GEAUX TIGERS!!!

well drained trails

I admit it, I've been lazy the last month, so I haven't bee riding. Mostly laziness and watching college football on weekends. But I'm excited about getting back into it after this month of steady laziness.

From last year's wet season I found that the WIlson River Trail and 3 Corner Rock drains pretty well. I might go ride one of these this weekend but what are some other ones?

I've heard Syncline is decent. Can we still actually ride there?

meatier showers
    Whypass is ridin' real nice right about now. We're headed out there at noon on Saturday for a fun spin. You're welcome to join us.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

I got nothin'

Wilson River Trail

Hagen,

I'm thinking that the Wilson River Trail is probably a mess after the storm earlier this week. Over 13" of rain fell at Lees Camp. Last year the same magnitude storm hit in late November and it took until the spring to clean everything up.

The Scapoose trails might be doing well if you allow a few days for them to dry out.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Tree Hugger
    I wouldn't call Whypass "well drained" but it's OK to ride there year round. We had a great group ride last night, and I'll be joining Sparticus out there Saturday again.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Siouxon Creek drains well and it's a good ride for people who have been sitting around watching college football on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Where?

Sasquatch,

A friend and I have been Jonesin' for some good singletrack in decent condition, and I've been wanting to check out Whypass for some time now. Problem is, we're from the coast and can't ride until Sunday. Though mutual friends of ours have been there with you guys, they've since moved to Canada and Washington. Who can I bribe for directions/riding recommendations?

dhernanlaw

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by dhernanlaw
    Sasquatch,

dhernanlaw
    I'm not Sas, but I'll pipe up on his behalf. (He's not piping up much these days anyway.)

I could email directions to Whypass directly to you but there would be a problem. And that problem is the trail network at Whypass was specifically designed to be confusing and obscure. The central [paved] road through the middle of the network has limited trail access points and they're staggered so that once you pop out of one trail you don't know which side of the road or which direction to go or how far to go to look for the next entry point. Not to mention there are many [gravel] spur roads on which the trails do similar hide-&-seek tricks.

What I'm saying is that you'd probably get frustrated or lost or both plus certainly miss some of the best [well hidden] trails.

I highly recommend you get somebody to meet you at the staging area to show you around Whypass.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Tree Hugger
    Better yet, come out to the 4th annual All Comer's Meat, occurring on Jan 19, 2008. You'll get a guided tour, enjoy good beer, and meet lotsa fun MTB party people. If you want to ride Whypass before the ACM4, sign up with the DOD's yahoogroups page (link in my signature, and Sparty's too), and join up with some locals. I'll be there Saturday, but I would bet there's folks going out there Sunday, and if not, there should be people there almost every weekend day through the end of March, willing to give you a tour.

I'm guessing yer friends with Milt, and Dan G and Janna? They came to the first 2 ACM rides, and partied down. We miss them!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member

Acm!!!

I'll be back!

Milt
    (Haven't missed one yet!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Between a rock and a hard place

Sasquatch and Sparticus:

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm stuck in a situation where I don't know if/when my buddy will be available on Sunday, and he's my ride on that day. I'm thinking we could probably make it there by noon, but I can't commit to anything yet. If anybody is planning on riding Whypass on Sunday already, please let me know when and where (with directions) they're meeting and I'll do my damnedest to show. Sparticus, if you wouldn't mind, please email directions to where you're meeting tomorrow at noon. My email is dhernanlaw@verizon.net. I'll be in Eugene Christmas shopping with my wife and there's a slight chance I may be able to escape for the Saturday ride. Have a great ride if I don't see you there.

David

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by dhernanlaw
    Sasquatch and Sparticus:

... I'll be in Eugene Christmas shopping with my wife ... and there's a slight chance I may be able to escape for the Saturday ride. Have a great ride if I don't see you there.

David
    David, I emailed directions to you last night. Coincidentally Whypass is right on your way to Eugene. You can have your wife drop you off on her way to Eugene to shop, then pick you up on her way back home.

I'm a genius. Don't thank me.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.