mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Waldo Lake to Bunchgrass to Heckletooth

Has anyone hooked up these three rides in Oakridge? I know there is a small section of trail between Waldo and BG trailhead you would have to walk your bike, but would this be a crazy undertaking? I think it would be about 46 mile in total with 4400'' elevation gain and about 8500" lost.
    Thanks for any input,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That sounds like a sweet point to point ride and should be pretty doable. Bunchgrass ridge has some taxing climbing and rolling but i don't think there would be a lot of sustained climbing. If it was 4400 feet that's not bad at all... I'm down! if you want company, that is.

Walking the bike is the only thing that would be a drag. "Walking" might be more fun but frowned upon. Its weak that horses can go in and tear sh** up and dig post holes with their feet and crap everywhere but mtbs are taboooo.
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just measured the distance between Waldo trail and BG trailhead on the map and its about 4 miles of trail that does not allow bikes. THAT SUCKS.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by aarongoodwin
    I just measured the distance between Waldo trail and BG trailhead on the map and its about 4 miles of trail that does not allow bikes. THAT SUCKS.

If you start at Fuji Mtn, you can connect to the top of Bunchgrass on gravel roads. It would be your best option. From there, the trail starts rough (almost non-existent in spots) but as you approach Heckletooth, it gets better.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    There is people that do the length by going by illegally going through the Wilderness section. As Sas sais though you can start at Fuji and do it.

I have done it by starting at North Waldo, riding around the lake, up Fuji, down the gravel road towards the top for a short distance and then down Bunchgrass into Oakridge. It's a fun and a hard ride.

Enjoy.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for all of the beta. A group of us did BG/HT this weekend, and it was my first time. Next time a small detour over Fuji peak will be necessary.

BG was alright, and HT was the Sh*t, but the views were INCREDIBLE almost the whole way.