, Oregon to Southern Washington. (I posted this in both Ore. and Wash. forums.)

    A friendly source recommended the Lewis River Trail in Washington, thinking that it wouldn't be under snow -- and that it may be muddy, but rideable. We're looking for a second opinion on that trail's current status, or any other definitive, recent trail news/advice.

    In the past and around this time of year, we showed our buddy the Alpine trail in Oakridge (we'd love to go back). I'd also like to try the Middle Fork of the Willamette trail near Oakridge, but I think those trails might be under snow now... Thanks in advance.
    The freezing level is supposed to be at 2,000 feet all week but popping back up over the weekend. Lewis River would might be good. I just don't think it is all that hot a ride but what do I know. I wonder if the lower part of McKenzie River would be in decent shape. What does your buddy like to ride?

    Jaybo

  3. #3
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    In the past and around this time of year, we showed our buddy the Alpine trail in Oakridge (we'd love to go back). I'd also like to try the Middle Fork of the Willamette trail near Oakridge, but I think those trails might be under snow now... Thanks in advance.
    Alpine will definitely be under snow, but middle Fork should have 30 miles round trip clear of snow easily. There are some really damaged trail sections at the very bottom, so people have been starting about 2.5 miles upstream of Sand Prarie campground. I have been told that you can get to Rigdon meadows without much trouble, and don't know conditions above Rigdon.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  4. #4
    just like a speeder-bike
    Reputation: Barkdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The freezing level is supposed to be at 2,000 feet all week but popping back up over the weekend. Lewis River would might be good. I just don't think it is all that hot a ride but what do I know. I wonder if the lower part of McKenzie River would be in decent shape. What does your buddy like to ride?

    Jaybo
    Thanks Jaybo. He likes pretty much... anything, technical, twisty, you name it. I think we're all wishing the McKenzie was completely open right now....

  5. #5
    Making fat cool since '71
    Reputation: ImaKlyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    Since you've put options here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    Thanks Jaybo. He likes pretty much... anything, technical, twisty, you name it. I think we're all wishing the McKenzie was completely open right now....

    I won't respond the earlier question of "where" for your private party ride this weekend. The MRT isn't a technical trail, it's a beutiful/scenic trail, but other than a few spots up high it's not a technically challenging ride really. The most of it is under snow right now. I went by this last weekend and it wouldn't be rideable except for the lower 1/3 or so and that's all, basically, walking path stuff, not much mtb excitement to be had (from a tech stand point).

    If I can talk myself into the drive I'll probably be on MF, but knowing me and my aversion to driving I'll likely go to Whypass or Hardesty, maybe Crawfish, but the top of that is probably under snow as well (it was several weeks ago...). Those are some very technical trails...(and will kick my arse, which I need).

    Options for you.

    Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

    Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paco Finn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    The freezing level is supposed to be at 2,000 feet all week but popping back up over the weekend. Lewis River would might be good. I just don't think it is all that hot a ride but what do I know. I wonder if the lower part of McKenzie River would be in decent shape. What does your buddy like to ride?

    Jaybo

    I am with Jaybo on this one. It will be well in the snow zone. Maybe some tech. snowshoeing is in order...

    Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

  7. #7
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    Dang, Paco!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paco Finn
    I am with Jaybo on this one. It will be well in the snow zone. Maybe some tech. snowshoeing is in order...

    Nate
    You are agreeing with me on something? Hmm.

    Jaybo

    PS The Gorge 400 is probably in good shape for riding.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paco Finn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You are agreeing with me on something? Hmm.

    Jaybo

    PS The Gorge 400 is probably in good shape for riding.

    Yes, it shocked me too. Hell must be freezing over so I guess riding there is out as well.

    Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

  9. #9
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    Syncline was decent today

    Quote Originally Posted by Paco Finn
    Yes, it shocked me too. Hell must be freezing over so I guess riding there is out as well.

    Nate
    Pretty dry for the most part. Coyote was in good shape. I crashed twice on the way down...my skills continue to erode What skills I had

    Jaybo

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Pretty dry for the most part. Coyote was in good shape. I crashed twice on the way down...my skills continue to erode What skills I had

    Jaybo
    Hey Jaybo,

    Glad to hear you got out today, I am planning on riding Syncline or Three Corner tommorrow late am/early pm.

