Dirtmistress

New question here. Waldo Lake and Twins Something or Other

I'll be in the Waldo lake area in mid September. I did it 3 years ago and it was a blast. We ended up riding through the burnt forest first.
    This time we will go the opposite direction. Is there a preferred direction?

I've also seen some people mentioning Waldo lake and "Twins" but I'm not sure what that is. Googling doesn't bring up much information on it.
    Can someone tell me the 411 on that route? Fun and worth it? Brutal but fun? Fun and not brutal? Brutal and then brutal?
    One last question, for Waldo lake, parking is at the boat ramp right? I got lost last time going there.
    Thanks
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    I'll be in the Waldo lake area in mid September. I did it 3 years ago and it was a blast. We ended up riding through the burnt forest first.
    This time we will go the opposite direction. Is there a preferred direction?

I've also seen some people mentioning Waldo lake and "Twins" but I'm not sure what that is. Googling doesn't bring up much information on it.
    Can someone tell me the 411 on that route? Fun and worth it? Brutal but fun? Fun and not brutal? Brutal and then brutal?
    One last question, for Waldo lake, parking is at the boat ramp right? I got lost last time going there.
    Thanks

I much prefer riding counterclockwise, starting from North Waldo Campground. That way it's mostly all rideable, save for a couple gnarly technical downhills, which beats gnarly technical pushing-your-bike-uphill. I've added the Twins only once, and felt it did not add much, other than making me a bit more drained. I usually skip that section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I much prefer riding counterclockwise, starting from North Waldo Campground. That way it's mostly all rideable, save for a couple gnarly technical downhills, which beats gnarly technical pushing-your-bike-uphill. I've added the Twins only once, and felt it did not add much, other than making me a bit more drained. I usually skip that section.
    What does it cost to get in Waldo? Is there a toll booth on the drive in or is it self-pay?

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    What does it cost to get in Waldo? Is there a toll booth on the drive in or is it self-pay?
    Mike. Waldo is a Forest Service Campground and overnight stays for tent camp spots are $20. a night. Waldo sits at 5,400 FT elevation. The ride around the lake is pretty cool and not very difficult. If you want to expand out a bit, riding the Twins from North Waldo Campground is a good ride!

I'm driving up tomorrow with Charlie (Saturday) and get me some of that nice single track!

There are a couple trail heads on the way in before you get to the campgrounds that you can start your ride from if you are just doing a day trip. Not sure if they require a recreation pass or permit to park for the day.

Waldo day use fee per vehicle is $5.00 We have done a day trips out of Oakridge before without a hitch.

Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Personally, I prefer parking at Shadow Bay and riding clockwise. Only one short rocky up to push, everything else is ridable and fun. Plus you finish with a nice fast downhill to Shadow Bay.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    Mike. Waldo is a Forest Service Campground and overnight stays for tent camp spots are $20. a night. Waldo sits at 5,400 FT elevation. The ride around the lake is pretty cool and not very difficult. If you want to expand out a bit, riding the Twins from North Waldo Campground is a good ride!

I'm driving up tomorrow with Charlie (Saturday) and get me some of that nice single track!

There are a couple trail heads on the way in before you get to the campgrounds that you can start your ride from if you are just doing a day trip. Not sure if they require a recreation pass or permit to park for the day.

Waldo day use fee per vehicle is $5.00 We have done a day trips out of Oakridge before without a hitch.

Tone~
    Thanks Tony. I know you and Charlie Hotwheels like to ride fast so try not to tear the place apart - leave some dirt for the rest of us.

Dirtmistress
    Glad I was able to hook you guys up. Now would someone mind telling me about Twins? Does it add much mileage? Do Waldo first or Twins first or the opposite? Is the trailhead signed? Can you point me to a map or w site that explains it?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?

mtbr member
    Never done it, but I think you're talking about the Waldo-Twins-Charlton Loop. There is a decent map here (scroll down below where it talks about the main Waldo trail):

Waldo Lake Mountain Biking and Hiking Trail #3590

Dirtmistress
    Thanks!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had been planning to go to the Steens this weekend for a family camping trip, but considering re-directing to Waldo. Never been there. Anyone know much about camping there? Are there good waterfront tent camping spots? Is it likely to be hard to get a good tent spot on the water on Thursday evening?

