ol'guy who says hi &waves

Visiting Oregon in July

Mrs. Trog and I are planning an Oregon RV trip mid July. The Mrs doesn't ride much and doesn't like to be deserted much when I do. I know about MBO...not an option

1) I have negotiated an ultimate XC mtb one day ride. What should it be?

2) She's ok with a early morning rides if I'm back by 10AM. Please recommend some RV campgrounds that have XC trails adjacent in the central, southern and coastal areas.

Thanks in advance, Fred

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Middle Fork of the Willamette, just outside of Oakridge. You'll need a shuttle, so get ahold of these guys:

http://www.oregon-adventures.com/trails.asp

If ya want something more tame, ride the McKenzie River Trail.....

mtbr member
    WOW! That's tough an ultimate XC ride and you have to be home by 10am, I'm not sure it's doable. But if ya could use the whole day, then there's the MRT, The NUT, Waldo Lake, Alpine, Cape Mt. and Phil's Trails.

Good luck! My wife likes to keep me on a short leash but at least she gives me time to ride. Negociate more time brother, you'd hate to visit Oregon and miss some of the best riding in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    Mrs. Trog and I are planning an Oregon RV trip mid July. The Mrs doesn't ride much and doesn't like to be deserted much when I do. I know about MBO...not an option

2) She's ok with a early morning rides if I'm back by 10AM. Please recommend some RV campgrounds that have XC trails adjacent in the central, southern and coastal areas.

Thanks in advance, Fred
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are coming up through the south part of the state? Knowing more about the route you want to take would help out. My wife and I travel around Oregon througout the year with a 35' fiver, my wife rides but we also do more when we visit the areas we go to. Also how long of trip, in days, are you looking to do? do you want to go somewhere and stay for the entire time, or move around?

There are plenty of areas around Oregon you can head to, get 2-3hr rides in, plenty of epic rides, hiking, fishing, camping, shopping, sight seeing, etc...

I know it doesn't answer your question yet, but fill in some of the blanks and I'm sure we can provide some good options.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

ride the moment
    I suggest you plan your epic day around Oakridge. Plenty of BIG rides to choose from and you can easily work in a sick early morning jaunt the day before... or after... or both. The first couple times I went alone I just asked for suggestions at the bike shop in town (Willamette Mercantile). You might consider Waldo Lake for camping. Its about 30 miles from Oakridge and has nice car/RV camping. There is hiking , fishing, canoing, etc. Also, you can ride bikes on the trail around the perimeter of the lake which is pretty flat and well maintained so your wife might like it.

Oh yeah... coming up I-5 about 20 miles into OR is the town of Ashland. There is some pretty good riding on Mt. Ashland (which can be ridden to easily from downtown) and the town proper is pretty cool and full of all kinds of trinket shops. There's also some really good food there.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Nat
    Solo contendre
    What would you guys like to do after 10am when you've finished riding? Some of the places already mentioned are not very fancy (that's about the most polite way to put it that I could think of at the time).

mtbr member
    If you are going to be in the Hood River area, there are plenty of rides around that you could get done early to please your wife and they could almost be considered epic.

Also, if you plan to be around Portland the Tillamook State forest has some great ridding. Not really epic but really good.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    WOW! That's tough an ultimate XC ride and you have to be home by 10am, I'm not sure it's doable. But if ya could use the whole day, then there's the MRT, The NUT, Waldo Lake, Alpine, Cape Mt. and Phil's Trails.

Good luck! My wife likes to keep me on a short leash but at least she gives me time to ride. Negociate more time brother, you'd hate to visit Oregon and miss some of the best riding in the U.S.

So far,I can desert her one entire day but the rest of the days have to be "early curfew"

I'm sure I can negotiate one more full day once we're on vacation and she's been pampered some.
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 03-16-2008 at 05:48 PM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog

Thanks in advance, Fred
    Remember that is gets light earlier in Oregon than Cali. You could start riding as the sun comes up @ ~5:30.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Sounds like you are coming up through the south part of the state? Knowing more about the route you want to take would help out. My wife and I travel around Oregon througout the year with a 35' fiver, my wife rides but we also do more when we visit the areas we go to. Also how long of trip, in days, are you looking to do? do you want to go somewhere and stay for the entire time, or move around?

There are plenty of areas around Oregon you can head to, get 2-3hr rides in, plenty of epic rides, hiking, fishing, camping, shopping, sight seeing, etc...

I know it doesn't answer your question yet, but fill in some of the blanks and I'm sure we can provide some good options.

We'll most likely be zig zagging on the move for 10-14 days.

The mandatory stops to visit relatives are in Lebanon., Salem/Canby and Depoe Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Remember that is gets light earlier in Oregon than Cali. You could start riding as the sun comes up @ ~5:30.
    That's the plan. I have a bad reputation with the other Trogs as a very early riser.

Tree Hugger
    Lebanon isn't far from Eugene. You could come out for a Wed night ride if you can escape the family. July night rides are the best. Sunsets from mountaintops.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Ashland area give's some option's for riding and sight seeing, a good place to stop on the way north on I5, spend the night ride from town for a couple hours, check out the local shops and head north.

Roseburg, there is the Umpqua Trail about 20 miles east of I5, a good day on the bike at 70 miles one way... Not much else to do in Roseburg, IMHO

Eugene, just south of Lebanon about 25 miles, and west of Oakridge by 45 miles. If you could get a couple days up in Oakridge it would be worth the side trip, Casey's RV Park is a nice place to stay, but reserve well ahead to get a space in July. Plenty of moring rides, depending on what you are looking for and how fast you like to ride. Epic's, plenty of them at that as well. You can also talk to Randy at Oregon Adventures and get a full shuttle on the Middle Fork Trail, a 30 mile day of the trail. Or if you like more climbing there is several routes that can be done. In my opinion stay away from Waldo in July, a lot of mosuito's, plus with our snow pack this year it will probably be July/August by the time it get's cleared of snow.

Another option out of Eugene is McKenzie River Trail, stay at Belknap Hot Springs RV park which is right on the trail, do an all day out and back, for about 50 miles of awesome singletrack.

Out of the Salem area there are some other local rides, depending on where you stay, there are some local boys on the forum that could direct you more than I could. Silver Falls state park has some good riding in it and around it that make it worth the trip as well, plus there is a place to stay at the State Park for motorhomes.

On the coast by Depot Bay area, if you can get north towards Tillamook area there is some great riding, or south towards Florence. Maybe some coastal boys can chime in and help out for around Depoe Bay. If you don't have a place to park your motorhome on the coast, aka family, then make sure to reserve something early, our coast is almost impossible to find a camping spot on during the summer months for a motorhome.

If you can get two days on the bike, I would shoot for one on the Umpqua on the way up, then the other on the McKenzie a few days later, after a stop in the Oakridge area.

If you are looking for ride companions when you are closer to the trip post up and I know people will jump at the chance to get out and ride
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Thanks everyone! There are more than enough options.

Now to get planning and reserving.

When the time gets close, I'll post up the itinerary and maybe we can hook up.

Until the next best ride ever....fdt