    How was the climb up Syncline, torn up and muddy or dry? and did you make it down Coyote Cliffs as well. My favorite run up there is up "Little Maui" to top of Syncline to pasture, down beginning part of Hospital Hill, cross over pasture to Coyote Cliffs down to parking lot then back up Little Maui and down Little Moab. Makes a nice 1.5 loop for a 2-3hr spin.

    Are you riding tomorrow? Three Corner was a blast two weeks ago, but I haven't been to Syncline since late fall due all the moisture and trail damage, trying to do my part and perserve the trails when I can by not riding on them when in an eroded condition. So are they good to go right now?

    Thanks,

    - Jon.

  11. #11
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    Sounds good....

    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey Jaybo,

    Glad to hear you got out today, I am planning on riding Syncline or Three Corner tommorrow late am/early pm.

    How was the climb up Syncline, torn up and muddy or dry? and did you make it down Coyote Cliffs as well. My favorite run up there is up "Little Maui" to top of Syncline to pasture, down beginning part of Hospital Hill, cross over pasture to Coyote Cliffs down to parking lot then back up Little Maui and down Little Moab. Makes a nice 1.5 loop for a 2-3hr spin.

    Are you riding tomorrow? Three Corner was a blast two weeks ago, but I haven't been to Syncline since late fall due all the moisture and trail damage, trying to do my part and perserve the trails when I can by not riding on them when in an eroded condition. So are they good to go right now?

    Thanks,

    - Jon.
    I went Maui to the top of Syncline and down Coyote.

    Coyote was good...wet in places. Syncline is damage but mostly dry. The freeze/thaw cycle we are in is tough on the trails. I'm actually going to do some trail maintenance this year up there...if I can avoid the Oak.

    I will look for your number and give you a call. Riding sounds good.

    Jaybo

    PS I'm in dreadful shape right now.

  12. #12
    just like a speeder-bike
    Reputation: Barkdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    322

    ... and if we just ... The Middle Fork was Great!

    Here's a quick ride report:

    We hit the Middle Fork of the Willamette today, recklessly starting at Sand Prarie. It actually wasn't so bad near the bottom... if you don't mind getting your feet wet a little. We hit at least 6 stream crossings in the first 5.5 miles (ranging from rideable, to off-the-bike walking / dipping your toes / lucky we didn't get soaked) -- and walked / climbed over twice as many fallen trees. That section was still worth it.

    And after about 5.5 miles (there was a crossing over the river on a paved, car-friendly bridge), the trail was just sweet! We had another stream or two to deal with, but the ride picked up noticeably and the trail got even better. We made it almost 11 miles (total) upstream before my time constraints called us home.

    What a great trail, and what scenery. I can't wait to ride the rest of the way when the weather's better and the trail's been cleared (finger's crossed). THANK YOU all for the trail advice.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: General Coonskins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    Glad to hear it

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    Here's a quick ride report:

    We hit the Middle Fork of the Willamette today, recklessly starting at Sand Prarie. It actually wasn't so bad near the bottom... if you don't mind getting your feet wet a little. We hit at least 6 stream crossings in the first 5.5 miles (ranging from rideable, to off-the-bike walking / dipping your toes / lucky we didn't get soaked) -- and walked / climbed over twice as many fallen trees. That section was still worth it.

    And after about 5.5 miles (there was a crossing over the river on a paved, car-friendly bridge), the trail was just sweet! We had another stream or two to deal with, but the ride picked up noticeably and the trail got even better. We made it almost 11 miles (total) upstream before my time constraints called us home.

    What a great trail, and what scenery. I can't wait to ride the rest of the way when the weather's better and the trail's been cleared (finger's crossed). THANK YOU all for the trail advice.

    Sounds like you got some good riding in, we (The DOD) will be up that way end of March doing some trail work on that trail. Right now you can park at what we call Butcher Knife, where you crossed on the paved bridge, and ride up for about 10-12 miles before hitting much more blow down and any snow.
    Just the Pictures

    The Shop


    The Blog

    Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSconny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    169
    Rode Butcherknife to Sacondaga yesterday. The trail itself is in really good condition. There are a few trees down. We did stop a few places and moved some trees off of the trail to make the flow continue. Bert brought his saw with him, and it seems like that tool always comes in handy.
    The river did some amazing things this past January. At the Butcherknife bridge crossing, the river has taken on an entire new path. Pretty incredible. The old fork of the river is all covered with river rock, but no river any more.
    Looking forward to trailwork the end of the month.