I'll be doing some rides with my kids, 10-yo son is very capable of significant rides, and is really improving on technical stuff, but I'm easing my 8-yo daughter into it (she loves it so far, but I don't want to stress her at this point with rock gardens). Any suggestions for where to camp and direction to start riding would be very much appreciated.

I'm also considering going to either Hosmer or one of the Lava Lakes, as they offer better fishing, but the biking sounds to be much better at Waldo.

Thanks

Afric Pepperbird
    The lake is gorgeous, and there should be plenty of spots now that it's post Labor Day.

I can only speak for the North Waldo campground, as I've only stayed there, but there are some really close to the shore (see sites 27-29 here). But all the campsites are fine.

The entire lake would be truly brutal for your daughter, and perhaps your son. But small sections from camp would be fine. Do a search here for "Waldo clockwise" and you'll find many opinions on which direction to take. I have only done it counterclockwise, but others swear by clockwise.

Here are the maps for the Shadow Bay campground, and the Islet campground.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Be forewarned: someone I know went up to Waldo on Friday and came home with multiple yellowjacket stings. She said they were pretty thick up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Be forewarned: someone I know went up to Waldo on Friday and came home with multiple yellowjacket stings. She said they were pretty thick up there.
    Crap. That is the one big thing I was hoping to avoid. My daughter is paranoid about the damned things, and my wife had to visit the ER a couple weeks ago with a sting issue that would not go away. I don't know that there is any way to avoid them, however. I think the damned things are everywhere. Maybe we will end up going over to the Steens. I got my ass stung over there last year (actually my dog and I stumbled into an in-ground hive and got multiple stings), but they weren't yellow jackets, and I don't remember actually seeing yellow jackets over there.

Thanks for the warning.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

singletrack bound
    I was up there last Saturday and N. Waldo Campground was darn near full. We found a small site (36) and we went back to the camp host "Ken" and talked to him for a bit and he upgraded us to a multi-group site (51) looking over the lake. That was on the week end so it was pretty busy. I would think during the week it would be a tad slower as far as campground sites go. Cool at nights but beautiful during the day.We did the twins from the campground and it was a great ride, for the record, we didn't see any bee's or yellow jackets during our stay up there.
    Remember, this coming Saturday is the Fat 55 bike race in Oakridge and people will be coming in from all around so Waldo might get hit during this time.
    I am currently up in Seattle visiting my daughter and our new granddaughter and then around Thursday the wife and I will be heading back to either Oakridge or maybe the Umpqua for a couple days on our way home.

ride on.......

Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the update. Maybe the yellow jackets are spotty up there, with bad areas (hopefully not at our campground). Also, hopefully if we go up on Thursday afternoon, we can beat the new arrivals for the Fat 55.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thinking about, as an alternative, Little Cultus for camping, fishing, and riding (Lemish Charlton Trail, Deer Lake Trail, etc.). Anyone have comments comparing Little Cultus to Waldo for those features?

Thanks again,

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    Thinking about, as an alternative, Little Cultus for camping, fishing, and riding (Lemish Charlton Trail, Deer Lake Trail, etc.). Anyone have comments comparing Little Cultus to Waldo for those features?

Thanks again,
    I camp and ride there once a year; did so three weeks ago. The Charlton-Lemish Loop is a very good trail, IMO. Waldo is considered more "epic" by most, but they are about the same to me. While one rarely sees Waldo Lake while riding there, except for a couple of nice viewpoints, the ride around Charlton Lake is very scenic. And the descent down Clover Meadow Trail is great and flow-y.

