Tree Hugger

"Trips for Kids" in Oregon goes on it's 1st MTB ride

The Center for Appropriate Transport (CAT) in Eugene, Oregon, recently started the first Oregon chapter of Trek's Trips for kids" MTB program that takes "urban youth" out to the woods to ride Mountain Bikes. Eugene is not quite a metropolis, but there are many kids who don't get to go out of town, and play in the forests 30-45 minutes away.
    Saturday was the first MTB ride for the local Trips for Kids program, and I helped them out for the day. We took 9 kids out to Salmon Creek trail in Oakridge, a great beginner trail without much climbing, and lotsa nice scenery to enjoy. We took a lunch break halfway through the ride, and hung out at Salmon Creek Falls. A few of the kids were such talented riders that I took them on a pretty challenging trail for the 2nd half of the ride. We ended the day with a tour of the local fish hatchery and wildlife museum.

Everyone had a great time, the kids and the adults as well. Thanks go out to the CAT members who organized the trip, including Jan VanderTuin who started the Trips for Kids chapter, John Herberg, the program coordinator and Carl, a ride guide. Thanks to Tom from the City of Eugene's Riverhouse Outdoor Program for driving the bus and bike trailer, and joining us for the fun. Thanks to Allen and Jim from the Disciples of Dirt MTB Club for leading and sweeping the ride. Thanks to John "Raz" Rezell, our local Outdoors journalist who joined us to help with the ride. Thanks to Matt Hansen from Oregon Fish & Wildlife for the informative tour of the Fish hatchery and Museum. Thanks to Paul's Bicycle Way of Life for donating several bikes for kids who were bikeless. And thanks to Trek for starting the Trips for Kids program, and donating 6 bikes to get us started (the bikes haven't arrived yet, but are "in the mail")

Here are some pics from the day.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-07-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Tree Hugger

Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-07-2007 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Bravo!

meatier showers
    Where's the lycra? Didn't anybody donate some lycra?!

Good on ya, volunteers. Way to go, y'all.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Nice work guys!

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

Good on ya, volunteers. Way to go, y'all.

--Sparty

I was worried when I saw how the kids were dressed, but we got lucky with the dry weather, and the kids were all pretty tough. Of course, they all want to look cool, and I doubt they think lycra is cool yet. They are more the cotton t-shirt and jeans crowd with a leather jacket for warmth.

Maybe we can get some folks to donate some casual, yet appropriate cyling gear out of their closets. Polyester sweats and t-shirts would do well, as would gloves and old hydration packs.

Feel free to send your old gear my way, but you better hang onto your old lycra shorts, I don't want to infect the youth with chamois cooties.

Matt

Ya Darn Tootin'!

Kids? Don't lie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

Yea, Sparty.
    ......And what's up with kids with full beards?
    I can't even grow a full beard and I'm in my 30's!

A couple of those kids are hairier than Lou Swing!
    "Kids" my ass.
    More like little Sasquatches. (No offense, Sas.)

Kidding. ....Great job getting them out there to enjoy the outdoors!
    It looked like fun.
    ....think I'm gonna not shave for 3 years and get me a leather jacket for my next ride!

-Abe