mtbr member

Visiting Bend next week

I actually grew up in Redmond, but haven't lived there since 1991. I don't know if MTB trails even existed back then, and I only rode on the road. I'm visiting Redmond next week, for the first time in a while when it shouldn't be snowy and freezing, (I hope). I'm living in PA now, and miss the mountains. If you only had one day to ride in the Bend/Redmond area, and wanted lots of climbing, which trail would you ride, and where is the best place to rent a bike for it?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Skyliner trailhead/Tumalo Creek/South Fork/Flagline/Metolius-Windigo/Farewell/Tumalo Creek/finish is about 25 miles or so.

Rentals:
    Pine Mountain Sports | Trek, Santa Cruz Mountain Bikes, Bike Rentals Sales Service and Rentals. Cross Country, Back Country, Telemark Skiing
    Hutchs Bicycles | Bend, Klamath Falls & Redmond, Oregon

FKA Malibu412
    Nat knows. Looks like the forecast gives a wide enough window weather-wise.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. Do you have an estimate about how many vertical feet the loop is? I would assume with the recommendation, that it is still snow free. I was also wondering, how well are the trails marked? Is it easy to figure out which is which? It looks like a great loop.

Anybody want to go for a 25 mile trail ride next week (most likely the 25th, 26th, or 27th)?

Looks like I might have to check out the Maston area too, as it i just a few miles from my folks house. Frankly, I'm surprised Eagle Crest hasn't swallowed that up too yet.

Afric Pepperbird
    That's a fine ride, but I'd like to recommend another:

Start at Bend's Shevlin Park. Ride The Shevlin Park trail-->Mrazek--> Farewell--> Tumalo Creek Trail--> Skyliners Trail--> Lower Whoops--> Ben's Trail--> (Cross Skyliners road)--> singletrack trail (sorry, forget the name) to the back entrance of Shevlin Park.

It's truly a great loop with lots of climbing. All of the above trails can be found on the Adventure Maps map of Bend. This map is found in every bike shop in town.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    That's a fine ride, but I'd like to recommend another:

Start at Bend's Shevlin Park. Ride The Shevlin Park trail-->Mrazek--> Farewell--> Tumalo Creek Trail--> Skyliners Trail--> Lower Whoops--> Ben's Trail--> (Cross Skyliners road)--> singletrack trail (sorry, forget the name) to the back entrance of Shevlin Park.
    That would be an excellent ride, Dirt Farmer. I do not know if that unnamed singletrack trail has a name. If not, what shall we call it? Shevlin Connector?

If the weather holds out like it is right now, people might want to get up to the higher elevation trails as much as possible before winter sets in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd definitely recommend Pine Mountain Sports in terms of both bike rentals and gleaning insights to good/local single track options. That said, anywhere at Phil's is good - best single track in the Nation. If you're looking for a 17-18 mile loop with both technical & vert. included, try Phil's Trail to Storm King to Grand Slam and then back to Phil's. This ride will provide a decent warm-up as you climb Phil's Canyon which then leads you to the Heli Pad. I've never measured the vertical accent but it must be over a 1500 vertical maybe more. The caveat is that most of this vert. is achieved over a relatively short distance i.e. approx 1.5 miles. Once you've completed the "killer" climb - it's then time to rip the DH back down.....Buy a map while you're at Pine Mountain Sports. The owners name is Dan & the Mngr. name is Mark - both good dudes. Have fun!
    Last edited by JJ Mars; 10-21-2011 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    THanks for the trail ride idea NAT. If I can get off work I might do that today. Was planning on doing Smith-Gray butte.