mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Visting Portland in June - suggestions for MTB tours?

Hi!

Me and the girlfriend are headed to Portland for a week during the summer (approx. 22nd - 28th of June), and she's already ok'ed me heading out a day or two for some riding, lucky me!

Anyways, I can find plenty of bike tours/rentals within Portland itself, but I'd rather like to find some sweet singletrack or trail riding instead. Coming all the way from Denmark, your terrain is basically everything ours is NOT (our tallest point is bridge btw... no, really)!

We wont' be renting a car, so I was hoping I could find a shop/service that was "all-inclusive": i.e. show up somewhere, rent bike and gear, and get shuttled somewhere awesome like McKenzie River, Mt. Hood, Sandy Ridge etc. etc. and home again... Possibly as part of a group with a guide, the more the merrier in my book.

Alternately, are there any good trails within a short bike ride of Portland? I'd of course rather spend time on dirt, than having to pedal for miles and miles to find something worth riding... Not that I need über-tech or super-gnar stuff, just nice, flowing, singletrack with some nice views...

Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks
    - Cheers, Daniel from Denmark.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey Denmark. Don't think you'll have any luck finding a tour out of Portland. The nearest good trails are about an hour drive. Your best bet may be Phat Tire Farm Fat Tire Farm, Portland, Oregon. The bike shop with the Northwest’s best selection of mountain bikes I know they rent and quasi do shuttles for local "club" riders. You would need to get yourself to Bend or Eugene (for MRT) in order to really find any shuttle or touring service. I would be happy to drive you out to some local trails if the timing works. Shoot me a pm when your 2 weeks or so out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey Big JC, that's a mighty fine offer, I will def' try to get in touch then.

- thanks for the info too, guess it was a bit of a long shot finding tours out of Portland like you said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Same here. I ride almost every weekend and always have room for more. Get in touch when you are close.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.