mtbr member
    Apr 2006

A week in Oregon, where to camp and ride

I found out work will be sending me near Lincoln City from October 4-7. I decided to take the following week off to enjoy some camping and riding in the area. I had planned on staying in Bend for most of the time, but I heard some rumors that most of the campgrounds are closed in October. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I really want to check out both Sandy Ridge and Black Rock as I have never been to either one. And as I have never been to Bend, I also want to explore there for a while. But I really have no idea on where to camp. Worst case scenario, I'm not above sleeping in my car.

If anyone has any suggestions on other places, or especially any campgrounds to stay at, please let me know.

Thanks
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who know binary and those who don't

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

A few options..

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitoman View Post
    I found out work will be sending me near Lincoln City from October 4-7. I decided to take the following week off to enjoy some camping and riding in the area. I had planned on staying in Bend for most of the time, but I heard some rumors that most of the campgrounds are closed in October. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I really want to check out both Sandy Ridge and Black Rock as I have never been to either one. And as I have never been to Bend, I also want to explore there for a while. But I really have no idea on where to camp. Worst case scenario, I'm not above sleeping in my car.

If anyone has any suggestions on other places, or especially any campgrounds to stay at, please let me know.

Thanks
    If you really wanted to "Camp" I would recommend heading down to Oakridge and finding a nice primitive camping spot. I think the camp grounds are closed in October also.

You can camp in Bend right outside of town. We did this, and our camping spot ended up right next to one of the trails. It was nice to be able to ride from camp and be able to get to any trail in the bend area via single track, and end our ride right back in camp. But the big downside was there is a fire restriction right now, and it was pretty chilly. So once evening started coming around you didn't want to hang out at camp. But the easy remedy was, go to McMenamins and pay 5 bucks to soak in there soaking pool.

McMenamins - Old St. Francis School Soaking Pool

You have to shower before you get in it, so you get a shower and a nice relaxing soak after a long ride. You can spend the rest of your evening chilling in one of there bars, or walk from there to the many other night life options in town.

Both Oakridge and Bend have a weeks worth of riding. Bend is dry, with a lot of fun features all over the place, while Oakridge is coastal feeling with nice tacky dirt and lots of roots. I prefer Oakridge.
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    We always stay at Lapine State campground when we come over each year for a week of riding in Bend. Granted, it is a 30 minute drive South on Hwy 97 to the campground, but it is a very nice place to stay with 20+ miles of single track right there at the campground. They are also open year round.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

The campground is also within 30 minutes of the Newberry Crater/Paulina Peak ride as well.

Singletrack Addict
    If you want to hit Sandy Ridge, Black Rock and Bend and Oakridge, plan on doing a lot of driving.

If you plan on seeking primitive (i.e. un-developed, non-commercial, non-sanctioned with no amenities, pack it in/pack it out) spots, plan on extra time to explore your options and you will find a place to dirt camp.

If I had that week in early October I would take my chances on the high country. Get the last of it while the gettin's good. Might get chased off the mountain, but then you'll still have options lower down. Either Bend or Oakridge can provide the goods. Bend if you want more of a night life. Oakridge if you want more change in elevation and rustic vibes.

Don't rule out Hood River and the high country around Mt Hood. If we get some more rain, the dry side off of Rd 44 will have some epic conditions until we get "too much" rain. Seek these trails if Sandy Ridge is on the must-do. BTW, Sandy Ridge should be on the must-do list. Look for trails like Knebal Springs, Surveyor's Ridge, #450 (Lookout Mountain), Fifteenmile Creek (my personal favorite) and Eightmile Creek.

And since we're discussing the high country and your penchant for long drives, the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in southwest Washington has some epic riding around Mt St Helens. Trails like Ape Canyon, Smith Creek, Lewis River, Falls Creek and The Boundary Trail can easily provide a week's worth of exploration.

Enjoy your visit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Mt. Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    Don't rule out Hood River and the high country around Mt Hood. If we get some more rain, the dry side off of Rd 44 will have some epic conditions until we get "too much" rain. Seek these trails if Sandy Ridge is on the must-do. BTW, Sandy Ridge should be on the must-do list. Look for trails like Knebal Springs, Surveyor's Ridge, #450 (Lookout Mountain), Fifteenmile Creek (my personal favorite) and Eightmile Creek.
    This is an excellent recommendation. Enough trails to keep you occupied for a week, and you would be a very short distance from Sandy Ridge to the west and Post Canyon up north. Even though the trails are very dusty, they are still fun. Most of them aren't abused like a lot of the bend trails that have a foot deep brake bumps on the slightest turn.

Plus in October, camping down lower on Highway 35 would probably be a good option.
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare