Thread: Waldo status

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Waldo status

I realize that it may be a bit soon for waldo. But i was wondering if anybody has been up ther lately. With all this heat i thought i may get up to waldo early this year and then enjoy a swim after the ride. Planning for this Saturday or Sunday. Any feedback would be great. How is the snow? How is blow down? How are the mosquitos? Thanks in advance

Afric Pepperbird
    I was just about to post this very same question!

I was planning on taking a bath in DEET and heading up there soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Man, Waldo is usually a September thing for me. As soon as the snow melts the skeeter swarms will either pick you up and carry you away or drain you of your precious bodily fluids before you get half way round until that first evening freeze in the fall happens!

mtbr member
    I'll bet it's pretty close to being open. It's only 300 ft higher than willamette pass, and I was just down at WP 2 days ago. Not a sign of snow anywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend of mine asked me this same question 2 weeks ago, and I had him call the Middle Fork Ranger district. The ranger told him that there was still a lot of snow down on the south end of the lake and lots of blow-down on the trail. The ranger said that trail clearing wouldn't begin until around the 4th of July.

With all the hot weather we've had, the snow is probably gone by now, but not the blowdown.

Waldo is an awesome ride, but I made the mistake of riding it too early in the season about 10 years ago. Heading north along the west side of the lake (riding CW) we ran into two hikers that had the most ungodly swarm of mosquitos around them. They transferred a healthy raction of their swarm onto our group just as we started to hit a section of blowdown where we couldn't outrun them (the skeeters not the hikers).

It was hike-a-bike for the next 3 or 4 miles with literally hundreds of downed trees to cross, all spaced out to where it wasn't even worth getting back on the bike between them all the while being tormented by mosquitos.

Not one of my better ride experiences for sure. I learned my lesson, and will never ride Waldo again without solid intel saying it's good to go.

Waldo is a great August-September ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A friend of mine went up to Fuji today and said there is about one million trees down across the trail.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmarni View Post
    I realize that it may be a bit soon for waldo. But i was wondering if anybody has been up ther lately. With all this heat i thought i may get up to waldo early this year and then enjoy a swim after the ride. Planning for this Saturday or Sunday. Any feedback would be great. How is the snow? How is blow down? How are the mosquitos? Thanks in advance
    A report from today via Facebook. Blowdown every 50 feet. Lots of hungry skeeters.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    oh yeah. trees. damn

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it will have to wait for fall.