Thread: Wallowa Lake

mtbr member

Wallowa Lake

Has anyone ever rode the trails out at Wallowa Lake. We're headding there this summer for a big camping trip and was wondering what the trails are like.

mtbr member
    Somebody has got to have been out there on a bike. Any takers.....? If not I'll let you know when I get back.

http://www.wallowalaketramway.com/bike.htm

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Somebody has got to have been out there on a bike. Any takers.....? If not I'll let you know when I get back.

http://www.wallowalaketramway.com/bike.htm

Looks neato. I bet me and marge could drive mildred the rv out for some good times and camp fires.
    give the kids a couple shillings to ride them go karts.

Don't know about the riding out there. The Wallowa Mountains are spectacular, but mostly designated wilderness area ( a good thing) and off-limits to Mtn Biking. But, sure as sh!t, there's got to be something out there; lotsa country and ain't all of it designated.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the cocky answer. I know what type of vacation area it is, thats why we are going there. Hard core Mtn bike vacations dont sit well with the whole family. Just looking to see if anyone has rode the trails out there or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Thanks for the cocky answer. I know what type of vacation area it is, thats why we are going there. Hard core Mtn bike vacations dont sit well with the whole family. Just looking to see if anyone has rode the trails out there or not.
    I know there are trails outside of Eagle Cap Wilderness of the Wallowas that offer good views of the area without being in the wildnerness. I haven't had the opportunity to ride out that way, but it is on my list. Rides that come to mind in the area are:

Mt. Fanny Trail #6220 (34mi from La Grande)

Wagon Road Trail (16mi from Joseph) - the closest trail to where you will be, 10mile ride with mixed sk, dk, and paved road.

Western Rim, Windy Ridge, Imnaha River Trail (65mi from Enterprise in Hells Canyon Rec area)

Twin Lakes loop, Anthony Lakes, South/North Shore Trail, Indian Rock (15-35mi from Baker City)

And to Mr. Muse, who mentioned his agreeance of segregating wilderness areas not to be used by mt. bikes, but open for horses to chew up trail and crap things up, see how happy you will be if we lose the Dog River area trails to such a bogus act as the Mt. Hood Wilderness Act in the near future. Will not be a good thing for the mt. bike community at all, especially those in the Portland, and Hood River areas.

Singletrack Addict
    I'm not saying I agree with the rules that allow horses but ban bikes, but those are the rules. As far as the Mt Hood Wilderness Proposal, I've signed petitions and written to my congressmen. There are provisions afoot that hopefullly will make concessions for the trails we like to ride if this proposal actually goes through. We may lose some trails, but because of advocacy this proposal does not have nearly the amount of potential closures as the original.
    And their lies the dilemna: as mountain bikers we are outdoors enthusiasts and should embrace the protection of wild lands, but not to the exclusion of the activity that takes us there.

jmac, sorry about coming across as cocky. The second paragraph, I thought contained my real answer: I don't know about any riding there, but having been there I know it to be kind of a touristy "Summer Camp" and Wallowa Lake itself is nestled up against the wilderness. It is just the kind of place my wife would rather go with the kids than most of the places I suggest for family getaways. It is a beautiful area and I'm sure you will find something to ride, sorry I didn't have all the answers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    I'm not saying I agree with the rules that allow horses but ban bikes, but those are the rules. As far as the Mt Hood Wilderness Proposal, I've signed petitions and written to my congressmen. There are provisions afoot that hopefullly will make concessions for the trails we like to ride if this proposal actually goes through. We may lose some trails, but because of advocacy this proposal does not have nearly the amount of potential closures as the original.
    And their lies the dilemna: as mountain bikers we are outdoors enthusiasts and should embrace the protection of wild lands, but not to the exclusion of the activity that takes us there.

jmac, sorry about coming across as cocky. The second paragraph, I thought contained my real answer: I don't know about any riding there, but having been there I know it to be kind of a touristy "Summer Camp" and Wallowa Lake itself is nestled up against the wilderness. It is just the kind of place my wife would rather go with the kids than most of the places I suggest for family getaways. It is a beautiful area and I'm sure you will find something to ride, sorry I didn't have all the answers.
    Fair enough, not to pin you down I am just a little opinionated right now about wilderness proposals that plan on taking on new wilderness areas that posses trails that are currently maintained and utilized by the mt. bike community and it sounds like you are as well. The FR Rd. 44 trails would be a huge loss in my opinion, even if they trade the area off with accessiblity to other areas. So this is a different issue then uplifting the laws on currently established and protected wildnerness areas to let bikers in.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

try these for that area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/ wallowa whitman NF (best bet)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/uma/ umatilla NF
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

What day are we riding?
    Heading out there myself in July.

I am looking here -

http://www.fs.fed.us/hellscanyon/toc.htm