Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Afric Pepperbird

Unauthorized trail building in Forest Park?

Caught on tape? By the Oregon Field Guide crew??

I used to live in Portland, and agree that it's taking forever and ever and ever and ever to get biking singletrack in there. Maybe I'll see it by the time I'm 80 years old.

But it has to be done properly. This can only give biking a black eye.
    Last edited by dirt farmer; 02-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    On the one hand:
    It's pretty lame that someone did this. I agree it's vandelism by a small and selfish group, of a beautiful public resource that belongs to all. This type of action doesn't help anything or anyone to achieve the desired end result of mt. biking in the park. ...Or bike access overall.

On the other hand:
    Something needs to light a fire under the beauracratic nit-wits to put some legitimate plans for mt. bike access in place sooner than later. The conversation has been serious for a few years now and it's total B.S. that the folks running the joint have yet to come up with a plan. Their talk is cheap and tiresome.

I agree with the closing of the story and Frank Selker's assessment of the situation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Such a frustrating situation, but NWTA needs to use this to their advantage. The commissioners appear to be legitimately open/interested in expanding singletrack mtb opportunities in Forest Park. However, make no mistake, for the opposing groups the only acceptable result is no new trails whatsoever and no expanded mountian biking opportunities. They will actively try to use this news as an example of mountain bikes tearing up the park, mountain bikers not being responsible stewards, and not worth trusting--whether they say it in the open or not. This does NOT have to be a black eye. Rather, it should be used to show the city and the oppostion that this is going to happen either the right way or the wrong way. Better for everyone involved to do things the right way.

As much as I disrespect vigilante trail building, sometimes its the swift kick in the butt needed to get the powers that be to recognize a problem. I know many will disagree, but you should check out the Freedom Riders movie and see how that turned out.

I got nothin'

In the Oregonian

Yep, I read the article in the Oregonian this morning. First thing I thought when I saw the headline was "oh f#$k." I had heard the rumors but now it's out for all to see. Now the opposition groups have something more arguments to hold onto, even though I see a lot of rouge trails from hikers in Forest Park not to mention the West Hills. Improper hiking trails also cause erosion, habitat, and plant damage too.

Rouge trail building has been an issue now for a number of years...pent up demand with no outlet. Unfortunately this type of activity usually creates setbacks and additional tensions between the MTB community and land managers. Hopefully it turns out well in the end.

I guess my message for the rouge builders is why don't you use some of your energy to get involved to create legal trails. That way we can all enjoy them, land managers are happy, more trails get built....it's a win-win-win.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Obviously Single

They are trying ...

I believe NWTA is trying their hardest to use this and other events to move Forest Park in the right direction.

I am trying to work with NWTA to create a National Bike Patrol in the park. I think this would help in several ways:
    • Evidence of self-policing
    • Better PR
    • Actual help (directions, first aid) for hikers and bikers
    • Better to change policies from inside

I have lived around PDX for about 5 years now, and I've been asked in the past to help with Forest Park, but the time was not right then, in my opinion. But the time to address this has arrived.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

endoguy
    This does represent an opportunity to pursue more trails for mountain biking. To make available already existing trails , i.e. firelanes 2 and 7, would be better than what is available now. I agree that the building of "illegal" trails represents the frustrations we riders have. Something needs to be done for the mountain bike riding population or else this behavior of independently building trails will persist.

ronbo613
    Well, I just saw this story on the news and the cops are looking for the people who made the trails.
    As much as I disrespect vigilante trail building, sometimes its the swift kick in the butt needed to get the powers that be to recognize a problem.
    The "powers that be" are now looking to arrest some "vigilante trail" builders. Apparently; OPB has some footage of a confrontation with bikers working on the trail. Note to vigilantes; when you are doing something illegal; don't do it on video.
    Even without knowing all the details; this is most likely not going to help the mountain biking cause in that area.

FKA Malibu412

One of the top news stories on ch 8

Followed the Collins jury decision story...the way it was timed and spun, one might have thought it was on the same level as these two thugs beating a XC skier. Love tree huggin' Portland and our local media giving what people want.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 02-24-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Too much effort for little return

Yep, illegal trail building is right up there with sex abuse and terrorism. No, but really, bad situation for mountain bikers in PDX. The idiots who did it should be fined.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-24-2010 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wow. Check out the video. Those guys should go home, get girlfriends, and get laid. Instead, they're out dicking around in the woods, making a mess, and setting back mtb access. Thanks a lot.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Get girlfriends?

