Thread: U.B.I Ashland

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! U.B.I Ashland

Some of you may recall my previous post in this forum. I do not pretend to be an expert in the matters of the United Bicycle Institute, but I do plan on enrolling. Any feedback on the college would be helpful. I plan to take their advanced mechanics class, that also teaches shop operation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is going to sound a bit trollish but, IMO.. there is nothing complicated enough about bicycle mechanisms that justifies a $900 per week school.

Maybe if one has their heart set on being a shop wrench and the paper is the only way to a position.

mtbr member
    Yes, it is pricy but for me it is more about getting that certification. Nevertheless I think that it would be worth it even if I did not get the certification. Call me a wrench if you want, I defiantly have an obsession with repairing bikes as well as riding them. Oh and the price for me in total will be 1800 I will be taking their two week course. May I remind you that the cost includes half off on bulk tool sets, but I suppose that this is the same sort of incentive that infomercials use to get you to pay 20 dollars for 2 objects. Anyway for me it i worth the investment.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just to be clear, I mean no disrespect by using the term wrench. I wrenched in a bike shop while in high school. My background is primarily in manufacturing machinery maintenance and repair so I'm a wrench. I'm proud to be a wrench and able to repair or rebuild any kind of mechanical device and most electrical devices.

If the cert is needed to obtain employment, then yes, it may be worth the cost. If learning to work on bikes for yourself and friends is the goal, then use the a fraction of that tuition to buy some tools and possibly a couple books. Then get started working on a bike. Heck, even buy a few beaters off Craigslist if you need something to practice on. You'll be money ahead.

mtbr member
    I take no disrespect, I am a wrench. Its kinda like how obamacare was supposed to be a bad term, but the supporters of the plan adopted it. Anyway I do have enployment ambitions, I would like to work my way through college as a bike mechanic!
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Having attended the class you mention followed by the suspension and wheel seminars, I was impressed. My "Its just a simple bike" know it all attitude was shut down by the second day of class. I learned much more than the program cost me. The faculty is awesome and you'll learn from the experience. If you can already overhaul a Boxxer and properly spec and build a bomb wheelset than you might not need the classes. Otherwise go for it.

mtbr member
    Awesome, I was hoping to hear rave reviews like this.
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Enrolled yet? ^^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    Enrolled yet? ^^^^
    I would like to; however, funds are tight and I will be unabel to until after this upcomming summer.
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^^Ahh just wondering as I'm heading there soon for some schooling.... If I remember I will let you know how it goes. Or you can reminder me in the new year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    ^^^Ahh just wondering as I'm heading there soon for some schooling.... If I remember I will let you know how it goes. Or you can reminder me in the new year.
    Awesome, I will make sure to follow up!
    -Thoreau