mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Vehicle hire in Portland for carrying bikes

Hello,

Coming to Portland/Oregon from the UK at the end of August.

We are planning on taking in all the riding hotspots in a two week tour.

To get round them we need a vehicle. Last year in California for four of us we hired a Ford E350 (I think it could seat 12) from Budget at SFO airport and took out a couple of rows of seats leaving plenty of room for bikes. It was great but perhaps overkill but the only alternative was this SUV thing (Chevy Tahoe?) that didn't really have room for four bikes in bags standing upright in the back.

This year there are only three of us so the same E350 vehicle seems even more like overkill.

We are wondering if there is an alternative vehicle we could hire that would be a bit smaller but still seat three and have a flat cargo area in the back where we could put the bikes. But not knowing American cars well we are not sure what to look for, in the UK we would get something like a VW Transporter, the back rows of seats fold into the floor in these and leave a big flat area?

The other alternative is to hire a vehicle with a towbar rack for the bikes but not sure if hire car companies do this often.

It would be great if someone could suggest some suitable vehicles and where we should look to hire these?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Vehicle hire in Portland for carrying bikes

Rent a pickup truck.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Google "portland minivan rental". Most of the Dodge/Chrysler minivans have a backseat that folds into the floor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ah, should have said that I don't think a pickup is the right solution for us, security considerations mean we could do with a space inside the vehicle to keep our stuff safe when we ride.

I got nothin'
    +1 on the minivan idea. Most national/international car rental agencies have minivans for rent.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What are the suitable brands and models of minivan that have the features we are looking for? I know it may sound odd but we don't really have the same brands as in the US so very hard to name the models we are looking for.

We need seating for three and then I guess at least 6 feet of clear space for the bike bags and other bags.

Professional Troll
    Honda Odyssey is probably the best minivan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, Honda Odyssey, Toyota sienna, Dodge caravan, Hyundai entourage, kia Sedona etc.

If I were you guys I would stick with the bigger van ...Ford E150 or equivalent as your MUCH less likely to mess up the interior with your bikes etc. Get a ford E150 cargo van & you won't even have to remove any seats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Google "portland minivan rental". Most of the Dodge/Chrysler minivans have a backseat that folds into the floor.
    basically that. And that's what you'll primarily find in the rental fleets

Grand Voyager | MPV Passenger Car | Chrysler UK - www.chrysler.co.uk (of course, you're not getting a diesel)

Chrysler's Stow-N-Go means you don't have to remove any seats. They all fold down into the "floor". So you can fold the rear and one of the middle captain's chairs and you can fit all you need. People and gear.