The Little Cultus Lake campground is very fine. I always try to get a site in the furthest of the three loops, but usually they are full and I stay in the middle loop. I'd avoid the first loop, where the older RV crowd likes to stay.

I've never fished Charlton, but I hear there are nice Brookies in there, which is more than can be said for Waldo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I camp and ride there once a year; did so three weeks ago. The Charlton-Lemish Loop is a very good trail, IMO. Waldo is considered more "epic" by most, but they are about the same to me. While one rarely sees Waldo Lake while riding there, except for a couple of nice viewpoints, the ride around Charlton Lake is very scenic. And the descent down Clover Meadow Trail is great and flow-y.

The Little Cultus Lake campground is very fine. I always try to get a site in the furthest of the three loops, but usually they are full and I stay in the middle loop. I'd avoid the first loop, where the older RV crowd likes to stay.

I've never fished Charlton, but I hear there are nice Brookies in there, which is more than can be said for Waldo.
    Great, thanks. I'm hoping the crowd will be light (at least through Thursday, when we will be arriving/setting up), so we can get a nice waterfront site. With the race over in Oakridge (likely to fill up the campgrounds at Waldo), and what is likely better fishing at Little Cultus, I'm thinking that is where we will go. I also, generally, just like smaller campgrounds. May even try to see if there is a waterfront spot over at Hosmer or Little Lava, and focus on fishing more than biking.

Thanks again,

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I usually spend the entire week before Labor Day camping at Shadow Bay every year, as the mosquitoes are usually manageable by then. This year the mosquitoes were basically non-existent, but the bees and flies were much worse than in prior years.

Fortunately I never got stung (allergic), but I did get chased by what sounded like a hornet for at least a 1/4 mile coming down the Waldo Loop Trail from the north campgrounds to Shadow Bay. I ended up getting so tweaked out by the stupid bee that I lost focus on the trail and ended up going otb. No injuries, but I couldn't believe I did that, after almost completing the entire loop around the lake, half of which was standing up since the bolt holding my saddle onto the seat post sheared off.

A couple others in my group did suffer stings while in camp though, so beware. I've heard the bees are bad everywhere this year.

Dirtmistress
    Do you think bug spray would keep the yellow jackets away? Has anyone tried that? I'm in Whistler right now and there are quite a few here also.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    Do you think bug spray would keep the yellow jackets away? Has anyone tried that? I'm in Whistler right now and there are quite a few here also.
    The only issues I have had riding is when you ride through a hive, that is why I carry benadryl and an extractor sting kit. As far as at Waldo I have never been stung on the trail there. In camp the jackets can be an issue, just bring a few traps to scatter around camp and that helps keep them away from you.

There will be a group of us up there starting at the North campground area riding counter clockwise leaving at 11

mtbr member
    On your way to Waldo stop by the Mercantile in Oakridge and buy an adventure map of Oakridge area, it has all the Waldo area trails on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    We just got back from Waldo/Oakridge area.

Rode the loop trail clockwise from Shadow Bay. I did get stung by a wasp while riding on the trail. Otherwise I didn't think the insect situation was too bad.

We rode the twins trail opposite to most folks. We rode up the road from shadow bay to the Charlton Lake trail past the North Waldo campground. Charlton Lake was beautiful. The climb/push up to the Twins was pretty tough. We left our bikes at the saddle and scrambled on foot to the summit. The ride back down on the twins/road/Betty lake trail was fun. Way easier on a bike than skis.

On Friday we took advantage of having two cars and did the Alpine trail in West Fir. Big fun. I can see why it's so highly regarded.i

Great time in the old Cascades. Swimming in Waldo Lake is a real treat.

singletrack bound
    Waldo.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waldo Lake and Twins Something or Other-photo.jpg  

Waldo Lake and Twins Something or Other-photo-3-.jpg  

Waldo Lake and Twins Something or Other-photo-1-.jpg  

Waldo Lake and Twins Something or Other-photo-4-.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!