mtbr member

Is Tunnel Vision still messed up?

Just wondering if the middle section of Tunnel Vision is still unridable due to the logging. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    *crickets*
    I have not ridden it since the logging, hope it has been cleared. But if not I had heard there was a detour before the mess. Check Openstreetmaps.org.
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i'm guessing someone has re-connected it by now, but i have not been up there in many months. you can see in this google earth screen capture that if you parallel the clear cut boundary where the trail ends, you will tee back in to the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Tunnel Vision still messed up?-tunnel-visipon-logging.jpg  

Wallowa biker
    Sep 2010
    I live at the bottom of the valley near Tunnel Vision and the route is still a mess. Fortunately, the school forest just finished up logging on the east side of the ridge and have moved the yarder to the other side. This opens up the opportunity to rebuild the trail through what is now a clearcut. Logging slash is deep in the clearcut and will probably require a chainsaw and many hours of hand work. Even the upper part of Tunnel Vision has issues. This winter's windstorms have toppled trees over the trail throughout much of its length. The route around the logging operation that some have been using the last few years is very steep and is showing wear. I'm not in favor of making that the permanent route -- it doesn't do much for our image as responsible bike riders to be tearing up that hillside.

What we really need is a work party one of these weekends to reestablish the old route and clean out the upper part to Forest Peak. A number of us who live in the valley would help out since it is used for walking too. The question is whether we should make this a stealth effort or get the school forest's permission. Smuggling in chain saws onto school forest land and whacking away at new trail causes problems. Illegal trail building throughout the forest is becoming a big deal for them. I know the forest manager so I'm willing to talk with him about rebuilding the trail and organizing a sanctioned work weekend. If they say no then we could consider Plan B. If you are local and want to get involved in this let me know. Tunnel Vision is a gem and provides access to one of the most beautiful high peaks around here, Well worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andrusc View Post
    Illegal trail building throughout the forest is becoming a big deal for them. I know the forest manager so I'm willing to talk with him about rebuilding the trail and organizing a sanctioned work weekend. If they say no then we could consider Plan B.
    If plan B means that you are going to go ahead and do the trail work even if they say no, you might not bother asking in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It has always been challenging to work with the powers that be. Just too much liability in letting random yahoos work out there. That combined with their (OSU's) lack of interest in encouraging the illegal trail system...means good luck. A new IMBA chapter was just created in Corvallis, they might be able to make some headway (they have their own insurance)....Who we are | TeamDirt
    that rug really tied the room together.