mtbr member
    Oct 2005

UMPQUA TRAIL - how to ride?

Thinking of riding some of the Umpqua this Saturday. What are the must do sections? Is there a shuttle service so the trail can be done as a single day point to point ride? What would it be like to do the entire trail as an out and back ride?

Thanks for your help and input!

Tree Hugger
    AT 79 miles in length, doing the entire trail as an out and back could only be described as super-human. The upper parts may be under snow right now, but probably not. The forecast calls for snow on Saturday, so you'd better hurry!

If you want the best 35-40 miles, ride from the top of Dread and Terror down to the end of Calf section. For a shorter route, approx 25 miles, still start at the top of Dread and Terror, but stop at the end of Deer Leap.

There are no official shuttle services, but contact the Dry Creek store at Illahee Flats, or other local businesses and the owner's will shuttle you if they have the time.

The only real map is published by "Treadmaps" and they carry them at Paul's bike shop in Eugene, and should be able to find them in Roseburg. The map includes a brief description of each section, and an elevation profile along with all the trailheads and access roads. There used to be a great interactive map online that the BLM had, but I can't find it anymore.

Have fun, and let us know if you are successful in riding the entire trail as an out n back!!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of which, how's the poison oak on the lower sections holding up? Giving way to mud yet?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here's the link for the trail map.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua/publi...l-brochure.pdf

You can also pick up the updated pamphlet from the forest service in Roseburg or Glide. It now shows that the Calf segment is open again. Soda Springs Road was still closed a couple of weeks ago, but the sign says its supposed to open November 1. No problems with the poison oak now. The lower section generally stays in good shape through winter. There are a couple of short stretches in the middle of Tioga that get real marshy once the rain starts, but there should be no problems now other than a little bit of blow down.

mtbr member
    I rode part of the lower section of the Tioga last week. The trail was in really good shape and there were only a few trees downed trees then.

Sas is right. You'd have to be Superman in order to ride the entire trail as an out and back in one day. The nice thing about the NUT is that you have a lot of different ride options. The trail is divided into about 11 sections of varying lenghts so you can easily do some of the shorter sections as an out and back and still put in as much or as little mileage as you like.

I don't know if they run a shuttle this time of year or not but Umpqua Ridge and River Excursions may be able to set you up http://www.umpquarivers.com/

Good luck and maybe we'll see you out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm concerned about the forecast for the weekend and may just stay in Ashland and do a little more exploring here. We'll see what it looks like Friday evening ;-)

Toby Wong?
    Lemolo Lake to Tokatee Lake.

finest 25 miles of riding ANYWHERE.

lets not make it a religion, it is recreation