mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wanna help with trails in town at Rocky Butte, Portland

I have been scouting out the area and there are a lot of cool trails in there already, I would like to see if others would like to build a fun area and connect what is there to make it even better.

mtbr member
    There is some nice terrain around Rocky Butte. I've thought about scratching in a few trails to connect what is already there, it wouldn't take much. We could have some serious get your ass behind the saddle type of trails. It is a city park though, they would probably hang you if you got caught. The irony is the homeless shit and piss everywhere and leave their trash for everyone else to deal with. But no, we can't build trails.

I think the long term plan for Gateway Green includes trails at Rocky Butte. This is probably years down the road though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was out there again and rode up to the top of Rocky Butte and looked at all the trails off the road. There are quite a few just past the Bible college. I did not see any homeless people in there but lots of trash. My most interesting discover was the trail at the end of Sacramento st. It looked the most promising to build a loop back around to the end of Skidmore. I'm going to keep looking and hope some others would like to help. I don't think the city would care if we ride there as lots of people rock climb and hike there.

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    There is some nice terrain around Rocky Butte. I've thought about scratching in a few trails to connect what is already there, it wouldn't take much. We could have some serious get your ass behind the saddle type of trails. It is a city park though, they would probably hang you if you got caught. The irony is the homeless shit and piss everywhere and leave their trash for everyone else to deal with. But no, we can't build trails.

I think the long term plan for Gateway Green includes trails at Rocky Butte. This is probably years down the road though.
    Hopefully many of us included trails there in our comments to the ORCMP. I would still advise contacting that group with your thoughts, tsingle.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for that link. I'll get in touch to see if this area is included. Any other goods links to local in town trails or groups?