mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Two weeks in Oregon. Where to ride?

Hi there,

We are three friends, heading over to Oregon at the end of August for two weeks of riding. We want to take in the best Oregon has to offer. We'll be hiring our own transport but we might also be going on some guided tours. What would you recommend that we do with our two weeks?

We like all sorts of riding. We would like the odd day-long XC ride but we will definitely be taking in some shuttles. We are reasonably good riders. We have previously visited and enjoyed Northern California, Utah and British Columbia.

Any recommendations for trails, accommodation, guiding companies, shuttles or anything else of use are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Keppoch

mtbr member
    Recent thread covered this. Strong consensus around Bend, Oakridge, McKenzie River, North Umpqua, Black Rock, Sandy Ridge.

Thread:
    Must ride trails in a week's time

mtbr member
    If you can't make it early enough for Mt Bike Oregon, contact Randy at Oregon Adventures, Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures, for shuttle options in the Oakridge area. Bend is under a couple hours from Oakridge as is the McKenzie River Trail. You could also hit the North Umpqua Trail on your way through (depending on your point of origin) & go for all 79 miles in one day if you're feeling strong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    With 2 full weeks, you can really get in some great riding and non-riding. Absolutely have to do Bend & Oakridge. With that much time, I would also mix in Hood River, just for the cool town. Bend offers more trail, for sure, but Hood River also has the great free ride area. Bend and Hood River offer the best as far as time once you get off your bike. Both offer great bars, restaurants, and other sports. Bend offers great fishing, golf, rafting, mt. climbing, etc. Hood River offers great sail/kite boarding, snow skiing (Timberline), etc. I believe they are #1 & #2 in the nation for breweries per capita. Because both have so much going on, these two towns have the best vibe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OK thanks for those suggestions, I have checked out the other threads and this is our plan as it stands, what do you think?

Day 1: Arrive Portland
    Day 2: Drive south along coast
    Day 3: Drive to Ashland, evening shuttle
    Day 4: Ashland riding, drive to Crater Lake
    Day 5: Crater Lake activities drive to Oakridge
    Day 6: Riding Oakridge
    Day 7: Riding Oakridge
    Day 8: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 9: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 10: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 11: Bend
    Day 12: Bend
    Day 13: Hood River/Mt Hood
    Day 14: Hood River/Mt Hood, travel to Portland
    Day 15: Portland
    Day 16: Travel home

mtbr member
    The Oregon coast is gorgeous. However, if I were focusing strictly on the bike riding, I would visit Black Rock on Day 2 (or even day 1, depending on what time you arrive in PDX and get sorted).

Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

Everything else looks epic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keppoch View Post
    OK thanks for those suggestions, I have checked out the other threads and this is our plan as it stands, what do you think?

Day 1: Arrive Portland
    Day 2: Drive south along coast
    Day 3: Drive to Ashland, evening shuttle
    Day 4: Ashland riding, drive to Crater Lake
    Day 5: Crater Lake activities drive to Oakridge
    Day 6: Riding Oakridge
    Day 7: Riding Oakridge
    Day 8: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 9: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 10: Cogwild - McKenzie River Hotel tour
    Day 11: Bend
    Day 12: Bend
    Day 13: Hood River/Mt Hood
    Day 14: Hood River/Mt Hood, travel to Portland
    Day 15: Portland
    Day 16: Travel home
    Looks pretty sweet to me. You will get a damned good flavor of Oregon with that.

With the time in Hood River, you can get some free-ride action (Post Canyon) in without doing Black Rock. But depending on which way you go to the coast, you could hit Black Rock for even a few hours if you went to the beach through Dallas/Monmouth/Corvallis/Toledo/Newport, skipping Seaside/Cannon Beach/Tillamook/Lincoln City (Cannon Beach and Seaside are neat beach towns, though, so you might prefer skipping Black Rock just to get in those beach towns).

Another "by the way", you will be driving down the North Umpqua when going between Crater Lake and Oakridge, so you might find a way to take in a bit of that trail on the way, time permitting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Gaucho,

Thanks I think you make some good points and I had missed North Umpqua so we will try and find a spot for that.

Getting quite excited now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keppoch View Post
    Gaucho,

Thanks I think you make some good points and I had missed North Umpqua so we will try and find a spot for that.

Getting quite excited now!
    No problem. Color me envious. I love living in Bend with the riding we have out our back doors, but I would give you know what to have 2 weeks without responsiblity to just have fun in places like Bend and Hood River, riding and just hanging out, no work or yard work.