Quote Originally Posted by charley289
    Wow. Check out the video. Those guys should go home, get girlfriends, and get laid. Instead, they're out dicking around in the woods, making a mess, and setting back mtb access. Thanks a lot.
    Stay single and ride until your legs turn into rocks. Oh, I guess my chance at that has flown away

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Stay single and ride until your legs turn into rocks. Oh, I guess my chance at that has flown away
    Yeah, too late for me. I got the woman bug before I got the bike bug.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Just saw the story on Channel 8 news. The anchorman was stressing that it was through a pristine part of FP and its estimated damage is $80K. If the NWTA and its members rally and do some volunteer efforts to repair the area to its natural state in a sustainable manner, then I agree this could lead to something good. Although, these idiots that built the stuff should do some time or pay major fines.

meatier showers
    Dang. For a minute there I hoped we might have an answer to the never ending "Where to ride mountain bikes in Portland?" question.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Dang. For a minute there I hoped we might have an answer to the never ending "Where to ride mountain bikes in Portland?" question.

--Sparty
    In Portland, we just call them road bikes

mtbr member
    I think it's funny how Forest Park is considered "Pristine" yeah, it's a cool place for a quick reprieve, but come on...I don't think there is a place in both Washington and Forest Park that aren't covered in a carpet of English Ivy or infested with Garlic Mustard and Holly. And they want to protect this from mt bikes.

I'll say it again, Forest Park is plenty big for New mt bikes trails to be built that wont harm the "pristine" enviroment in Forest Park. I wont hold my breath though.

And yeah, these guys kinda suck, there are appropriate places and times to do stuff like this and this isn't the time nor place.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Apparently; OPB has some footage of a confrontation with bikers working on the trail
    Umm, yeah. Did you see my original post? The video clip is right there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I think it's funny how Forest Park is considered "Pristine" yeah, it's a cool place for a quick reprieve, but come on...I don't think there is a place in both Washington and Forest Park that aren't covered in a carpet of English Ivy or infested with Garlic Mustard and Holly. And they want to protect this from mt bikes.
    Not to mention... power lines, gas lines, how many tons of gravel were used for Leif Erickson... etc. Why isn't there a big stink about reclaiming the fireroads and restoring those sections of the park?

I'm certainly not saying it's cool to blaze trails at whim in the park, but let's keep things in perspective.

I'm honestly surprised the mainstream / non-bike-centric media picked up on this at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    I'm honestly surprised the mainstream / non-bike-centric media picked up on this at all.
    That's the kicker right there. Most likely, opposition groups found out about this and actively used their connections in the press to make this a bigger story than it needed to be. Sadly, the mountain bike groups simply don't have the connections and political clout needed to swing the story back to the middle. The headline could have read something like "Illegal Trail Building in Forest Park Underscores the Need for More SingleTrack Mountain Bike Trails in Portland."

Steve Dallas wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    "Illegal Trail Building in Forest Park Underscores the Need for More SingleTrack Mountain Bike Trails in Portland."
    Brilliant!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    80k in damages?,that's the conservationalist guys paying themselves with tax payer money for hanging out in the woods.

Is dang happy!

Agree with you there.

Not to mention... power lines, gas lines, how many tons of gravel were used for Leif Erickson... etc. Why isn't there a big stink about reclaiming the fireroads and restoring those sections of the park?

I'm certainly not saying it's cool to blaze trails at whim in the park, but let's keep things in perspective.

Not to mention the daily "treks" (lunchbreaks) the city parks/fire department take 10,000 trucks up and down the LE trail which causes the most erosion. Oh and all those pristine little creeks flowing from the septic systems of the developments on the ridge. The damage estimates these lawyers come up with is always complete BS until you factor in the salaries of everyone of the thumb-twiddlers who have nothing better to do than find a cause to throw the public's $ at.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    "Illegal Trail Building in __________ Underscores the Need for More SingleTrack Mountain Bike Trails in ___________."

This was a central theme in my discussions with ODF during the run-up to starting Blackrock. Which they understood all too well. In fact, most land mgt. agencies recognize that illegal activity such as trail building represents a growing need. Rather than let them spend a few years researching the matter (then breaking ground) I provided them with all the data they'd discover on their own by 2025.

I started small. Repair existing trails. Then build a sample trail to prove the merits contained in my engineering & mgt. standard. They check it out, we collectively tweek a few a things and a few thousand hours later you got a great thing.

I find it sadly ironic that the decision makers in such a "green" city are thus far failing, it seems, to address the needs of a niche group - who undoubtedly do their part to "Keep Portland Weird"
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

meatier showers
    I make my living off the evening news
    Just give me something, something I can use
    People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

ronbo613
    I make my living off the evening news
    Just give me something, something I can use