mtbr member

Unicycling on OPB

Unicycling on a mountain? Check it out
    Mountain unicycling is too insane to be the next craze but too much fun to be ignored, said the staff of "Oregon Field Guide," which will feature the sport at 8:30 p.m. Thursday on the stations of Oregon Public Broadcasting (Comcast channel 10).
    The crew of "Oregon Field Guide," an outdoor-activities show, will show how it's done, who's doing it and what it takes to keep a one-wheeled machine from careening out of control on a rocky forest trail.
    The mountain unicycle segment is an examination of one of the strangest and toughest ways to have fun outdoors.
    Two Bend men insist that unicycles aren't just for circus rings and have modified them with fat tires and bouncy seats and have taken them off-road, which is not any easier than it looks.
    This edition of "Oregon Field Guide" will be repeated at 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Video clips of the stories featured on "Oregon Field Guide" can be viewed online immediately following the broadcast at www.opb.org/programs/ofg.
    http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...=2007711200334
    Start off slow & taper off from there.

meatier showers
    If this is the same recycled off-road unicycle OFG segment that's been showing on OPB for years, it's great. If so, it features Wade Beauchamp (the Vulture of Vulture Cycles) and Eugene Cathcart (formerly of Bend but now living in Oakridge).

Eugene Cathcart is also remembered as the youngest rider ever to complete the Cascade Cream Puff 100 Mile race (1st place Junior in 2000 with a time of 11:35, 26th place overall. Sorry, I don't remember Eugene's age at the time.) I'm pretty sure his "youngest ever" record still stands, anyway.

The OFG unicycle segment has been running for years and personally I hope they never stop repeating it. That is, IF it's the same one... if not, well then I guess I wish I owned a television.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If this is the same recycled off-road unicycle OFG segment that's been showing on OPB for years, it's great. If so, it features Wade Beauchamp (the Vulture of Vulture Cycles) and Eugene Cathcart (formerly of Bend but now living in Oakridge).

Eugene Cathcart is also remembered as the youngest rider ever to complete the Cascade Cream Puff 100 Mile race (1st place Junior in 2000 with a time of 11:35, 26th place overall. Sorry, I don't remember Eugene's age at the time.) I'm pretty sure his "youngest ever" record still stands, anyway.

The OFG unicycle segment has been running for years and personally I hope they never stop repeating it. That is, IF it's the same one... if not, well then I guess I wish I owned a television.

--Sparty
    Not sure how old Eugene was then, but this year - 16 year-old Ty from Oakridge completed it. They both work at Willamette Mtn Mercantile in Oakridge. Having done a day of trail work with Ty I can say he's one of the most together 16 year old kids I've known. Go Ty!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Not sure how old Eugene was then, but this year - 16 year-old Ty from Oakridge completed it. They both work at Willamette Mtn Mercantile in Oakridge. Having done a day of trail work with Ty I can say he's one of the most together 16 year old kids I've known. Go Ty!
    Right! Young Ty is a helluva guy and a helluva rider.

I was thinking that Eugene was 14 when he completed the Puff... but could this possibly be right? Seems mighty young for such a brutal endurance event.

I'll bet shiggy remembers.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Right! Young Ty is a helluva guy and a helluva rider.

I was thinking that Eugene was 14 when he completed the Puff... but could this possibly be right? Seems mighty young for such a brutal endurance event.

I'll bet shiggy remembers.

--Sparty
    Eugene was 17 or 18 at the time.

Both He and Ty are good people in all respects.

OPB digs out that muni piece every year at pledge time. I have it on video tape someplace.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cheezy Rider
    Thanks for posting that, I'll have to check it out. I've run into a uni in Mac Forest a couple times, the guy is hardcore.