let's ride
    Oct 2012

Want More Single Track in Central Oregon? Tell the USFS

ACTION ALERT: USFS Proposes New Trails, Comments Requested

The COTA Board of Directors has officially submitted our comments regarding the Proposed Welcome Station Trail Connections Project. We strongly encourage our members and friends to submit their own opinions on this proposal. You may use the points COTA has expressed, or use your own. Comments are due by March 4, and must be electronically submitted to:

comments-pacificnorthwest-deschutes-...rock@fs.fed.us

For more information:

USFS proposes new trails, comments requested
    live to ride, ride to party.

mtbr member
    Specifically - voice your concern for keeping COD an ADVANCED trail. Any new trails should be new and we can't afford to dumb down COD, etc in order to create easy trails for newbies.

let's ride
    Oct 2012
    or the need for "Catch & Release" to complete the wanoga loop...lots of good stuff in the proposed new trails. please tell the usfs so they know our needs...

it means 'no problem'
    I approve this thread.

Please send comments by March 4!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Do you think the USFS will do the same thing with all of our comments and opinions that COTA did with the recent poll on trail head sign language? That is—completely ignore them?

mtbr member

Its not just about more trail...

Love it or hate it two things have/are happening thanks to the Forest Service (FS) in the vicinity of our COD trail and the FS 41/Conklin Rd/River Trail Rd area.

1. The Forest Service has secured funding for and will begin construction on a new Visitor/Welcome Center at the intersection of Cascade Lakes/FS41. It will include parking for 15 vehicles in addition to the parking already available on the south side of Cascade Lakes Hwy.
    2. Last fall with the repaving of Cascade Lakes Highway a pedestrian/cyclist tunnel was built crossing under the highway at FS 41.

The result of these two additions by the FS means that area is becoming a significant trailhead. In their project description they refer to the Welcome Station as a trailhead. It is going to attract and increase rider use of all levels. We on the Board of COTA are very concerned about the impacts this change in the use patterns will have on one of our very few “Most Difficult” trails. Whether you seek out advanced technical trails or are looking for more trails suitable to all levels – this project should be of significant concern to you.

The FS is seeking comments on their proposal for trails in the area. The COTA board is asking you to voice your support for the following aspects of this proposal.

#1 – Catch and Release Trail: This proposed route will follow the west side of FS 41. It will connect the lower/east side of the entire Wanoga Network (Tyler’s Traverse and Storm King). This will allow loops and point to point rides without the use of an already very busy River Trail or pavement.

#2 - Green Trails: COTA has proposed a system of stacked-loop trails linking the Welcome Station to the rest of Phil’s. However, the mileage “Easiest” trails in this Proposed Action by the FS is insufficient to meet anticipated future needs. The key is that these trails provide a loop for riders of all levels and allows them to avoid the “Most Difficult” COD.

#3 – Additions to COD. Proposed action allows for redirecting portions of the existing trail into under-utilized challenging terrain. This would make COD more consistent and provide continued challenges.

Your comments to COTA and the FS do matter.
    Last edited by SeenYour Crash; 02-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.

let's ride
    Oct 2012
    "Do you think the USFS will do the same thing with all of our comments and opinions that COTA did with the recent poll on trail head sign language? That is—completely ignore them?"

don't know...what i do know is the usfs won't know your opinion unless you submit a letter.

mtbr member
    A sample letter....you can simply email to: comments-pacificnorthwest-deschutes-bend-ftrock(at)fs.fed.us

Dear Ranger Kevin Larkin,

I am a mountain biker and user of the mountain bike trails in the Deschutes National Forest. In regards to Welcome Station Trail Connections proposal:

#1 I support the proposed Catch and Release trail as outlined in the Proposed Action. I am looking forward to a continuous singletrack trail on the west side of FS 41 connecting Tyler’s Traverse to the Welcome Station.

#2 I support COTA’s proposal for additional beginner trails linking the Welcome Station to the rest of the West Bend Trail System. These additional trails are necessary to handle the increased numbers and all levels of users that will be attracted to this new trailhead. The Proposed Action does not provide the mileage of beginner trails that would be sufficient to meet anticipated future needs.

#3 I support COTA’s proposal to improve COD trail as a “Most Difficult” trail adding additional challenging terrain for those users that seek it out. I do not want COD to be the primary trail accessed at the Welcome Station. Access to “most difficult” trails (specifically COD) should be minimized and clearly marked, as these types of trails need to be both preserved and enhanced.

Sincerely,

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash View Post
    A sample letter....you can simply email to: comments-pacificnorthwest-deschutes-bend-ftrock(at)fs.fed.us

Dear Ranger Kevin Larkin,

I am a mountain biker and user of the mountain bike trails in the Deschutes National Forest. In regards to Welcome Station Trail Connections proposal:

#1 I support the proposed Catch and Release trail as outlined in the Proposed Action. I am looking forward to a continuous singletrack trail on the west side of FS 41 connecting Tyler’s Traverse to the Welcome Station.

#2 I support COTA’s proposal for additional beginner trails linking the Welcome Station to the rest of the West Bend Trail System. These additional trails are necessary to handle the increased numbers and all levels of users that will be attracted to this new trailhead. The Proposed Action does not provide the mileage of beginner trails that would be sufficient to meet anticipated future needs.

#3 I support COTA’s proposal to improve COD trail as a “Most Difficult” trail adding additional challenging terrain for those users that seek it out. I do not want COD to be the primary trail accessed at the Welcome Station. Access to “most difficult” trails (specifically COD) should be minimized and clearly marked, as these types of trails need to be both preserved and enhanced.

Sincerely,
    Thanks Crash. Perfect.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    I just don't believe COD will be "dumbed down" at all, no chance. I think reroute#4, bypassing current section 5c, will be fine, quite possibly an upgrade. The rest of the new trails are just gravy! Can't wait to check out #2a.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I just don't believe COD will be "dumbed down" at all, no chance. I think reroute#4, bypassing current section 5c, will be fine, quite possibly an upgrade. The rest of the new trails are just gravy! Can't wait to check out #2a.
    A little clarification, then.

5c is already an "Easier" trail. We suggested to keep it so that it connects the junction at ELV to the proposed Easier trail 3b heading West.
    4 is proposed new section of COD.
    3d is new Easier trail to connect to 3c
    What is NOT needed is the small "connection" across the middle (3c -> 3d) across 4. That unnecessarily adds two junctions. The only junction needed there already exists at ELV.
    Yes, the trails will be close on the map, but they are not close on the ground. This is best so that beginners don't enter COD by accident.

About your other point on COD being "dumbed down" - we see it all the time and we are trying to take a proactive stance this time. There is a good chance of this happening if we make it easier for beginner riders to enter advanced trails. I totally disagree there is "no chance". Wouldn't you agree that "most difficult" trails are very rare in central Oregon? It requires work to preserve these.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    About your other point on COD being "dumbed down" - we see it all the time and we are trying to take a proactive stance this time. There is a good chance of this happening if we make it easier for beginner riders to enter advanced trails. I totally disagree there is "no chance". Wouldn't you agree that "most difficult" trails are very rare in central Oregon? It requires work to preserve these.
    I guess I meant the reroute will not be a "dumbing down" in and of itself (at least I hope not); but yes, when more newbies are exposed to COD, there is a good chance some (not all) of them will try to remove/alter technical sections as we've seen on so many other trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Letter sent. Thanks for the heads up.
    Bend, OR

let's ride
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kimm2222 View Post
    Do you think the USFS will do the same thing with all of our comments and opinions that COTA did with the recent poll on trail head sign language? That is—completely ignore them?
    did you submitt your letter to the usfs?