mtbr member

Umpqua Dred n Terror OAB questions

Our plan is to try and camp at Toketee campground on a Sunday evening in late July, then head out Monday morning to do the Dred and Terror section as an out and back from camp. I have been reading some of the notes for this trail, and I'm a little confused on how to ride it. I understand the easier direction is East to West from Lemolo lake?

Does it make since to ride it as a loop going East first on 3401 to Lemolo lake and then coming back west on NUT? we don't care if it is a boring fire road if it cuts the mileage and is easier

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    Our plan is to try and camp at Toketee campground on a Sunday evening in late July, then head out Monday morning to do the Dred and Terror section as an out and back from camp. I have been reading some of the notes for this trail, and I'm a little confused on how to ride it. I understand the easier direction is East to West from Lemolo lake?

Does it make since to ride it as a loop going East first on 3401 to Lemolo lake and then coming back west on NUT? we don't care if it is a boring fire road if it cuts the mileage and is easier

Better as an out and back. There is no shorter or easier way to ride as a loop.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    This is what I found confusing:

"The ride can be shortened six uneventful miles by starting at the FR3401 Umpqua Hot Springs TH. The trail section on the north side of the river up to FR3401 is not well suited for biking, making the FR3401 Umpqua Hot Springs TH the better "

North Umpqua River Trail: Dread and Terror Mountain Biking and Hiking Trail #1414

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    This is what I found confusing:

"The ride can be shortened six uneventful miles by starting at the FR3401 Umpqua Hot Springs TH. The trail section on the north side of the river up to FR3401 is not well suited for biking, making the FR3401 Umpqua Hot Springs TH the better "

North Umpqua River Trail: Dread and Terror Mountain Biking and Hiking Trail #1414
    The road bypass for that section is slightly shorter, but the trail is very rideable. I would use it only as a bailout on the way back. It does nothing to get you to the east end of D&T. That guide is saying to start or end riding at the eastern hot springs TH, about 6 trail miles from the campground..
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    thanks. can't wait to get up there!