mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Visiting; Trails in Bend?

My fiance and I are visiting family in La Pine, and figured we'd be out of luck as far as weather goes...but seeing as the weather God's have smiled upon us, what is our best bet for the 'essential' rides to hit in the Bend area?

I hear names like "Phil's", "Lair", "Ben's", etc, but wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think we should hit. We are from Redding, CA, which has a pretty nice trail system, but would love to try out the trails around here.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    You're in luck as long as you can dress for cold. I don't see any weather in the forecast for several days, and people have been biking still, although you'll be limited to the lower elevation trails. They don't have much elevation change but they're still fun. Start at Phil's trailhead and pick one of the routes that start from there. Are you looking for xc riding? I like going up Phil's to Rd. 300 then down Ben's for a one hour xc type loop. The reverse is pretty good too.

The network is a maze of trails that intersect, so buy a trail map from any of the Bend bike shops to help figure out where you are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you. I am going to hit up some of the shops in Bend tomorrow to pick up a map and get some more input. Seems that Phils is the way to go for starters. Any recomendations on bike shops with the most helpful staff? The list of shops in town is staggering for a town that size.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrick View Post
    Thank you. I am going to hit up some of the shops in Bend tomorrow to pick up a map and get some more input. Seems that Phils is the way to go for starters. Any recomendations on bike shops with the most helpful staff? The list of shops in town is staggering for a town that size.
    Webcyclery or Pine Mountain Sports
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    webcyclery or pine mountain sports
    +1.

Do you guys need bikes? I usually rent from Pine Mountain Sports when my father in law comes to town and wants to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I assume Peterson Ridge must be fairly good to go?

Thinking about heading over later in the week if the forecast holds up...

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    Thinking about heading over later in the week if the forecast holds up...
    Pretty safe to assume so. I would highly value a report! Want to head out that way myself this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    +1.

Do you guys need bikes? I usually rent from Pine Mountain Sports when my father in law comes to town and wants to ride.

We are renting one bike, and went by Pine Mountain today and got it all set up. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Peterson Ridge is in great shape . recent blow down gave us a new log ride. east leg. thanks to john

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by warren@realm View Post
    Peterson Ridge is in great shape . recent blow down gave us a new log ride. east leg. thanks to john
    COOL! More tech features on Peterson Ridge are welcome!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the help. Had a great two days riding from Phil's trailhead. First day rode Marvin's to COD and worked our way back to Kent's on down. Today went up Ben's past road 300 all the way up Skyliner's and did the full whoops trail...the first half is snow/ice mix, but rideable, the last half was pure bliss!

I have ridden many different places over the years, and never have I had such an overall positive experience from the people. Everyone we ran into was happy to chat, give advice, and help. Had a low rear shock and found a gent nice enough to let me use his shock pump, even though he was hurrying to pick up his son at school. Had multiple people give us route advice. The people at Pine Mountain Sports were wonderful to rent from, as were the staff at Hutch's when I blew a seal on my rear shock the first day...fixed it first thing in the morning today while we waited so we could hit the trails.

With my fiance's family living a short jaunt away in La Pine, I'll definitely be back to explore more of the trails around here come spring.

Afric Pepperbird
    Tomorrow I'll be starting at Phil's TH and heading out on Marvin's to the DRT, and taking that all the way to Sunriver and back.

If you're still in town, check it out. It's a fun ride.

I'm loving this sunny-yet-cool weather (todays 56 degrees being the exception to the "cool").