mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Waldo Lake Still Snow-Free?

Does anybody know if Waldo Lake is still snow-free?

Hoping to take a spin around it on Saturday.

Fingers crossed!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Does anybody know if Waldo Lake is still snow-free?

Hoping to take a spin around it on Saturday.

Fingers crossed!
    It should be mostly clear if not entirely snow free. You are running out of time, so go for it while you can!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Let us know if it's also bee free. There is a yellow jacket hive on an uphill section of trail if you are riding CCW direction. Recommend riding Clockwise.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You might want to give the Willamette Mercantile in Oakridge a call. Last I heard, about a week ago, there was 1-2" of snow, standing water and 20+ trees down at Waldo. Damn, the high country season was too short this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was there just over two weeks back and that "nest" was not a problem. I did not notice any... I was on the lookout too!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaplan View Post
    You might want to give the Willamette Mercantile in Oakridge a call. Last I heard, about a week ago, there was 1-2" of snow, standing water and 20+ trees down at Waldo. Damn, the high country season was too short this year.
    One of the DOD guys posted this on Tuesday: "One week ago several people rode Waldo and found a little snow and some muddy sections but it was rideable. With this weeks weather I would venture to guess this coming weekend would be almost perfect but also might be the last chance to ride this trail."

I may swing into the Merc on my way by tomorrow if anybody is there first thing. Either way, I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rode Waldo today. I'd give it a B-minus. Amazing scenery, amazing weather, no skeeters, but a bit on the damp side of things in the middle third, and about 20 windfalls, all but one of which were pretty easy to get over or around.

Given those conditions, I bailed on my normal second lap, and headed up the Charleton Lake Trail. Made it about 4 miles, then started riding over intermittent snow, so came back down.

Having ridden these trails for longer than I care to admit, I have to say that they are showing their age and general lack of maintenance. Every year the roots and rocks get a little taller, and a little more erosion damage creeps in. The scenery makes it more than worth it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Rode Waldo today. I'd give it a B-minus. Amazing scenery, amazing weather, no skeeters, but a bit on the damp side of things in the middle third, and about 20 windfalls, all but one of which were pretty easy to get over or around.

Given those conditions, I bailed on my normal second lap, and headed up the Charleton Lake Trail. Made it about 4 miles, then started riding over intermittent snow, so came back down.

Having ridden these trails for longer than I care to admit, I have to say that they are showing their age and general lack of maintenance. Every year the roots and rocks get a little taller, and a little more erosion damage creeps in. The scenery makes it more than worth it!
    I would of hit Fuji/Gold Lake trail and lower Maiden instead. Waldo is not that good and overated when trail is in good shape. Scenic Lake and area, but that is kind of it and is a magnet for peeps come summer time. Much better trails in the general area I think.
    Ride On!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I would of hit Fuji/Gold Lake trail and lower Maiden instead. Waldo is not that good and overated when trail is in good shape. Scenic Lake and area, but that is kind of it and is a magnet for peeps come summer time. Much better trails in the general area I think.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I've not hit those other areas, but Waldo is very mediocre, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I've not hit those other areas, but Waldo is very mediocre, IMO.
    That's how I feel about McKenzie as well, but others view it as an annual pilgramage and must do ride for some reason.

Sorry to derail thread and thanks for weather update in Waldo zone Kosmo. I was hoping to get that way last weekend on long weekend off for one last high country blaze to no avail. Glad you were able to make it down there before the ride season in the high country is done. I bet the scenery was superb!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Waldo is only so so for me as well. Kind of like the newberry crater rim trail.

But the McKenzie is amazing in my opinion. At least the first half. Second half not so much.

Love the technical challenges, massive old growth trees. Water falls, lakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Waldo appeals to me for a variety of reasons, including the amazing scenery, but also the fact that I can ride 20 miles without a climb that lasts over 2 minutes. This is SO different from every local and semi-local ride I have in the HR area.

Nevertheless, next year I plan to check out Fuji, etc.

Tomorrow, the Ochocos, for the first time!

mtbr member
    +1 for the Ochocos! I want to ride more there as well as Fremont! So many hidden gems around that are off the beaten path. Two weeks ago I rode from Paulina to Horse Butte, which had such a rustic, non maintained and "what mtb used to be like" feel. I really enjoyed it. This Fall continues to give us great riding weather!