mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Visiting portland from VT

Hello,

I am going to be visiting portland from vermont for a few days the first weekend of Nov. I have been looking at pictures and videos from the oregon super D series and thoes trails look like my jam. Will sandy ridge be open the weekend of Nov 3rd? If so, where is a good place to rent a 5 or 6inch bike?

Any other places to recomend to ride? I like gnarly trails, but they have to have a flow to them.

Thanks and excited to check out the PNW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check out Black Rock for sure. Not 100% on the bike rental but fat tire farm is prolly your best bet.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You might want to take a trip up to Hood River and rent a bike up there. You could take that bad boy over to Syncline and enjoy the beauty and fun of the Gorge. It is so much drier and nicer then Sandy Ridge!!! November 3rd will be a cold mud bowel throughout most of the windward trails. Go east and enjoy the Cascade Rain Shadow...and the beauty of the the Gorge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry in advance, because this post won't help you one bit, but hopefully it gets something going so next time you visit you would be able to find a sticky like this:

[go to the Arizona regional board and see the Sticky: Sticky: VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice. (MTBreview doesn't let me post the link)

Oregon MTBers! How about it? It would be a great resource.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bike Gallery DT Portland is an option for a Bike Rental. Though I've never rented a bike from them - they seem to be good people. The DT location Mngr.'s name is Sakai - cool dude. I used to take my Rumblefish II there for occasional tunes. So obviously, they're a Trek dealer - as they're a decent size shop, they should have some good rental options. Hope this helps. Have fun!

I got nothin'
    Sandy Ridge should be open, but it might be wet. The trail is pretty armored up in the critical areas so you should be fine as long as you don't mind getting wet and muddy. Since your coming from VT, that shouldn't be an issue.

Hit up Fat Tire Farm for a rental. Good guys and a good selection of bikes. Google them for a list of available bikes.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sandy Ridge is rides very well when it's wet. Blackrock too. You're coming to the NW, I think it's a good experience to see what wet weather riding is like out here. Slipping over rocks and roots, watching the loam fly, rearranging the layer of pine needles in the corners, etc. Good times.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the info all.

I would love to ride blackrock, but I dont think the lady would let me drive down there and back on vacation. We have to do other touristy type stuff, i was able to weasle myself a few hours to ride!

I have no worries riding while it is wet, i just didnt want to destroy your beautiful trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    thanks for the info all.

I would love to ride blackrock, but I dont think the lady would let me drive down there and back on vacation. We have to do other touristy type stuff, i was able to weasle myself a few hours to ride!

I have no worries riding while it is wet, i just didnt want to destroy your beautiful trails.
    Riding wet trails on the west side of the cascades is generally not a big deal or frowned upon out here. We got a whole 6 weeks of dry weather this year. Enjoy sandy, it's a rad spot to ride for sure

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    HA, must be nice, we have to wait 24hours after .75inches of rain or we really screw stuff up

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I think the Hide and Seek Trail is eroding slowly over the years. It doesn't ride as good as it did just a couple years ago. I'm telling you, if you want some sun and drier trails head east young man