love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007

vandalism related injuries at McCullough Peak, road 680

Seemed worth sharing as a safety heads up; basically, a road closure was "removed" and two riders ended up in ER. Details at https://www.facebook.com/OSUResearch...64927366868447.
    Metolius-Windigo trail steward, COTA 2007-2013

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
    Seemed worth sharing as a safety heads up; basically, a road closure was "removed" and two riders ended up in ER. Details at https://www.facebook.com/OSUResearch...64927366868447.
    The vandals were probably out to make America great again. So many losers on this planet. Personally I'm looking for another inhabitable one.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Someone cut out barricades during an earlier logging closure, and OSU Research Forests pointed out that doing that puts others at risk, since they could then go unknowingly enter an active harvest area.

This is arguably worse, whether by accident or on purpose, as it left a nylon line across the road where people are riding at high speeds.

mtbr member
    I don't get this vandalism at all. What purpose does tearing down a road closure in an active logging area do?

Really, the only thing it could possibly do is get someone injured. It boggles my mind that this happened after the warning that this type of vandalism could injure somebody.

I'd love to see the @sshat vandal(s) that did this prosecuted for trespassing, criminal mischief, assault, and any other charges that could be brought up.

Of course, there is also something to be said for being aware of closure areas for the land you are accessing regardless of whether it is physically posted or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I don't get this vandalism at all. What purpose does tearing down a road closure in an active logging area do?
    Some people seem to have this sense that they should be allowed to go wherever they want, and will tear down any fence or obstruction in order to go there. Even if it means going under an actively moving harvester or yarder or crane. Seems merely tragic and stupid in most cases (i.e. Darwin awards), but whomever did this is at least partially responsible for someone else getting hurt.

Of course, there is also something to be said for being aware of closure areas for the land you are accessing regardless of whether it is physically posted or not.
    Definitely. This summer I've been paying a lot of attention to closures, harvests, spraying, races, anything that I can find out before I plan a trip or a ride. In the particular case of the Oak Creek drainage I did manage to get out and ride some trails between the end of the Broom Stick harvest and the resumption of the Quick Draw harvest, but only barely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Some people seem to have this sense that they should be allowed to go wherever they want, and will tear down any fence or obstruction in order to go there. Even if it means going under an actively moving harvester or yarder or crane. Seems merely tragic and stupid in most cases (i.e. Darwin awards), but whomever did this is at least partially responsible for someone else getting hurt.
    Agreed. Some people have this sense of entitlement and expectation that just because they planned to ride a certain trail or road or climbed a hill that it entitles them to continue on their intended route no matter what.

What I still don't get is why somebody would waste the time and effort to remove a barricade and cut or tear down fencing across an entire road, but then leave the nylon rope that was holding up the fencing.

Unless.........your intent is to injure someone, specifically mountain bikers.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    What I still don't get is why somebody would waste the time and effort to remove a barricade and cut or tear down fencing across an entire road, but then leave the nylon rope that was holding up the fencing.

Unless.........your intent is to injure someone, specifically mountain bikers.
    Now there's a question worthy of being pondered.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.