    SSconny

  15. #15
    The Dude Abides
    Reputation: theeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    296
    anybody think the trails around portland/vancour/hood river will be rideable after the rain and snow the last few days?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    anybody think the trails around portland/vancour/hood river will be rideable after the rain and snow the last few days?
    I am wondering the same thing, did some great riding last weekend and hoping for a repeat this weekend. I think Sunday will be the best bet if Sat. warms up and the white stuff above 500ft. starts melting quickly.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paco Finn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    324
    Although it is beautiful outside with all the fresh snow - it is wet and muddy underneath. Maybe find a trail above 1000' and just ride in 6-10" might be nice and doubt would be over-used this weekend.

    Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

  18. #18
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    Trail 400 is okay except for some blowdown

    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    I am wondering the same thing, did some great riding last weekend and hoping for a repeat this weekend. I think Sunday will be the best bet if Sat. warms up and the white stuff above 500ft. starts melting quickly.
    I might give it a shot tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm going to the gym. Not sure yet. A frightful winter for riding.

    Jaybo

  19. #19
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I might give it a shot tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm going to the gym. Not sure yet. A frightful winter for riding.

    Jaybo

    We'll be out at Whypass at 10am, riding in the rain, snow or whatever we find.
    You're welcome to join us!!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  20. #20
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    I really would like to...

    I plan on coming down there this year and riding with the locals. I have to drive to Olympia today for a week long training. Freakin' UGH! However, post when you guys are going to ride...I could bring some other guys. Might be a jolly old time.

    Jaybo

    By the way, I almost pulled the trigger on a funky HT I saw at River City Bikes in Portland yesterday. It is a fully rigid bike with gears in the back and a single ring in the front. A Gary Fisher somethingoranother. It looked to have a great alloy frame and a mix of SRAM and Shimano. It was only $540 after the 10% off. It looks to be a great mucky winter bike.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 03-12-2006 at 08:17 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I might give it a shot tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm going to the gym. Not sure yet. A frightful winter for riding.

    Jaybo
    Hey Jay,

    I have been battling a nasty cold over past few days, but I am motivated by the sun peaking out and thinking about heading over to Powell Butte for a easy late day/early night ride for about 45min-1hr. If you want to ride there sometime, you can borrow my handlbar light, pretty cool place for night riding.

    Late, jon.

    So, what did you think of Three Corner last weekend?

  22. #22
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,472

    Cool ride

    I enjoyed Three Corner's Rock. Nice ride. When I'm in better shape, I want to ride to the top.

    I didn't ride on Sunday. I woke up to a sick Golden Retriever. It ended up spending the day at the vet. She had a her spleen removed due to a mass on it. It was only 2k plus any other tx she needs. I hope she is going to be okay. Cindy is picking her up tonight. I'm actually in Seattle on business.

    Next weekend would be good. I have a buddy who might want to join us.

    Jaybo

    PS Powell sounds good. I have lights but I recently dropped the battery on the pavement. It blew up all over the garage. That sucked.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I enjoyed Three Corner's Rock. Nice ride. When I'm in better shape, I want to ride to the top.

    I didn't ride on Sunday. I woke up to a sick Golden Retriever. It ended up spending the day at the vet. She had a her spleen removed due to a mass on it. It was only 2k plus any other tx she needs. I hope she is going to be okay. Cindy is picking her up tonight. I'm actually in Seattle on business.

    Next weekend would be good. I have a buddy who might want to join us.

    Jaybo

    PS Powell sounds good. I have lights but I recently dropped the battery on the pavement. It blew up all over the garage. That sucked.
    Let's hope some of the white stuff melts by next weekend, or Gorge trail or Powell would be the only SK to ride in the area. I am down for a Sat. and/or Sunday ride this coming weekend especially sitting on my butt all of last weekend nursing this cold. Give me a buzz Friday night or Sat. morning. Sorry to hear about your's or Cindy's dog, hope she is doind fine, Retrievers are great dogs,

    Late, jon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •