stl_burner

Trip Help Request from the Local Knowledge Base

We are a group of 4 to 6 guys looking for a getaway in late July. I've done my internet scouring but can't seem to find the exact spot that we're looking for. We have mainly mountain bikers, and one fisherman. We're looking for a small mountain town in which to set up home base. We'd like to be able to ride to town as well as trails. MTB rentals may be needed but could be picked up elsewhere I guess. Hopefully there is some life in town where we can have a late night or two, but we'd like small. For lodging we'd love to find a cheap cabin ("primitive" is fine) where we can hole up, again riding distance to town and trails. Hopefully there is a river that we can float on rest days. So far my research has turned up too much too keep straight, but we can't seem to find exactly what we're looking for. Are we too picky, misinformed, or do you have the perfect suggestion?

Afric Pepperbird
    Why, that sounds just like Bend! (except for the primitive cabin).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is Bend too big? Because it seems to fit your criteria.

mtbr member
    In no particular order...Hood River, Bend, Oakridge and Ashland.

You could also throw in something in the NE corner of that state too, but you'll be driving long distances to the TH's. Enterprise, Joseph, La Grande or Baker City.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Bend has all that except for the primitive cabin, but if you're looking for lodging that's relatively quiet and out of the hubbub then the Entrada Lodge or this B&B might fit. This B&B is not at all primitive but it's relatively affordable and close to trails and the Deschutes River.
    Entrada Lodge - Bend - USA
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/890899?s=plsM

Camp Sherman has the fishing (on the "legendary Metolius River") but you'd have to drive into Sisters for nightlife and most riding. You'd be relatively close to the Mackenzie River Trail and Peterson Ridge network though. Metolius river cabins Lake Creek Lodge in Camp Sherman Oregon

Maybe Sisters is what you want. It's small (pop. ~2000) but has great riding and enough restaurants and bars for night life. I don't know where they float though.Places to stay - lodging - in Sisters Oregon

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Bend and Sisters do not compare. Peterson Ridge, like the town of Sisters, is ho-hum. Nat's Entrada Lodge suggestion is right on.

stl_burner
    Thank you all for taking the time to provide us with some direction. Now it's time to do a little bit more research based on your suggestions. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ashland has cabins, trails and bike rentals...all trails lead to town too. There is also the Rogue river to float/fish about 1/2 hour away.

Humboldt/Arcata is another option. There are killer trails like Kneeland and the community forest as well as the lost coast trail, there are several rivers to fish and a good night life in downtown arcata as well as a few breweries.

Both are college towns and offer all of what you are looking for. Ashland is set up better for riding/shuttling and Arcata is on the coast so you can hit the beach too.